PDA

View Full Version : We Need to Talk About the Lack of Game Modes

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
03-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Far Cry: Arcade looks incredible, and the development team deserves huge kudos for developing an editor that will allow the community to create some of the most unique and original content the franchise has ever known. The problem however, is that any map, no matter how original or unique it is, will eventually become boring when there are no variable modes to play on it besides basic (team) death match. Single Player and Co-Op have a bit more variety in this department (though I'd still like to see more game mode options added) but the PvP portion of the game seems to be seriously lacking.

While team death match is great, it will quickly become stale after being played over and over, suffocating the capability to create unique mini-games, and shortening the longevity and replayability an original map may have.

I personally would like to see the additions of Conquest, Capture the Flag, Race, and some form of Attacker vs Defender mode, whether that be 1-Flag CTF (as seen in the Halo franchise) or some form of progressive territory mode (see 'Invasion' in the Halo franchise). The necessity for game modes is vital to provide multiple unique experiences for Mappers to build around in order to sustain replayability and to help keep things 'fresh'. Plus, more options NEVER hurt.

I'm hoping to see more game modes added with the 6 upcoming content updates, as I believe the lack of which will ultimately hurt the custom map community. Other then that, I have been blown away by the support the community has received thus far, and raise a glass to you, the Far cry devs:)

truesurv1val
03-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Bit strange choice just to add DM and TDM in pvp. Thats the new strategy these days to add stuff post launch. I guess we will get more modes in these 6 planned updates.

Farcryisdead
03-07-2018, 10:26 AM
In far cry games TDM takes up about 80% of play time, im ok with the modes, they may add more later :)

CAFFEIN8TED
03-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Looking at the reveal content it’s apparent that they are really pouring a lot more into the editor this time around. I’m sure many of the features they’ve listed in their official posts required lots of dev time and probably had to draw the line in the sand somewhere. That said what I’ve seen show up yesterday looks quiet amazing and the fact that Ubisoft looks like they are allowing time spent in community maps earn you rewards/perks that follow back to main game is huge + those 6 future content drops that you mentioned in the OP. My gut feel is we’re in for a true treat and if they time the content drops right it should feel fresh, unique and creative for a long time (besides one of the videos said 9000+ assets). Also it appears that they are planning more post launch acitivities so maybe future game modes may not be too far of a stretch, only time will tell.

legacyzero
03-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Historically, people didnít really play the other modes much. Itís unfortunate but true

emrdesign
03-07-2018, 02:46 PM
I agree. They said that more content and activities would follow post launch, so I am sure they will also look into more game modes as well. But for now we can not complain for what they will already give us on the 27th. We can build nice maps with that and probably be busy with that and playing other peoples maps and of course the main FC5 game in the meantime. That will give them time to work on some new stuff we can enjoy after that. Now its up to us to make great maps and show them how much we appreciate their hard work.

Steve64b
03-07-2018, 03:10 PM
I would rather have some very generic cause-and-effect triggers that combined with the available gamemodes would make for something more interesting. Kinda like scripting, but easier.

For example, let's say we can have an object spawn in as soon as another object disappears/dies, totally separate from the Wave system. This one single principle could allow for:
Racing maps; when one objective marker is reached, it would destroy itself, and the next one will appear. Repeat this for however many checkpoints you want, and finally spawn the Extraction Point zone for the finish
Capture The Flag: have an object in the map that disappears as soon as it receives fire damage. Have players take No Fire Damage with a mutator, and have a fire damage emitting zone right behind 2 goals. Spawn a new flag each time the old one is destroyed.
Objective-based storytelling: guide players through a map, requiring them to visit certain points in sequence.
Unlocking alternative routes in a map (spawning in a ladder, grapple ledge or even a rigged explosive blowing up a door).

Of course these implementations would be very crude (and disregard keeping actual scores where needed), but it'd be pretty powerful in the hands of creative editors I think.

Seamount4Life
03-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Obviously, the lack of modes is the one blemish. Would be great to get CTF, Domination, Assault, etc. But At this point, I would just love a way to adjust spawn counts. DM / TDM can morph into a number of other modes if you give us the ability to limit the number of spawns each player/team has.

Manlius10A
03-07-2018, 04:54 PM
I think other modes would be great, but I have always been satisfied with DM and TDM. Ubisoft probably wants to wait and see if this whole Arcade mode is successful at maintaining a strong player base before further diluting the options with more game modes (and of course investing more resources in it). So our best hope for new game modes is to hope that the existing ones are exceedingly popular.

OnlyBroward
03-07-2018, 04:58 PM
If there really is only a few PVP gamemodes, my guess is its to keep the lobbies filled for as long as possible. For example, many years down the road if/when there isn't nearly as many people playing the game it'll be alot easier to fill up lobbies where there are only a few pvp gamemodes compared to having 10 different gamemodes. Just my 2 cents...

BattlePHILd
03-07-2018, 05:09 PM
I know it wasn't very popular, but I love the Firestorm mode from FC3. I think this new way of incorporating the editor could seriously increase the player base, making it easier to accommodate different game types, and they can always add more over time. Really hope that happens.

BattlePHILd
03-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Is there a option to have death match where everyone spawns in with no weapons? Then you have to run around and find anything to kill others with like Hunger games or PUBG/Fortnite style? I suppose it will get lame once a player finds the best stuff though. Be cool if ya die ya lose all weapons then new weapons spawns in a different spots. I think a 12 player battle royale could work if the map is done right. First to get 50 kills wins? It be respawn. So its not like a 1 life round then find another game.

I asked a similar questions and the response was:
"Loadouts are 100% customizable, from name, to ammo and mag amount, etc..!"

So I'm guessing the answer to your question is yes! This is going to be freaking great!

I was hoping to make matches with single clips. Have to kill and loot bodies for more ammo. Seems like that will work!

BattlePHILd
03-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Curious on the spawning system for death match then. It be lame if only 12 spawn spots. Then people camp them spawns for easy kills. Especially if its a battle royale where ya spawn with no weapons other then bare fists. Curious if there's random spawning as well? I can see death match being more popular then regular TDM. Cause can be any number of players for DM and still be able to have decent amount of fun since its everybody versus everybody. More kills. Not like team death match ya fight over kills going full RAMBO or have to worry about equal teams. Curious if you can have death match but also plop down like 64 ai bots as well as extras? Probably not.

Not sure about AI, but you can add animals! :)

x D78 x
03-07-2018, 06:41 PM
legacyzero -"Historically, people didn’t really play the other modes much. It’s unfortunate but true"

Not totally true at least on the original [x]or [x]360. Most played Steal the Sample aka CTF and their was a decent sized community on it for 3-4 years. I never really remember playing DM or TDM all that much. This may be different for the newer FC games but IDK I stopped playing PvP with FC2, and didn't like the asymmetrical magic vs guns in FC4 when I tried it. Asymmetrical is fine if someone wants to build a map for it but not havinga gun vs gun option was terrible imho.

usmovers_02
03-07-2018, 07:09 PM
TDM is literally all I play lol.

Brimtown
03-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Has it been confirmed that there is only DM and TDM in multiplayer? The article I read indicated game modes "including DM and TDM" - which would indicate to me that there are going to be other modes that haven't been announced

DrShakez
03-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Has it been confirmed that there is only DM and TDM in multiplayer? The article I read indicated game modes "including DM and TDM" - which would indicate to me that there are going to be other modes that haven't been announced

Yeah, it's dev confirmed that those are the only modes.

My guess is they will add one new mode with each DLC.
Vietnam: Save the Hostages
Mars: Assault?
Zombies: Horde Survival

Viragoxv535
03-08-2018, 05:54 AM
the best constructed maps in terms of design, layout and playability should in theory rise to the top.

Yeah, you will be presented with this screen (https://youtu.be/0Win4pajoHQ?t=12m38s) after each play so you're enticed into giving a vote.

Sknipester
03-08-2018, 06:15 AM
I'm surprised I haven't seen more posts like this:

I'd like a "destination" game--mode or playlist where the objective is to get to the end of a map. The objective would be to complete all obstacles/puzzles of a certain map that would basically enable you to "beat" it, and the destination would basically be the end of the map. This should be a 12 person playlist, and their definitely has to be an option to set the time to infinity, or no limit. I guess the only way to skip the map would be to vote during the game (majority of players).

This would incorporate all ESCAPE maps into a certain playlist that are fairly popular especially in the Fc2 days where I most got into it. I would play and make escape maps days on end. Just saying, there is this whole other community of people who enjoy making escape maps and quite frankly I'm surprised I don't see more posts on this or maybe I'm just missing it.

I hope their is an option for these types of maps. If not during release, I hope their is an update because that's the main reason I'd buy the game.

Sknipester
03-08-2018, 06:49 AM
Escape maps can be done in "Journey Mode" as far as I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjXp4JnphM

I can't view the video due to a power outage and data restriction on phone, but if it can be done on journey I have two q's:

Can it be 12 people instead of just 2?

Can you set the time limit to infinity?

It is much funner on an escape map when you have more people. And the no time limit thing is basically mandatory.

Btw the editor does sound amazing as far as I can tell and I haven't given ubi a pat on the back yet. Good job ubi, keep up the good work! (And make escape maps possible!) 😁

Fallen-Champ
03-08-2018, 07:27 AM
I can't view the video due to a power outage and data restriction on phone, but if it can be done on journey I have two q's:

Can it be 12 people instead of just 2?

Can you set the time limit to infinity?

It is much funner on an escape map when you have more people. And the no time limit thing is basically mandatory.

Hi Sknipester
Unsure what time you can select on PvP maps but will guarantee there is no infinite option in multiplayer, we don't have access to Arcade there might be some options to alter the time from some choices but this is guess work on my part and it isn't fair to speculate or build peoples hopes up.

I played some Escape maps in FC3 that were very interesting and these were played on the time choices we got with that game so if you make them in FC5 for PvP you can start with no weapons so don't have to worry about people killing you when the map starts, it could be that you might have to make them smaller to allow players to get through them in the given time and have them as Part 1 then when that ends make another map starting from that end point from the previous map.

If you play Solo / Coop maps then you can play those with no timer or you can add a timer in if you wanted to, there are some modifiers in multiplayer and more in solo campaign, some modifiers are specific to a mode so with Bounty Hunt there is one that shows up the targets at the start of the map should you enable that modifier.

Journey mode is the same as Extraction in FC4 so you place an extraction point and the map ends when you get to it.
A mode like that works for Race maps so whoever gets there first wins - works for Escape / Obstacle course maps but obviously only 2 players max - would be fun that mode in PvP.
You can alter the time in maps but unsure what the maximum can be I would rather wait for the launch game to find out, like I said we have no access to Arcade so we don't know what options are available when playing multiplayer for changing the default time of a map.

There is massive destructibility in FC5 100s of items can be destroyed, also with the wingsuit and grapple hook I see some excellent coop Escape maps been made.

DrShakez
03-08-2018, 07:51 AM
I'd like a "destination" game--mode or playlist where the objective is to get to the end of a map. The objective would be to complete all obstacles/puzzles of a certain map that would basically enable you to "beat" it, and the destination would basically be the end of the map. This should be a 12 person playlist, and their definitely has to be an option to set the time to infinity, or no limit. I guess the only way to skip the map would be to vote during the game (majority of players).

This is why I was expecting a "Race" game type. You could do escape and course maps as well as actual vehicle races. The best thing I can think of doing if you want an old style course in FC5 is to set everyone to unarmed, then place some power weapon at the end of the course (and a low kill count for victory, like 5 kills).

Sknipester
03-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Hi Sknipester
Unsure what time you can select on PvP maps but will guarantee there is no infinite option in multiplayer, we don't have access to Arcade there might be some options to alter the time from some choices but this is guess work on my part and it isn't fair to speculate or build peoples hopes up.

I played some Escape maps in FC3 that were very interesting and these were played on the time choices we got with that game so if you make them in FC5 for PvP you can start with no weapons so don't have to worry about people killing you when the map starts, it could be that you might have to make them smaller to allow players to get through them in the given time and have them as Part 1 then when that ends make another map starting from that end point from the previous map.

If you play Solo / Coop maps then you can play those with no timer or you can add a timer in if you wanted to, there are some modifiers in multiplayer and more in solo campaign, some modifiers are specific to a mode so with Bounty Hunt there is one that shows up the targets at the start of the map should you enable that modifier.

Journey mode is the same as Extraction in FC4 so you place an extraction point and the map ends when you get to it.
A mode like that works for Race maps so whoever gets there first wins - works for Escape / Obstacle course maps but obviously only 2 players max - would be fun that mode in PvP.
You can alter the time in maps but unsure what the maximum can be I would rather wait for the launch game to find out, like I said we have no access to Arcade so we don't know what options are available when playing multiplayer for changing the default time of a map.

There is massive destructibility in FC5 100s of items can be destroyed, also with the wingsuit and grapple hook I see some excellent coop Escape maps been made.

Welp, this is a deal breaker for me. Setting a time limit than adding another map from a start point/ end point way is not a good way of doing escape maps IMO. You can just download and play part 3 of a 3 part escape map without ever playing part 1 and 2, which defeats the point and fun IMO. You'd also have to download it and wait for your turn to vote it in in pvp, thus creating the issue of people in the lobby not having played the previous parts... Far cry 2 had it right with custom lobbies and infinite map timers.

Now journey with 12 players and infinite timer would be a good way to add it...or maybe race, again with infinite timer. I wouldn't bother escape maps with 2 people. Much better with more.

Here's to hopes that there will be some type of dlc for this game type. It's really the deal breaker for me. It's the difference between eh, maybe I'll get the game to absolutely I'll get the game.

As great as the editor looks if you can't play the games you love on it... Well... Than you just don't play it.

Now if the time limit maximum is an hour, that "might" be an exception... but still, infinite would be way better.

Fallen-Champ
03-08-2018, 02:08 PM
Is there any customisation of lobbies at all by the host or is it just set options with no flexibility?
Honestly none of us know, we have the editor and that's it we don't connect online so can't get into Arcade and look.

I would expect a few choices on the timer but nothing big, what was FC3 was it 20 mins max I don't remember ?

Viragoxv535
03-08-2018, 03:23 PM

Then i guess all the destruction only happens in the editor because in vanilla i see almost no destruction at all.

BattlePHILd
03-08-2018, 04:35 PM
The Dislike voting option will be abused to dislike really good maps because of getting killed in TDM. What Ubi still fail to understand is that in competitive gameplay you can get really irrate when your team is rubbish. Then the losing team dislike the map because they have to blame something for them being rubbish players.

Therefore the rating system will not be used to rate the actual map.

FAR BETTER WOULD BE TO HAVE LIKE OR SKIP RATING

NO DISLIKE OPTION

Not sure I agree. By this logic, everyone who wins would automatically like the map.

Personally, if I don't enjoy a match because I get my *** kicked, I might want to skip the map if it came up again, but I would still hit like if it were a well made map. I'm sure not everyone does as I do, but I think it was a good decision.

Fallen-Champ
03-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Then i guess all the destruction only happens in the editor because in vanilla i see almost no destruction at all.
I would guess that the Far Cry 5 items we use in the editor come from the main game (Campaign) so if they are destructible in multiplayer maps I doubt they would turn off destructibility or stop them having physics, Far Cry's editor generally gets things from the campaign if you look at FC4 lots of items in campaign could be destroyed (sure they were small items but still could be destroyed) but we got hardly any of those that worked that way instead we got the item solid with no destruction.

When building a map I place items in I am going to use and I throw grenades and TNT at these items it is very time consuming but I do this because I don't want people getting out of the map into areas they shouldn't be in.

Saying 100s are destructible it could be a cardboard box or small plate but also fences, dynamic doors, some metal sheeting I am not talking terrain / houses / walls more hay bales, that kind of thing but why would I lie ? (there are hundreds of items)

Sknipester
03-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Honestly none of us know, we have the editor and that's it we don't connect online so can't get into Arcade and look.

I would expect a few choices on the timer but nothing big, what was FC3 was it 20 mins max I don't remember ?

I wonder if they could have a "time extension" vote towards the end time of a map like with far cry 2 dm or tdm. That would certainly be better for escape map playability although it would get annoying voting every 5 or 10 minutes for time extension whatever was it.

AlexoEx0
03-09-2018, 05:58 AM
"Historically, people didnít really play the other modes much. Itís unfortunate but true"

This is purely anecdotal but I remember playing a tonne of capture the diamond back in the FC2 days on PS2. Would make sure there is some teamplay going on with escorting a single player by the whole team. I also liked the domination type game mode where you had the captain who was the only person who could capture 3 flags across the map in a conquest/domination style game mode that we have seen in BF/COD respectively.

A_Combi_Stick
03-09-2018, 06:56 AM
I just want Steal the Sample back, man that mode was so good. Loved being able to throw the objective over a wall, or to a teammate in a vehicle.

akilyoung
03-09-2018, 03:52 PM
This new IGE is iterative, since the asset packs will clearly add more to it at a bare minimum, you never know if ubi plans on adding any more game modes. I am NOT saying this is the case, but I wouldnt be surprised at all.

I mean, the zombie DLC is a horde type thing, would be cool if a MP horde game mode was added with that DLC, you know? But who knows.