PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft; please a few small requests for future AC games

thebutcherhead
03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I guess this is just a list of a few minor flaws I've noticed in the AC games that could be turned around by a few really slight changes in future games, it's kind of long but here goes:

1) Thieves/npc crowd

The thieves would seem a lot more realistic if they didn't share the same character model and looked soo distinct from the normal npc's.

The fact that the thieves, mercenaries, (not courtesans) have character models separate from the regular npc's makes them stand out unrealistically from the crowd. Why can't some of the regular people be 7 foot tall like the mercanaries? I played through AC 1 and couldn't help but notice that this very thing made AC 1's less diverse crowd seem more realistic than the newer games. With the thieves, why can't a regular npc steal from you? Or a female thief?

Also, if there's any way to get rid of the change in color when you hide in a group of people to escape the line of sight. I know it's part of the games basic mechanics, and it's "easy" for players to understand, but it just really gets in the way of the game's realism. Maybe if the colors were only dulled a little as opposed to just straight up changing to black and white? I mean, there has to be a way around that doesn't stand out so much visually.

2) parkour- Assassins only?

Also, I just have to say this, it's always seemed wierd how almost every npc seems to be capable of pulling off ezio's super parkour moves. I mean anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the supernatural abilities of climbing and jumping intense distances supposed to be exclusive to the assassins and not common theieves and guard patrols alike?

One thing in brotherhood I thought was really cool and might correct this was with the templar agents. Some of them would shut a door/gate to escape from you and to find them you would have to climb the walls at a fast enough pace to get to them. If the same or something similar was done to the thieves, it would keep the challange of the player's ability to use the parkour well while also making it seem more realistic. Like if the thief was instead running through the streets below you, shutting doors and blocking pathways or putting obstacles in your path while you, the assassin, are trying to keep up and find the right approach to corner the thief into a dead end from the rooftops. Idk, it just never made sense how all the thieves were able to do the parkour better than the main character sometimes.

3)Graphics

Pleasse bring back the style of lighting from AC 2. Some people didn't get the style of the graphics, I myself at first (I needed to have a friend explain the graphics for me), but the lighting really brought the character models out way better than in AC 1 or brotherhood once you understood it.

Also, for anyone who thought AC 2 looked cartoonish, this was NOT the case. If you didn't understand it at first, yes it would make the character models look cartoonish, especially in the cutscenes. They just made the lighting more reflective so that at different angles it would change. The goal of the new lighting, as I understand it, was to intensify the effects of the sunlight and to make the shaded parts become darker when viewed from the "sunlit side" of the models to complement this effect. Trust me, it looked really cool and enhanced the photorealistic esque feel of the game more so than in AC 1. Brotherhood would have looked a LOT better if ubi had chosen to keep it from AC 2. I actually think the character models were designed for AC 2's style of lighting and then they just decided to remove it sometime after the e3 demo last year after people complained about it.

Anyways, I guess that's all. There simple changes, but I think they would really go a long way to improve the game. Crossing my fingers hoping this won't go unheard?

thebutcherhead
03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I guess this is just a list of a few minor flaws I've noticed in the AC games that could be turned around by a few really slight changes in future games, it's kind of long but here goes:

1) Thieves/npc crowd

The thieves would seem a lot more realistic if they didn't share the same character model and looked soo distinct from the normal npc's.

The fact that the thieves, mercenaries, (not courtesans) have character models separate from the regular npc's makes them stand out unrealistically from the crowd. Why can't some of the regular people be 7 foot tall like the mercanaries? I played through AC 1 and couldn't help but notice that this very thing made AC 1's less diverse crowd seem more realistic than the newer games. With the thieves, why can't a regular npc steal from you? Or a female thief?

Also, if there's any way to get rid of the change in color when you hide in a group of people to escape the line of sight. I know it's part of the games basic mechanics, and it's "easy" for players to understand, but it just really gets in the way of the game's realism. Maybe if the colors were only dulled a little as opposed to just straight up changing to black and white? I mean, there has to be a way around that doesn't stand out so much visually.

2) parkour- Assassins only?

Also, I just have to say this, it's always seemed wierd how almost every npc seems to be capable of pulling off ezio's super parkour moves. I mean anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the supernatural abilities of climbing and jumping intense distances supposed to be exclusive to the assassins and not common theieves and guard patrols alike?

One thing in brotherhood I thought was really cool and might correct this was with the templar agents. Some of them would shut a door/gate to escape from you and to find them you would have to climb the walls at a fast enough pace to get to them. If the same or something similar was done to the thieves, it would keep the challange of the player's ability to use the parkour well while also making it seem more realistic. Like if the thief was instead running through the streets below you, shutting doors and blocking pathways or putting obstacles in your path while you, the assassin, are trying to keep up and find the right approach to corner the thief into a dead end from the rooftops. Idk, it just never made sense how all the thieves were able to do the parkour better than the main character sometimes.

3)Graphics

Pleasse bring back the style of lighting from AC 2. Some people didn't get the style of the graphics, I myself at first (I needed to have a friend explain the graphics for me), but the lighting really brought the character models out way better than in AC 1 or brotherhood once you understood it.

Also, for anyone who thought AC 2 looked cartoonish, this was NOT the case. If you didn't understand it at first, yes it would make the character models look cartoonish, especially in the cutscenes. They just made the lighting more reflective so that at different angles it would change. The goal of the new lighting, as I understand it, was to intensify the effects of the sunlight and to make the shaded parts become darker when viewed from the "sunlit side" of the models to complement this effect. Trust me, it looked really cool and enhanced the photorealistic esque feel of the game more so than in AC 1. Brotherhood would have looked a LOT better if ubi had chosen to keep it from AC 2. I actually think the character models were designed for AC 2's style of lighting and then they just decided to remove it sometime after the e3 demo last year after people complained about it.

Anyways, I guess that's all. There simple changes, but I think they would really go a long way to improve the game. Crossing my fingers hoping this won't go unheard?

reaversimpson
04-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I have to agree with the 1 and 2 things u said but the graphics are getting better not worser. also i think you should be able to design ur hideout the way you like it.

matteume
04-03-2011, 07:47 AM
I have also given the parkour moves alot of thought. I think itīs weird that almost every guard in the game can pull off the same moves that ezio can do..
But who knows, maybe most people in 15th century was a parkour badass. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

TorQue1988
04-03-2011, 07:55 AM
I agree with point 1 and partially with part 2.
Yes guards and civilians shouldn't have those moves ,but thieves should(not as good as the assassins though) because they are basically working for the assassins ,and for a thief to be successful they should be agile enough to get away;and maybe the agile guards would be trained to know parkour so that they can catch thieves and assassins.
But about the graphics by all means AC2 did not have better graphics than ACB...every aspect of ACB's graphics has been improved upon ,and it has the best looking character models ,the details like facial hair and skin shades are much better;the textures are the most detailed;not to mention the shadows,AC2 had weird flickering shadows,unlike ACB in which the shadows are smooth ;and the lightning effects (with the sunlight through clouds )is much much better and more realistic than in AC2....sorry but ACB is the best looking AC game to date....the things that always bothered be about the character models in all of the games is the fact that the hair is not detailed enough and it does not move ,same thing with the cape which is to stiff;other problems would be the draw distance that cause the stupid pop-ups ,and surely some higher improvement upon the textures wouldn't hurt.

Johno_efc
04-03-2011, 09:13 AM
It'd be pretty boring if in a chase the guards could do sweet f all if you jumped from one roof to another.

Makes it more of a challange

Ureh
04-03-2011, 11:35 AM
In regards to the graphics, I'd have to say there were improvements in some areas. But they also took a few steps back in others. The first thing I have to point out is the cape: imo, it's worse than the one in AC2. Sure, it sways left and right when you run, but it had this "polygonal" feeling to it. Another thing that really bothered me was that some of the plants/trees didn't look nearly as good as the ones in AC2. Lastly, the capes that you use during the Cristina memories...horrible. The hood was also missing the inner red lining.

GunnarGunderson
04-03-2011, 01:53 PM
My only problem with the parkour (aside from what you already said) is that you can jump off of the tallest tower in the game and save yourself by grabbing the side of a building at street level.

I'd love too see your character ragdoll if you fall for too long (and more fall damage) it would make you think about where you're jumping