PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Lobby Solution.

legacyzero
03-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Hey there-

Firstly, I want to congratulate Ubi on the Map Editor reveal. I’m MEGA excited for it. And for somebody who criticized the launch of FC4 HEAVILY (if you were there, you know. I wasn’t very kind.) this time, they turned it all around.

But I’ve seen some criticism from a handful of regular members here regarding multiplayer lobbies and map sharing. And I too share some concern. I think back to Far Cry 3’s lobby system, and I have to be candid here: it ruined the game for me. I could even get over not having vehicles. But server hosting and map sharing mortally injured the Map Editor. I spent a full week making one great map, only for it to be at the mercy of the playlists. It only ever saw like 42 downloads.

Fast forwards to FC5, and the lobbies sounds worlds better than FC3, and I think we all have to agree there. It sounds good. But not great.

Here’s some thoughts I have:

1) Leave the match-making lobbies like they are. Maybe with some tweaks. I do like the thought of having the chance to democratically introducing my maps.

2) the big fix- custom games. Right now, you’re able to start a custom lobby, invite your friends, etc, via password. I think this is where the main opportunity exists. To easily fix this, look no further than Halo 5. More below:

3) player made maps in Halo 5’s “Forge” Map Editor are not out front and center in the game’s matchmaking, unless 343 makes it a point to highlight popular maps during certain events. FC5 arguable does it better than Halo 5 in this regard (assumptively). However, what Halo 5 does great, is a custom server browser. Players who are hosting matches with their friends and user-made maps: have the option of showing their match as joinable by other players, or by password lock. The host has full control.

4) if you’re looking to take a break from match-making: you can dive in to the custom games server browser to check out user-generated maps/modes.

So I figured Ubi could consider this, if they’re still open to feedback. An easy best-of-both-worlds compromise that could ensure a healthy Multiplayer / Editor ecosystem.

Thoughts?

impressionman76
03-10-2018, 09:20 PM
I for one completely agree with your proposal! Sounds like the perfect compromise to me. I will have my fingers crossed that it makes it in at some point. Well said.

usmovers_02
03-10-2018, 10:06 PM
I think your idea is spectacular! (well deserved negativity removed)

AlexoEx0
03-17-2018, 02:17 AM
Sounds like a good work around to not change the system too heavily but actually allow hosted lobbies to be searchable.

Althought I would honestly rather all lobbies be searchable so that I can find the server with the: best ping, highest player count, maybe a thumbnail of a map that looks cool etc.

Ol Barakus
03-17-2018, 10:31 AM
thumbed up!

player3069
03-18-2018, 10:10 PM
However, what Halo 5 does great, is a custom server browser. Players who are hosting matches with their friends and user-made maps: have the option of showing their match as joinable by other players, or by password lock. The host has full control.

Is that not the exact same thing Far Cry 2 had ? except the Password option ..... Lets just be honest here. Does not matter what lobby system they use , without something to keep the rooms full at all times This Multiplayer will not survive . We can dance With Ubisoft all day long , but until they begin to listen to The Gamer not just the Map Making Community . The unbalance is overbearing. it will weigh heavy , and break it . Just Like FC3

rioseven
03-26-2018, 02:15 PM
Perhaps someone has outlined that on Halo having public lists of hosts is a better way of having lobbies.

Maybe other people feel the same?

rioseven
03-26-2018, 02:29 PM
How did people make a playlist? When it got to the end was that the end of the lobby?

rioseven
03-26-2018, 02:52 PM
So you could all keep playing the playlist forever?

Thats really cool.