PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Raider against assassins ?

Wild.Coyote2327
03-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Hey,

I picked up Raider yesterday, and had a lot of fun with him in Dominion. I know he's in a bad place right now, but I was doing pretty good until... until I fought Zerker/Shaman/Peacekeeper.

Anyone has any tip on how to deal with these assassins as a Raider ? Since they attack way faster and everytime I attack they dodge attack..
It seems like there's almost nothing I can do against them.. even the ones that aren't that good.

I really want to play him but I can't deal with the fact that I can't seem do to anything against faster attackers with dodge attacks.

Any tips would be appreciated.

The_B0G_
03-06-2018, 04:51 PM
I don't play raider but one thing you can do to combat assassins who dodge attack a lot is feint, and then GB. You will catch a lot of them, if their dodge attack is too fast and hits before you can GB,
Then feint, wait for him to dodge attack and parry it.

David_gorda
03-06-2018, 04:52 PM
Feint attack and parry their dodge attack. Raider is really bad in 1vs1 if you are not really good at parry light attacks. He is pretty good though in group fights in 4vs4.

BarbeQMichael
03-06-2018, 04:52 PM
Raider is in bad place now, you should just wait for the reworks if you want to be competetive. He lacks any kind of fast attacks so against any good player you just get parried all the time. Your best bet is to try the feint into stunning tap, while sometimes letting the heavy or zone fly, it gets people who panick, but against good players the stunning tap is just 100% parry. Raider has also nice ability to guardbreak after dodge so you should try to do dodge slow recovery attacks so you can gb and carry. The carry drains stamina, and if you carry to a wall, you get 15 dmg from knee and 15dmg from guaranteed light, with enemy stamina resetting to 20%.

But yeah, against equally good assassin, you will lose. Raider is noobstomper currently, but nothing more.

Wild.Coyote2327
03-06-2018, 05:05 PM
I try to bait the dodge attack with a feint but it doesn't work most of the time, since when they're in my face they'd rather cut my attack with a light attack than dodge attack. They only dodge attack if I do the stunning tap or commit to an attack.

But yeah, against equally good assassin, you will lose. Raider is noobstomper currently, but nothing more.

That's what I was afraid of. In a group fight, I can destroy everything, and even when I'm getting ganked 1v3 or 1v4 I can hold a point long enough for my teammates to take other 2 points, but when it comes to a 1v1 against a good/average assassin player, I always end up losing.

I guess I'll stick to my assassin characters for now then.

SwellChemosabe
03-06-2018, 05:17 PM
As someone who also recently started playing the vanguard characters Warden and Raider, and used to main zerker for about two consecutive seasons, the one thing i can share that i have found to be most helpful is to learn how to parry their light attacks.

Other than that, wait for them to show their cards. a lot of assassin players tend to stick to one combo, prefer one side to the other in guard stance, and have different tricks they like to use. wait for them to expose it, learn from it, then use it against them. For example:

As a berserker (pre reworks) i used to use a bait and switch move, where i throw a light just out of range and then immediately initiate a top heavy finisher, which would often times lure the opponent into trading damage with me. or, when i finally got the hang of zerkers feint game, i found that i would use the right side for the following light attack too often. this would lead to my opponents eventually figuring out what i was doing and then i'd have to switch it up, which didn't always work either.

this method takes some time, you might get killed a few times or may lose a game or two to the same players before you learn what their preferences are.

Tyrjo
03-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Feint attack and parry their dodge attack. Raider is really bad in 1vs1 if you are not really good at parry light attacks. He is pretty good though in group fights in 4vs4.

You can, but if it's a dodge heavy wont you just get a light from that? If it is a dodge light, like Berserker has, then it's more worth while.

Tyrjo
03-06-2018, 05:22 PM

You can, but if it's a dodge heavy you just get a light from that. If it is a dodge light, like Berserker has, then it's more worth while.