PDA

View Full Version : a couple of newbie mapping questions

Browndog63
03-09-2018, 08:41 AM
Hey Mappers,

Total Far Cry newb here, I used to love mapping back in the day, I happened to stumble across a trailer for Far Cry 5 on you tube and thought man that is one impressive game. I've never seen any of the other Far Cry titles either, last game I played was Fallout 4. Then I saw a clip about the map editor and thought YES I'm getting this sucker if only to make maps. From what I gather you can only make maps for the platform you are on, is this correct? and my other question is what is the best platform for using the map editor? I'm guessing you have much better control and options with PC. So is there a good PC crowd playing the fan made maps or is it mainly console players? I also have an xbox one I could go with.

thanks

Browndog

AW LOST SOLDIER
03-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Hi :) At the moment no crossplay maps, but who knows maybe cross platform may come later. console has the largest crowd of map builders and players, about 85% console 15% pc. if you are on xbox you are welcome to join my xbox club :) FAR CRY 5 MAP BUILDERS CLUB 1500+ members. just message me on xbox AW LOST SOLDIER and i will send you an invite.

Fallen-Champ
03-09-2018, 09:35 AM
There are two FaceBook groups that are both set to private, the good thing about that is you can discuss things and they don't show on your personal wall so you can talk as much Far Cry as you want and the conversation stays with that group and friends / family don't see.

Both groups have PC and Console map builders, the bottom one has more PC - I would say it's worth looking at both there has been no drama everyone is respectful of one another and there to help and share ideas, if you use facebook you can't go wrong with either group there are people who are in both.
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26238996_2132241263672180_6876574931238886775_n.jp g?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEp5Hzar7bAJcFHP6A0iZmjQuxYHJ1t78 7ppEaSp7UCafKZpN3ydnFgqPG4DaLM0bM55eLfYUVVfiqmcVzq IwwnbJvR_QRwie-VhsOInrZ2KQ&oh=741cfc9eb6747f45156bd4994170e6e6&oe=5B4619BF (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Far.Cry.Maps/)

Just click the image any you will be taken to the group, they are both private so an admin will add people who request they want in.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21199378_10213521782215974_3769767014838617365_o.j pg?_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeGkkKfXkY-4U1uL6UcBmeuQy8zsQ0GYhN4tbjWvWcDTkF6v6NklXPLBwGGcm ioQZhPh7JBvDX5LT6Be-16_vNjKqjj1XYfLMRH98dI86WpmsA&oh=bee1cecadb0e752e39c6b5f79768222d&oe=5B42271A (https://www.facebook.com/groups/FarCryMapEditors/)

Browndog63
03-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Thanks Guys, I'll definitely look into the links you have provided, sounds like there is a good base of mappers to connect with.

akilyoung
03-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Hey buddy, yes, you make maps for the platform you are on. Wait for more news about that though... ;)

As for what plat is the best, IMO PC is MUCH better. for a lot of reasons. One, you get double the budget for SP maps than console. The graphics are better. The UI is WAY easier, and might have more options, not sure. Historically it had snap functions, when the console versions didnt.

It does have snap still, which is very handy for custom stuff.

PC has a search bar, so finding assets is a breeze, especially with around 10k assets.

But is boils down to preference.

And yes, PC has a LOT of people, and the list is ever growing.

A_Combi_Stick
03-09-2018, 05:34 PM
You going to be on PC as well Kyle? I know myself and Seamount will be on PC, maybe those of us that'll be on PC can form a Steam Group or something?

AW LOST SOLDIER
03-09-2018, 06:02 PM
I have a PC gaming machine now but will primarily be on PS4. I'm just used to PS4 and find the PC cumbersome. I also hit it every time it asks me if I am sure about what I have just selected so it might not last very long.

If there is a PC map competition I might enter it and show you girls how to make maps ^^ :P

Don't worry AW, I don't have xbox yet.

Sab get yourself an xbox and join my club.

usmovers_02
03-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Hey buddy, yes, you make maps for the platform you are on. Wait for more news about that though... ;)

As for what plat is the best, IMO PC is MUCH better. for a lot of reasons. One, you get double the budget for SP maps than console. The graphics are better. The UI is WAY easier, and might have more options, not sure. Historically it had snap functions, when the console versions didnt.

It does have snap still, which is very handy for custom stuff.

PC has a search bar, so finding assets is a breeze, especially with around 10k assets.

But is boils down to preference.

And yes, PC has a LOT of people, and the list is ever growing.

The console version has always had snap back to FCIP I believe. FC2 at the latest.

AW LOST SOLDIER
03-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Dont let anyone tell you consoles are too limiting, evidence below says otherwise.

My new deluxe version of my mech i created in far cry 4 xbox one, and yes i could fit this into a full map if i chose to.
https://krqahg.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4mS8fwzOgmu4Jhsm88mlQ4BNyJc8P9r5PR82v75kuMjmk30cX 3k3Ag69tfi09WjDc5PuNo7b4tMF9rQi-3Ktw0NsFRLC5l-YNNZj9R74Ogcs5wXtfIVTVCHdNBb98YP0Ck13u0oKW6MHvhf5q gEfdlsnSnMC0IaDUrFSR9wqF9ILiuunhw2cR_8FmoazXntwEYZ UVgkrbWPvWSU_NqPMtsxQ?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none

Browndog63
03-10-2018, 12:24 AM
So AW, you can make your own models for FC? or have you put your mech together using the meshes (I don't know what you call them here) supplied by the game?

Browndog63
03-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Hey Akilyoung, yes, this is what I was assuming that the PC would be the best for mapping, the least advantage being able to use a mouse. Any recommendations on tutorials or documentation on how to use the editor?

cheers
Browndog

Fallen-Champ
03-10-2018, 01:07 AM
Hey Akilyoung, yes, this is what I was assuming that the PC would be the best for mapping, the least advantage being able to use a mouse. Any recommendations on tutorials or documentation on how to use the editor?
With Far Cry 4 I found editing terrain easier on console, felt I had much more control and it wasn't as aggressive as on the PC even when speed was turned down.
The PC as said has the SNAP feature (Unsure if Console has it I don't think it does but will find out on release day)
PC has search so that is a major help and it has a new feature called HISTORY (I think that's the name) this remembers everything you did while in that session so if you removed something and you want it back where it was you scroll through all the changes and find it - click on it and it appears back where it was before.

But when you exit the editor it ends so History starts when you open the editor and is for the duration of that session while editing.
Lots of people will be doing tutorials at various places / websites / youtube / written etc so hopefully people will post them at the various places where they will be seen.

Browndog63
03-10-2018, 04:54 AM
Have to say it seems you are a friendly bunch compared to the last forum I was a member of. Checked out a vid of one of the devs I think, giving a demo how to use the map editor in PS4, I'm definitely going the PC for ease of use. Bring on March 27!

AW LOST SOLDIER
03-10-2018, 09:00 AM
So AW, you can make your own models for FC? or have you put your mech together using the meshes (I don't know what you call them here) supplied by the game?
I made the mech with regular objects, like tool boxes and stuff. it's like building stuff from a pile of junk :) fc5 seems to have more options in regards to building custom opjects. but at the end of the day, your imagination is the ultimate tool when it comes to map making, not the platform.

Browndog63
03-10-2018, 09:01 AM
A question for the PC guys. I was just looking at the system requirements for FC5 and according to [URL="https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/far-cry-5/15464"] I just scrape in with a Intel Core i5-2400 Can anyone comment if I am going chug with this CPU or should it be OK? I've got a GTX750 for the graphics.

cheers
Browndog

AW LOST SOLDIER
03-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Have to say it seems you are a friendly bunch compared to the last forum I was a member of. Checked out a vid of one of the devs I think, giving a demo how to use the map editor in PS4, I'm definitely going the PC for ease of use. Bring on March 27!

A welcoming community is a successful community :) guys like you are the future of the far cry mapping community.

Browndog63
03-10-2018, 10:19 AM
I made the mech with regular objects, like tool boxes and stuff. it's like building stuff from a pile of junk :) fc5 seems to have more options in regards to building custom opjects. but at the end of the day, your imagination is the ultimate tool when it comes to map making, not the platform.

I saw that in another post you made showing the junk beside the mech, that my friend is some pretty creative thinking there.

BattlePHILd
03-10-2018, 05:15 PM
PC has search so that is a major help

No search on console? Why not? Can you ask them to add it? It would be a HUGE help!

Fallen-Champ
03-10-2018, 05:25 PM
No search on console? Why not? Can you ask them to add it? It would be a HUGE help!
There could be ways that we can get around this on consoles, I started listing every item so if we get a complete list then you could put them onto your own device (Tablet / Phone / PC - Maybe in a word doc or some other software that uses a search) that should show up where items are found - we can only try and see how it works.