PDA

View Full Version : Not All Bugs are Bad...

No601_Zulu
01-25-2005, 04:37 AM
Note€¦ I would have posted this in €œMission Builders Forum€ but I€m not sure the people at IC Maddox that I want to read this will see it or read it there€¦.

As a Mission Builder and a great fan of Co-op mission there was one feature, or should I say bug that was around in FB AEP that disappeared sadly when PF arrived.

That Feature/Bug was the ability to set groups of a/c on an airfield at a dispersal points instead of being all lined up neatly at the end of the runway ready for take-off.

So, if you are a fan of quick start or air start missions or just fly n fight this post is not for you. However, if you like your missions have a good level of realism, give the feeling that you are a real pilot (at least as real as you can get desktop flying) awaiting orders to taxi to the runway and take off, then read on.

The technique in FMB was to place a single a/c as normal on the runway, select waypoint as €œTake off€ then drag the icon to the desired point on the airfield, for example, just in front of a camouflaged net on the dispersal area of the airbase. Then re-set waypoint to €Fly Normal€ height 0 speed 0 then place a further way point a small distance ahead say 30metres RL distance and again set the waypoint to €œFly Normal€ speed 0 height 0. You then have an a/c parked engine running facing in the right direction. You then repeat the process for all the player flyable a/c you wish to start this way. When the game was launched you had to close throttle and apply the brakes quickly to stop the a/c moving. If you flew off the same base in the same type of a/c as in say, career missions, you could save this as a basic mission template map to be used again and again.

A lengthy process to set-up yes, but the end result in game is well worth the extra effort. As you can watch you€re your squadron mates taxing out from dispersal along the taxiway to the runway then take-off in pairs or flights of 4. Its about the most realistic start to a mission you will ever get in this game in a coop mission.

It is still possible to create dispersal starts in PF but only with aircraft that have a fixed under carriage, the J8 (Gladiator) but when you join the aircraft it drops from some height and bounces a few times. Any aircraft that has retractable gear suffers colossal damage and sometimes blows up immediately when the aircraft spawns.

Yes, it still works if you want to set an a/c 2 miles or 2 kms from an airbase, but it is nowhere near the same experience.

So my question is€¦Can we have this very friendly and useful bug back please at some time in the future.

Not all bugs are bad€¦.

No601_Zulu
01-25-2005, 04:37 AM
Note€¦ I would have posted this in €œMission Builders Forum€ but I€m not sure the people at IC Maddox that I want to read this will see it or read it there€¦.

As a Mission Builder and a great fan of Co-op mission there was one feature, or should I say bug that was around in FB AEP that disappeared sadly when PF arrived.

That Feature/Bug was the ability to set groups of a/c on an airfield at a dispersal points instead of being all lined up neatly at the end of the runway ready for take-off.

So, if you are a fan of quick start or air start missions or just fly n fight this post is not for you. However, if you like your missions have a good level of realism, give the feeling that you are a real pilot (at least as real as you can get desktop flying) awaiting orders to taxi to the runway and take off, then read on.

The technique in FMB was to place a single a/c as normal on the runway, select waypoint as €œTake off€ then drag the icon to the desired point on the airfield, for example, just in front of a camouflaged net on the dispersal area of the airbase. Then re-set waypoint to €Fly Normal€ height 0 speed 0 then place a further way point a small distance ahead say 30metres RL distance and again set the waypoint to €œFly Normal€ speed 0 height 0. You then have an a/c parked engine running facing in the right direction. You then repeat the process for all the player flyable a/c you wish to start this way. When the game was launched you had to close throttle and apply the brakes quickly to stop the a/c moving. If you flew off the same base in the same type of a/c as in say, career missions, you could save this as a basic mission template map to be used again and again.

A lengthy process to set-up yes, but the end result in game is well worth the extra effort. As you can watch you€re your squadron mates taxing out from dispersal along the taxiway to the runway then take-off in pairs or flights of 4. Its about the most realistic start to a mission you will ever get in this game in a coop mission.

It is still possible to create dispersal starts in PF but only with aircraft that have a fixed under carriage, the J8 (Gladiator) but when you join the aircraft it drops from some height and bounces a few times. Any aircraft that has retractable gear suffers colossal damage and sometimes blows up immediately when the aircraft spawns.

Yes, it still works if you want to set an a/c 2 miles or 2 kms from an airbase, but it is nowhere near the same experience.

So my question is€¦Can we have this very friendly and useful bug back please at some time in the future.

Not all bugs are bad€¦.

zaelu
01-25-2005, 07:25 AM
I think the bug changed because of carrier take-offs needings. It seems that they had to put the aircraft at some distance of the ground/deck because of the swinging carriers. The colision you are describing it seems would be catastrofic on carriers if the A/C would be placed on deck at beginning of the mission. I have noticed when you crush at landing on carriers the aircraft is jinking (bouncing) and sufering continous damage when doing this till either explode or reach a echilibrium. I think it was a compromise. But this is just a humble impression.