PDA

View Full Version : Another proposal for the lobby system that theoretically they could do easily.

usmovers_02
03-10-2018, 10:10 PM
Ditch both the forced arcade option and the replay option but make it so four people select a map to be voted on. This decreases the amount of maps being voted on from 5 to 4 and decreases the average amount of matches needed to play before you choose from 4 to 3. This increases the amount of times you'll play your own maps. Thoughts?

emrdesign
03-10-2018, 11:15 PM
Ditch both the forced arcade option and the replay option but make it so four people select a map to be voted on. This decreases the amount of maps being voted on from 5 to 4 and decreases the average amount of matches needed to play before you choose from 4 to 3. This increases the amount of times you'll play your own maps. Thoughts?

You wanna know what is the best option to be able to play your map often?

Create a great looking map that people will love to play. All your math calculations are worthless because you only calculated the times YOU would vote for your map. But did not count or consider to calculate the people who might also like your map when it is good and might vote to play it. Not everybody is as selfish like you to only vote for their own map to play when they are allowed to vote.

usmovers_02
03-11-2018, 02:27 AM
Lol SO many things you failed to take into account there. For one in the FC2 days I played other peoples maps as much as my own and intend to do so again. Playing my map 1 in 12 times is not good enough. Another thing is that people can't vote for my map if it hasn't been selected and people can't select it if they haven't downloaded it.

A_Combi_Stick
03-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Which is why I made the suggestion that the first maps that pop up for people to vote on, are the maps authored by the players in the lobby. I honestly think this would be a good way to solve a lot of complaints.

AW LOST SOLDIER
03-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Im just going to make SP maps for the first few months until i can see if the lobby system works or not. if it works ok i will start to build mp maps again, if it doesn't work i will stick to sp maps, either way i will be building maps in fc5 for the next 3 years or so.

Negrumir
03-12-2018, 04:35 PM
You know what's theoretically easy?
FC2's server list.

And no, I'm not being funny.
Think about it.

The server list shows what? Host ID, player count, map, mode, match in progress, and ping. Then all it does is display those variables in a list and let you select which one you want. These are all variables that are already called in the "Auto playlist" design.

The auto playlist design is way more complicated. Because on top of all the above items, it has to calculate which match is "best," deal with host merging, lobby merging, and then you add in map nominations and votes, and whatever else goes along with it.

Theoretically (since I didn't program the game myself) an FC2 style server list is already in the game, it's just invisible and handled by back end algorithms.

They just need host options for the lobbies themselves, which again are already variables in the game that just need inputs for user customization.

Two decent programmers and a pot of coffee could have it more or less done in a day or so.

Negrumir
03-12-2018, 04:50 PM
And I guess I should add that I'm not saying they need to get rid of their current system. For what they want, it'll work about as decently as any other random lobby system. But it'll only be acceptable to the casual set that really don't know or care whose map is whose.

For the rest of us--that'd the entire target audience of the map editor feature--a server list/selection is essential to the function of the game.

We should have both.