PDA

View Full Version : tracers, turning ships and smoke for new patch-maybe?

12-19-2004, 03:02 AM
it would be really great if the ships (all) could be modelled to turn like the real ones when theyre being dive bombed or torpedoed. sinking over time and listing with on deck fires with huge plumes of black smoke ( like the real thing) would be cool instead of lightly smoking and imediately sinking in 5 minutes. wha about tracer fire modelling where the tracers wave thru the air like ww2 gun camera footage as seen in the b-17 gunners in call of duty and flight sim b17-much more realistic instead of straight fire tracers-theyve done it in other games im sure oleg is capable of doing it here with such an amazing package. also are there wave crests with waves on 3 because my waves look small but great but i cant set them on 3-they just resort on config.ini back to 1 and they dont change with the different weather conditions (ati radeon 9600 xt 256mb). also i know its probably a frame rate thing but black flak puffs hung around for ages after they exploded leaving many black clouds in the sky-ive seen footage of a carrier hit but kamikazes and for ages they just stayed there while the carriers smoke fire tunneled up really high into the sky. all this could make it even more immersive. and one morething-hmmmm those torpedoes seem to move at light speed when dropped. i await all the crits i can handle

12-19-2004, 03:02 AM
it would be really great if the ships (all) could be modelled to turn like the real ones when theyre being dive bombed or torpedoed. sinking over time and listing with on deck fires with huge plumes of black smoke ( like the real thing) would be cool instead of lightly smoking and imediately sinking in 5 minutes. wha about tracer fire modelling where the tracers wave thru the air like ww2 gun camera footage as seen in the b-17 gunners in call of duty and flight sim b17-much more realistic instead of straight fire tracers-theyve done it in other games im sure oleg is capable of doing it here with such an amazing package. also are there wave crests with waves on 3 because my waves look small but great but i cant set them on 3-they just resort on config.ini back to 1 and they dont change with the different weather conditions (ati radeon 9600 xt 256mb). also i know its probably a frame rate thing but black flak puffs hung around for ages after they exploded leaving many black clouds in the sky-ive seen footage of a carrier hit but kamikazes and for ages they just stayed there while the carriers smoke fire tunneled up really high into the sky. all this could make it even more immersive. and one morething-hmmmm those torpedoes seem to move at light speed when dropped. i await all the crits i can handle

HotelBushranger
12-19-2004, 05:57 AM
fair enough.

VVS-Manuc
12-19-2004, 06:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bwett:
it would be really great if the ships (all) could be modelled to turn like the real ones when theyre being dive bombed or torpedoed. sinking over time and listing with on deck fires with huge plumes of black smoke ( like the real thing) would be cool instead of lightly smoking and imediately sinking in 5 minutes. wha about tracer fire modelling where the tracers wave thru the air like ww2 gun camera footage as seen in the b-17 gunners in call of duty and flight sim b17-much more realistic instead of straight fire tracers-theyve done it in other games im sure oleg is capable of doing it here with such an amazing package. also are there wave crests with waves on 3 because my waves look small but great but i cant set them on 3-they just resort on config.ini back to 1 and they dont change with the different weather conditions (ati radeon 9600 xt 256mb). also i know its probably a frame rate thing but black flak puffs hung around for ages after they exploded leaving many black clouds in the sky-ive seen footage of a carrier hit but kamikazes and for ages they just stayed there while the carriers smoke fire tunneled up really high into the sky. all this could make it even more immersive. and one morething-hmmmm those torpedoes seem to move at light speed when dropped. i await all the crits i can handle <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
do you really think a tracer bullet is wobbling through the air like it is seen in guncam footage? In reality they are going straight like every other bullet, but the shaking of the plane and the guncam when firing the guns gives this effect.

Texas LongHorn
12-19-2004, 08:00 AM
Manuc is absolutely correct about the gun camara wobbling not the tracers. I had a chance to fly in a two seat P-51D about ten years ago. At some power settings the thing VIBRATED bad, it was NOT smooth. Graceful is the air yes, but plant your rear end in one and your senses are telling you a different thing &lt;ggg.&gt; The vibration level changes with engine RPM but like I said, at some power settings the whole thing vibrated like some giant mix-master making me a cocktail! And to the naysayers, yes the engine was the Rolls Merlin and not the US built Packard or Allison. All the best, LongHorn

VW-IceFire
12-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Tracers don't wiggle...cameras do. Particularly when the guns are being fired.

If you watch videos with tracers being fired...they are straight ahead. They look like sci-fi lasers.

PF_Coastie
12-19-2004, 10:29 AM
As for the smoke. They had to make some adjustments for new eye candy like water and such. Smoke is one that got a hit.

It takes a lot of processing power to show smoke, especially the thick black smoke. There are millions of tiny particals that make up the smoke and this eats fps like a hobo on a ham sandwich!

There will always be give and take.