PDA

View Full Version : The importance of varied, objective-based game modes in custom MP must be emphasised

AlexoEx0
03-12-2018, 08:18 PM
I am concered with the lackluster offering of game modes in Far Cry 5 "Arcade" mode: Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch. I want to stress the importance of objective-based gamemodes in multiplayter custom matches, or simply multiplayer in general. I want to particularly stress the importance for such modes, which include but are not limited to:

- Sector/area control modes that existed in FC2 but was made most famous in the form of the flagship game mode of Battlefield - Conquest. As well as included in the Call of Duty series under the name of "Domination".

- Capture the Flag. A trademark gamemode for multiplayer games going back decades which existed in Far Cry 2 in the form of "Capture the Diamond". Could be given a FC5 slant in the form of "Capture the Bible" or any other such variant appropiate to the current game theme.

Why are these modes so important, particularly for map editors? Because these modes allow map creators to cater the landspace of their maps to objectives which gameplay will inevitably flow from. If a map has particular areas or sections that are varied or stand out to other areas, then there is no better way to ensure gameplay is explored in those areas than to add objectives in those sections.

Simply the 2 aforementioned game modes alone allow the map editor to give their map an idea of how a particular map should be laid out for gameplay to flow the best. For example, a sector control game mode is best done with 3-5 flags spread out evenly, on a more open map and placed in stand-out locations that the creator wants combat to ensue, with a variety of entry points to those sections creating the most desirable gameplay. With a capture the flag-type game mode, it makes more sense for the map to be created more linearly with much greater focus on creating interesting gameplay around each team's bases. Where bases could be created which are quite hard to penetrate through brute force by attackers, but could be created with hidden passages inside the flag room in order to make sneaky escape if you can make it to the flag room.

My point of this post is that I am very concerned with the complete non-existence of any objective-based modes that do so much justice in terms of map design to allow creators to tailor their maps for the kind of areas they want gameplay to ensue - the areas in which the creators want players to explore. TDM and DM modes are not inherintly bad, but they don't do much in terms of guiding players to points of interest that map editors so lovingly create. Going all the way back to Far Cry 2, this game came out with over twice as many modes on launch than FC5. I can't help but feel this is a step back.

usmovers_02
03-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Well FC2 was dominated by DM and TDM and weapon placement is available in FC5 which will draw players to certain parts of the map.

However I would welcome more modes.

Brimtown
03-12-2018, 10:54 PM
I agree with what you're saying regarding objective based maps. However, a good mapmaker can still create a DM/TDM map that channels action into certain areas. Even more so when you introduce weapon placement.

AlexoEx0
03-13-2018, 01:46 AM
I'm not arguing that map creators won't be able to effectively pool combat engagements through intelligent map design, I'm just saying that it would good if there were more tools available to make it even easier. Can't think of a AAA multiplayer game that releases with only 2 basic game modes, especially when previous interations included more.

usmovers_02
03-13-2018, 02:23 AM
I'm always for more options, especially in a game with a map editor. However this is Ubisoft we're talking about. Few companies are as out of touch with their fans. There are signs that they're getting better but they have a ways to go.