PDA

View Full Version : Potential Guest Characters (Addendum)

Archo-Vax
03-12-2018, 07:18 AM
I know that I made a Poll about this, but it didn't really pan out. So, I'll just start a Thread about it.

In the aforementioned Poll, the question was: "If Ubisoft ever stooped so low as to incorporate characters from other franchises into For Honor as Heroes, in the same way that Netherrealm Studios brought characters like Leatherface and Jason Voorheese into Mortal Kombat X, which one would you want? Or, alternatively, which one would offend you the least?". I gave the options of: "A Predator (from Predator)", "an Elite from Halo", or "A Red Guard from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi".

I myself voted for a Predator, so I figured that I would expand upon why.

I chose each of those characters because all of them use variations of staves. Predators have the Combi-Stick, Elites have various staves (such as those seen in the Cutscene, "Monsters", in Halo Wars), and the Red Guard use Force Pikes.

My idea was that a Predator in For Honor (AKA: "Yautja"- pronounced "yowt-jah") would use a Combi-Stick as his primary weapon. A pleb might ask why we'd want another spear in the game, but a Combi-Stick doesn't function like a Naginata or typical Spear. It is used much more similarly to a medieval quarter staff. Only with stabby-stabby bits on both ends. Adult male Yautjas are, conveniently, about as strong as Polar Bears, seven feet tall, and can tank various types of cuts and blunt trauma. So a Yautja would fit in rather neatly among the Heroes already in the game. And have an excuse for being so inexplicably strong and tough.

I imagined that, in Free Roam Mode, the Yautjas' Combi-Stick would be folded up and strapped to his lower back, to then be grabbed and extended when in Combat Mode.

There are more than enough variations of Yautja armor and weaponry to facilitate different sets in-game. Some iconic weapons from the films could be used for Feats- like a Plasma Caster being in place of a Yumi Bow... except that it would be able to track targets. A Net-Gun could function like the pilum that the Centurion has. Hell, I could even imagine one Feat being something along the lines of: "gain a permanent speed and damage buff after making an Honorable Kill for the duration of the game", seeing as though Predators have a very poignant honor-based culture. One Feat could function like the Martyr thing that the Peacekeeper has, except that it's the Yautjas' Wrist-Mounted bomb exploding.

I don't think that Executions would be difficult to come up with.

And my reasons for choosing a Yautja are more than just practical, but also have to do with thematics.

Whenever I see a "Versus Video" on YouTube where they put "The Predator" up against some other 80s villain, I'm always left a bit dumbstruck at the stupidity of it. I would often say, "There is no 'The Predator', there are only PREDTAORSSSS". More than one. Each individual being unique. It's similar to proposing a match-up between "A Jedi" and "Jason Voorheese". Which Jedi do you mean? Not all of them are as competent as each other. Yes, there are certain assumptions that can be made, but there are also a lot of specifics to determine.

Though, I always end up at the conclusion that not everyone is as deep in the lore of AVP, and that not many are going to bother with identifying one particular Yautja for a match-up. So, it wouldn't totally bother me to see a mashed-up, jack-of-all-trades Pred in For Honors' cast.

The Heroes in For Honor aren't really characters, but are more-so archetypes.

Hammelsneid
03-12-2018, 03:04 PM
IF that's something, the devs are considering, I'd rather go with "guests" like Sparatcus, Leonidas, Achilles, Boagrius, Ragnar, Rollo, Floki, Lagertha, maybe some heroes influenced by GoT, no idea about samurais, I'm not the samurai guy, but I'm pretty sure there are some candidates, too. But PLS NEVER EVER break the already "meme-cracked" immersion of the FH universe with aliens or horror movie monsters.. that would be way off the road imo.

Archo-Vax
03-12-2018, 11:02 PM
IF that's something, the devs are considering, I'd rather go with "guests" like Sparatcus, Leonidas, Achilles, Boagrius, Ragnar, Rollo, Floki, Lagertha, maybe some heroes influenced by GoT, no idea about samurais, I'm not the samurai guy, but I'm pretty sure there are some candidates, too. But PLS NEVER EVER break the already "meme-cracked" immersion of the FH universe with aliens or horror movie monsters.. that would be way off the road imo.

Would it really, though? What if it were done with the utmost taste and tact?

Tundra 793
03-12-2018, 11:15 PM
Would it really, though? What if it were done with the utmost taste and tact?

Part of the reason I can't even remember the last time I fired up For Honor, is this halfway point it's at; Halfway between a gritty, serious, grounded melee combat game and halfway between a flashy humorous meme-inspired hack N' slash game.

If guest stars of any kind were to be added, the developers would need to make a decisive break from the established game lore, and I cannot begin to speculate how the community at large would react to this.

The reason why Mortal Kombat gets away with it, is 'cause they were always silly.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/10fc/f/2011/197/5/6/sektor_animality_by_iamsektor-d3vujfn.gif

ChampionRuby50g
03-12-2018, 11:21 PM
I agree we really shouldnít be seeing Aliens or any of that in FH.
Donít get me wrong, I like the idea of guest heroes, but not an Alien like predator. It would be immersion breaking for me, I picked up FH because of the medieval style combat and ancient warriors, not to see Aliens who look nothing like a human. I donít believe it would fit in with the lore either. If it wants to get added in, it needs to make sense. Yeah I get the world of FH is not in our universe, but itís in one that is very similar to our world. It is not so diverse that Apollyon can explain why a being from an entire different dimension is so interested in helping out a certain faction win.

As Hammelsneid said, there are guests that would fit into the category of knights/Vikings/samurai. I donít see where the hell an alien fits into either off those. Maybe itís cool as a concept, but it would be something that does turn me away from the game if added in and wouldnít work well in game.

RenegadeRasta
03-13-2018, 12:09 AM
If guest stars of any kind were to be added, the developers would need to make a decisive break from the established game lore, and I cannot begin to speculate how the community at large would react to this.

Assassin's Creed Origins has Final Fantasy XV content. FFXV weapons and such.

Final Fantasy XV has Assassin's Creed content. Noctis cosplays Altair.

Ezio Auditore guest stars in Soul Calibur V.

For Honor's established game lore is kind of non-existent. (Shinobi) Aliens in this game would be absolutely stupid yes. But I don't think the community would mind guest characters that would fit with this games setting.

RenegadeRasta
03-13-2018, 12:22 AM
No aliens or Jedi please. I would like for things to make just a tad bit of sense in this game. Not a whole lot, just a bit.

Liiiike.... Soul Calibur's Mitsurugi for the Samurai.

A Soul's character for the Knights.

Vikings... No clue.

Tundra 793
03-13-2018, 12:25 AM
Assassin's Creed Origins has Final Fantasy XV content. FFXV weapons and such.

Final Fantasy XV has Assassin's Creed content. Noctis cosplays Altair.

Never played any FF games, but Assassin's Creed games setting has always allowed for several non-canon appearences to be used. It's explained since at least AC II (I never played the first one, sadly), that since the majority of gameplay takes place in a VR simulation, it's possible to load in different assets, essentially. Like in the Matrix.

Ezio Auditore guest stars in Soul Calibur V.

Never played any Soul Calibur games either, but I was under the impression that guest stars were par the course for that franchise? I know I've seen Darth Vader in it.

For Honor's established game lore is kind of non-existent. (Shinobi) Aliens in this game would be absolutely stupid yes. But I don't think the community would mind guest characters that would fit with this games setting.

It's absolutely the least elaborated part of the game, but Archo and myself have both taken a deep interest in it. He dedicated weeks to cataloging it, and posting his summaries and theories here on the forum. I had the pleasure of re-capping a couple of the Warrior's Dens with the For Honor lead writer going over lore points.
While the game seldom goes into any detail about the story and lore, it's clear that there's a huge potential for it, and the former lead writer had extensive ideas about the world of For Honor, none of which would allow crossovers, or guest stars from other franchises.

But as I said; The game right now, is at a halfway point. Things like guest stars/heroes could happen, but the game would need to make a bold choice to abandon most established lore, and the setting, basically go all-in on the growing meme culture that now permeates almost every part of the game.

The community at large could certainly enjoy such a shift, but I for one, can't.

RenegadeRasta
03-13-2018, 01:54 AM
Never played any FF games, but Assassin's Creed games setting has always allowed for several non-canon appearences to be used. It's explained since at least AC II (I never played the first one, sadly), that since the majority of gameplay takes place in a VR simulation, it's possible to load in different assets, essentially. Like in the Matrix.

Never played any Soul Calibur games either, but I was under the impression that guest stars were par the course for that franchise? I know I've seen Darth Vader in it.

It's absolutely the least elaborated part of the game, but Archo and myself have both taken a deep interest in it. He dedicated weeks to cataloging it, and posting his summaries and theories here on the forum. I had the pleasure of re-capping a couple of the Warrior's Dens with the For Honor lead writer going over lore points.
While the game seldom goes into any detail about the story and lore, it's clear that there's a huge potential for it, and the former lead writer had extensive ideas about the world of For Honor, none of which would allow crossovers, or guest stars from other franchises.

But as I said; The game right now, is at a halfway point. Things like guest stars/heroes could happen, but the game would need to make a bold choice to abandon most established lore, and the setting, basically go all-in on the growing meme culture that now permeates almost every part of the game.

The community at large could certainly enjoy such a shift, but I for one, can't.

Yea guest characters are a thing in Soul Calibur. I had completely forgotten that fact that AC games take place in VR simulations so, in a way, non canon appearances actually kinda do make sense like you said.

I haven't delved in to For Honor's lore as much as you have but I know the aspect of it is cool asf. And as for Ubi having to make a bold decision to abandon such a cool concept? I don't think it would really be a bold one to make. Yknow... There's already Olympics and salt emotes and etc etc etc.

jordan-tanton
03-13-2018, 02:48 AM

If I'm honest guest characters are a horrid idea and should never happen imo, add new characters in line with the games lore and setting yeah but silly guest characters? No thanks games already full of memes lol we dont need more silly stuff.