PDA

View Full Version : sp, co-op or mp maps in fc5

AW LOST SOLDIER
03-12-2018, 10:24 AM
What will be your focus in fc5 regarding map making? im a mp map builder at heart, but with fc5 im going to stick to sp maps for the first few months, i want to see if the lobby system is a fail or a success before i put effort into mp maps. however it turns out, i will be making maps in fc5 for the next few years, even if it's just sp maps. what about you?

DrShakez
03-12-2018, 02:07 PM
About 80% mp most likely, and some of my sp maps will likely be converted mp maps.

emrdesign
03-12-2018, 02:55 PM
I will mostly be making SP and Coop maps and maybe a few MP maps. I do hope we can set multiple missions/targets after eachother and use text on the HUD to let the players know and create a certain flow through the map. (This works really well in Dying Light map editor)

emrdesign
03-12-2018, 03:25 PM
Dying light has a map editor? I never knew that.

Yes a very good one I think. Can make great zombie maps with that too. There is only a bit of a problem with getting all the images of the objects. They did not provide all of them (or at least there was a bug in the editor that they did not fix) But some guy created a separate file for that with all the images. (I think there are about 6000 objects to choose from)

Manlius10A
03-12-2018, 06:55 PM
I love making PvP maps. I find the challenge of making balanced and interesting TDM extremely exciting. I could talk all day about map flow, choke points, visual cues, pathing,, line-of-sight, layout, etc. However, my concern is that with more restrains on my gaming time, I'll not have the time to properly test or promote a PvP map. In my new reality of being a father (I have a second due at the end of April), a husband, a homeowner, and in general, an adult, I think I will have to limit myself to SP maps to satisfy my creative needs. I'll try a PvP map, but if it sends my life balance way out of whack, I must refrain.

When FC2 was new, I was a single young adult with minimal responsibilities. I had the time. Balancing my life with the editor will be a new challenge. One I could very easily fail miserably.

emrdesign
03-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Probably all MP maps. If the lobby system works and my maps get played 1000's of times then good and I will spend alot of time in FC5, if not then obviously I won't.

I think its pretty evident from every mapper's remarks that if they spend a week making a map and then it gets played 100 times over a month then its really not worth putting the effort in. .

If you then have to promote your maps through youtube, social media etc putting even more time in, then its even more of a waste of time. The onus is on the design of the lobby system not on the mapper's social media skills to enable the mapper to get their maps played as much as possible.

I think the lobby system will be perfect for kids spending an hour or 2 making a map then playing it a few times with their friends, in which case its definitely not for me.

I preferred FC2 because the lobby system empowered map makers to customise their lobbies and invite players publicly and not just players from their own friend list.

We have less instead of more in terms of hosting and whichever way you look at that, its a backwards step for mappers and players alike.

You have some strange thoughts on map making. If your maps are not played 1000's of times it is not worth your time and you do not want to do any promotion for it yourself and if the lobby system stays as it is its not worth your time either.

I think being able to make maps either SP, Coop, or MP is already fun. That others like to play your maps as well is nice too. Be it 10 or 1000 times should not matter as long as they had fun playing it. That should give you the fun of making and playing maps and maybe even build and play more maps.

But for you (and some others) it seems that only you, only your maps and only your perfect lobby system is important to you. Maybe you should do some rethinking... or maybe not of course.

AW LOST SOLDIER
03-13-2018, 02:20 PM
The one thing i like about sp maps, once it's finished, you can just publish and send it out into the wild (in my case, pin it to my club feed for exposure) and promote it around a few places and that's it, i dont have to go through the aggro of trying to host it in a mp lobby.

truesurv1val
03-13-2018, 02:29 PM
You have some strange thoughts on map making. If your maps are not played 1000's of times it is not worth your time and you do not want to do any promotion for it yourself and if the lobby system stays as it is its not worth your time either.

I think being able to make maps either SP, Coop, or MP is already fun. That others like to play your maps as well is nice too. Be it 10 or 1000 times should not matter as long as they had fun playing it. That should give you the fun of making and playing maps and maybe even build and play more maps.

But for you (and some others) it seems that only you, only your maps and only your perfect lobby system is important to you. Maybe you should do some rethinking... or maybe not of course.

Agreed, you dont just make music only if you 1000 people will visit your concert, you dont paint a painting only when 1000 people will visit your gallery. Making maps is a creative outlet. Its the journey that counts not the destination.

Ofcourse its nice if your maps get played but If you just make maps for attention, guess there are many more effective ways to get attention.

x D78 x
03-14-2018, 01:05 AM
90% PvP, 10% SP/co-op.

Manlius10A
03-16-2018, 07:00 PM
Also TDM/DM sounds lame. No objectives at all. So just means more wall hugging door jam corner campers. Or hogging vehicles till there all broken. Planes and helicopters be fun till ya run out of ammo. Guess you could still get fancy with helicopter and squish goons running around. I use to do that on BF4 and Hardline.

Rob, your negativity is really going through the roof here. A good map should prevent the dominance of wall hugging door jam campers, especially with control of initial loadout and weapon placements. Additionally, a good map should be just as fun and balanced to play both in and out of a vehicle. If a vehicle is necessary to navigate a map, than the map is poor. As a player, I hate using vehicles and that would immediately turn me off. Finally, I prefer smaller matches (6v6) because I feel like I have more control over the play experience (as the player).

I realize that more options are always better (e.g., capture the flag, 10v10, respawning vehicles), and I am fairly confident that Ubisoft will add more options post launch, as long as Arcade is successful (maintains a high player count after the release month).

usmovers_02
03-16-2018, 08:18 PM
I don't care how many downloads I get. I care how many times and how frequently I get to play my own map.

Manlius10A
03-17-2018, 02:48 AM
I don't care how many downloads I get. I care how many times and how frequently I get to play my own map.

Exactly! That is why I will probably be leaning into SP more despite my love for PvP mapping. The lobby system doesn't seem to offer high probability of getting to play your maps, especially if you can't spend more than a few limited hours a week outside of mapping, if that. (Yes I have seen you math). A lot of us veterans have families and other responsibilities to attend to. More than the FC2 days, that is for sure.

killipso1966
03-21-2018, 02:08 PM
I never built maps for Far Cry. I did build them when the Delta Force series by Novalogic was still around. You could host your own maps on their server and anyone could find them and join them.

It was the best days of my pc gaming. You could host up to 64 players. This company had it right way before any others did.

Now if Ubisoft put this system in I will buy this game.

Not having maps hosted and easily found by other players makes zero sense.

You spend hours and days making something beautiful , creative and hopefully fun for others but can't be accessed readily ?

I am still trying to wrap my head around how it works with Far Cry 5.

From what I can figure out is your map may be included randomly ?

Or you can have it pass-worded so others can join ? So basically you have to have at least 12 friends ?

None of this makes any sense ..

They build this beautiful map editor and then lacking any form of common sense shoot it right in the foot.

Ol Barakus
03-21-2018, 02:33 PM
I am still trying to wrap my head around how it works with Far Cry 5.

From what I can figure out is your map may be included randomly ?

No mate, thats how it worked in FC3, and you pretty much had no chance of playing your map on a public server. Did anyone actually play their map(s) in public lobby?

Anyways. This new system allows 3 random players from the lobby, to choose a map (their own, or a favorited map), which then the rest of lobby votes on, to see which is played next.
Its not great, and it maybe ok..but its def better than FC3 imo :)

Uncle-Biff
03-21-2018, 02:43 PM
I will be making as many maps as possible in FC5. I love making SP/COOP maps as I have complete control over somebodies experience with health pickups etc. PVP is also great but I feel maps will require more work and thought as to how balanced it will be for players.

I have just as much fun making maps as I do playing them. If I get great ratings then that will be brilliant but as long as I like the map I'm happy. I'll probably end up making just as many SP maps as I do multiplayer maps. However as soon as the zombies and space DLC drops I might start making more SP and COOP experiences.

If we're going to have 6 additional updates or DLC do you think they will add dinosaurs, robots and blood dragons as well as Vietnam, zombies and space spiders?

o TheBadboyLive
03-22-2018, 06:45 AM
Im all about SP/ Co-Op. With all of the objects and quality of them, I plan on making a map that I have wanted to for years, but the editor, tech and objects available just wouldnt allow for it... and thats my Grandmas house growing up. Its right beside a creek with a waterfall with a bridge that spans over top of that waterfall. The creek itself went for miles and between the house itself and the land up above the waterfall... it is perfect for PvE. The house across the street from hers was huge and had a big barn up on a hill, overlooking it, with a path that led down to the creek. That entire area is just perfect for a great single player story and a PvE multiplayer map. It allows for a lot of variety, with both tight quarters and wide open spaces. As well as homes spread out around it and if I can make the map big enough... the quary right up the road. It would be an incredible map, if I can pull it off. I just hope there is enough space on the map for it. Which is now, really my only concern.

emrdesign
03-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Im all about SP/ Co-Op. With all of the objects and quality of them, I plan on making a map that I have wanted to for years, but the editor, tech and objects available just wouldnt allow for it... and thats my Grandmas house growing up. Its right beside a creek with a waterfall with a bridge that spans over top of that waterfall. The creek itself went for miles and between the house itself and the land up above the waterfall... it is perfect for PvE. The house across the street from hers was huge and had a big barn up on a hill, overlooking it, with a path that led down to the creek. That entire area is just perfect for a great single player story and a PvE multiplayer map. It allows for a lot of variety, with both tight quarters and wide open spaces. As well as homes spread out around it and if I can make the map big enough... the quary right up the road. It would be an incredible map, if I can pull it off. I just hope there is enough space on the map for it. Which is now, really my only concern.

You have 512x512 meters for your map.

o TheBadboyLive
03-22-2018, 04:20 PM
You have 512x512 meters for your map.

Yea, that I know. Though, I dont know how that translates into the real world location, as far as fitting everything in.

Edit: after some calculation, the map size is about 3.3 sq. miles, about a third of a mile to work with on each side. Which is more than enough, even at scale. Though, I still wish they would have increased it, even by 25%.

usmovers_02
03-22-2018, 04:23 PM
Yea, that I know. Though, I dont know how that translates into the real world location, as far as fitting everything in.

It means you can't fit everything you suggested in. You would have to pick a smaller chunk to build.

o TheBadboyLive
03-22-2018, 05:34 PM
It means you can't fit everything you suggested in. You would have to pick a smaller chunk to build.

Actually, I can. I think, at most, that general area is around maybe a quarter square mile. It may be half of that. From her house to the barn across the street that I mentioned, may be 200ft. 300 max. To the quary, maybe 1000 ft.

So I should be good. Google maps is definitely going to be a god send and a good way to give people a map of the game space. Im going to try to 1:1 it. We will see. I have the blueprint imprinted in my brain from childhood, as I was always there. lol.

was such an incredible place to grow up and be a kid. I would purposely keep walking to get lost, just so I could explore somewhere Id never been before. Probably many sleepless nights for my grandma and mom. lol. Is also probably one of the main reasons I had always dreamt of and now love open world games.

Manlius10A
03-22-2018, 06:29 PM
Unless my math is wrong 512 x 512 meters (262,144 square meters) converts to only 0.1 square miles, plus change. But honestly, real world dimension shouldn't be too critical as long as it feels right. I do think it is really cool that you can build some real world terrain. Good luck!

o TheBadboyLive
03-23-2018, 12:32 AM
Unless my math is wrong 512 x 512 meters (262,144 square meters) converts to only 0.1 square miles, plus change. But honestly, real world dimension shouldn't be too critical as long as it feels right. I do think it is really cool that you can build some real world terrain. Good luck!

You are correct. I was off. Though, that is actually a huge area and more than enough for my map. If anyone out there is thinking of making a real world location and dont know if it will fit... https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm?signupverifyemail=bab125ffc65321e338f1c69 3ceb1c966&username=JohnPatchell .type in the address and use your finger to designate 4 points and it will tell you the square meters, feet, acres and miles Its how I just figured out if my map will fit and my area was only .01 square miles. I can add the quary and a lot more to my map.

usmovers_02
03-23-2018, 03:27 AM
You are correct. I was off. Though, that is actually a huge area and more than enough for my map. If anyone out there is thinking of making a real world location and dont know if it will fit... https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm?signupverifyemail=bab125ffc65321e338f1c69 3ceb1c966&username=JohnPatchell .type in the address and use your finger to designate 4 points and it will tell you the square meters, feet, acres and miles Its how I just figured out if my map will fit and my area was only .01 square miles. I can add the quary and a lot more to my map.

Damn! If this is accurate then I can build the entirety of my local mall, parking lot included! Now if we get a horde mode for the zombie DLC... Can also build an entire football stadium, the nearby hotel AND baseball fields.

killipso1966
03-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Ok I get it.. So if there are say a thousand maps made you have 3 out a thousand that your map shows up ...

Hmm

killipso1966
03-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Having never used this map editor I was wondering if after your done making it can you or how do you go into the map to see it and experience it ?

Ol Barakus
03-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Ok I get it.. So if there are say a thousand maps made you have 3 out a thousand that your map shows up ...

Hmm

No mate. Maybe someone who is better at explaining things can explain it?

Anyways..i'll have another go :)

12 players in public lobby.
3 random players, get to nominate a map to play. The 3 will be randomly chosen each round.
Lets say youre one of the lucky three players who got randomly picked, and you nominate your map. So your map will appear at the top of the lobby, along side the other two lucky players nominations.
As far as i can tell, there will be two other maps as well to vote on (not sure how these are selected).
Now the other 9 players, will vote on which map to play next.
If your map gets more votes, then joy..you will play your map :)

Thats basically it.
I will say this, at the start of each round:
-You will have 25% chance to nominate your map.
-Then once you nominate youre map, you will have 20% chance of playing it.

Though id suggest, having a good picture & name for the map will make youre odds better.
Having a image of a pond, in the middle of a flat map + calling it map01, may not be appealing for players to vote for!

Then once players have played your map, and enjoyed it, you are hoping they will nominate it in future games...so it gets out to more and more people.

Manlius10A
03-23-2018, 06:45 PM
A 5% chance of playing your map is not great odds (20% of 25% is 5% unless my math is off). So, if you are lucky 1 in 20 maps will be yours. Or assuming that each round is 15 minutes, you'll play your map once every 5 hours (which is close to my total gaming time per week).....

Ol Barakus
03-24-2018, 07:32 AM
A 5% chance of playing your map is not great odds (20% of 25% is 5% unless my math is off). So, if you are lucky 1 in 20 maps will be yours. Or assuming that each round is 15 minutes, you'll play your map once every 5 hours (which is close to my total gaming time per week).....

No..if youre lucky..you'll play your map in the very first round lol
Also, of all the games ive seen..they normally last around 5-6mins per round. This is obviously down to the maps being played.

Youve got to take the voters in the lobby into equation right? What type of players are they in there? 3 of them may like big large maps, 3 may like CQB, and 3 maybe completely new..and have no-idea whats going on!

Anyways im thinking, you should get to play your map within a couple hours. Thats my guestimate. Could be twice that...

We will just have to wait and see. Id prefer the old FC2 way..but it is, what it is.

rioseven
03-24-2018, 12:49 PM
A large percentage at first won't have their own maps so if you are a map maker you will get some priority.

That said, if you MP map is spot on, people will vote it time and time again.

If its not, along with all the SP maps, they will get played for a week then disappear and you will be forced to make new maps.
Same will be true for MP maps - if its not a complete hit it will be forgotten in a week.

So I guess for mappers - you need to make something spectacular - and then if everyone thinks its rubbish, just accept it. Its not as good as a COD map.