PDA

View Full Version : Why IL2 is so amazing

p-11.cAce
05-04-2010, 12:04 PM
When I first installed IL2 I was living in Atlanta and working at KPDK. Since then I've moved multiple times, been married, divorced, and married again. I've finished a degree and got my MCSE. I celebrated my 6 year anniversary at my current job, had a few close calls flying in RL, and got a few new nieces and a nephew.

Last night I hopped into the FMB and set up a simple 1 vs. 3 in my beloved Emil against some I-15's over Slovakia. Cleaning up after take-off I smile at the familiar voice of capt. Klink vectoring me towards my target. I'm thrilled spotting the dots in the distance. I'm still just as excited trying to keep a mental picture of those pesky Chaika's as I bleed E all over the place. I still feel a sense of satisfaction as the brakes squeal to a stop and the prop kicks to a stop.

Still feeling that after all this time - now that is amazing.

p-11.cAce
05-04-2010, 12:04 PM
When I first installed IL2 I was living in Atlanta and working at KPDK. Since then I've moved multiple times, been married, divorced, and married again. I've finished a degree and got my MCSE. I celebrated my 6 year anniversary at my current job, had a few close calls flying in RL, and got a few new nieces and a nephew.

Last night I hopped into the FMB and set up a simple 1 vs. 3 in my beloved Emil against some I-15's over Slovakia. Cleaning up after take-off I smile at the familiar voice of capt. Klink vectoring me towards my target. I'm thrilled spotting the dots in the distance. I'm still just as excited trying to keep a mental picture of those pesky Chaika's as I bleed E all over the place. I still feel a sense of satisfaction as the brakes squeal to a stop and the prop kicks to a stop.

Still feeling that after all this time - now that is amazing.

Metatron_123
05-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Il2 is a gem, no doubt about it. So versatile, the re-playability borders on ridiculous. A real classic for me.

triad773
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Cheers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

IL-2 is looking like it will outlive my lifelong commitment too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

(Still) none better than IL-2/1946 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Mr_Zooly
05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Been in and out of Il2 since release (!!EDIT!! of the game !!EDIT!!) and there has been no other game that I have played that is so old or so impressive, and now the mods make the game look and play better than ever.
PS
Divorce, I wish http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

M2morris
05-04-2010, 03:11 PM
What happened in your few close calls flying in real life p-11.cAce?

Waldo.Pepper
05-04-2010, 04:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:
since release
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't even know you had been in prison!?

thefruitbat
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:
since release
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't even know you had been in prison!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahaha, he's got your number zoolmister!!!!!

VW-IceFire
05-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I have to agree completely... IL-2 is such an amazing product and has so much replayability. The other day I was flying around just having fun... sometimes it's just fun to buzz a few houses or fly through the mountains.... loop under a bridge. It's all good.

danjama
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Welcome back P11! Didn't we fly together online? I remember you well...Glad to hear life is keeping you entertained. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Bearcat99
05-04-2010, 08:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p-11.cAce:

Still feeling that after all this time - now that is amazing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to see you still standing... it has been a while.

And yeah it still amazes me when I boot up this sim that it still looks and flys so great... Some of the mods have done amazing things.. but even stock out of the box patched to 4.09 is PDG for a 10 year old flight sim.

p-11.cAce
05-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Dan we did fly together - and Bearcat I am SO glad to see you still here. I've still got that copy of the book I promised about the Red Tails for you.

So my three RL flying "close calls" were all really dumb (as they usually are).
Number one was in a L23 Super Blanik - the lift was shutting down for the day and I waited to long to head back to the field. I had never "landed out" and flew a terrible pattern after realizing too late how dependent I had become on the usual landmarks around the field. I got down in one piece, no damage, and the property owner was really cool.
Number two was also in the L23. I was landing on a pretty strong and turbulent afternoon. I was a little sick from the constant turbulence (it happens) and the sun frying me through that greenhouse canopy. The windsock was all over the place so I checked to see which way the towplane was landing and set up to land opposite him. For anyone not used to tow operations the towplanes usually land downwind (unless its really strong) to avoid taxi-backs; so if you land the opposite way the towplane does you are usually set up to land upwind. Anyway I got long and low on my downwind (sloppy) and teardropped around an improvised base to final. I was all over the spoilers as my airspeed was +/- 10knots in the gusts and I was really getting bounced. I saw the yaw string slide off into a skid as I over-ruddered the turn to final just as my airspeed fell off. Thankfully I was in the Blanik - if I had been in the clubs ASK I'd prob be a statistic. Instead she wallowed through the turn, the stick dead in my hand, dropped her nose and got us flying again.
The last was mega-uber-stupid. I had built about 100 hours of powered time and rented a Katana to fly from St. Louis to Lafayette In. to visit a friend at Purdue a few winters ago. Flight out was fine. A front was moving in and I decided to leave early and at night. "Great - ez navigation, quiet radios, piece of cake". I was droning along when something caught my eye outside. I was not sure what I was seeing, it looked like sparks from my tip strobes. I could still see the ground, gauges were normal, but every few flashes I'd see something. Finally somewhere in my sleepy brain I realized it was snow. Now here is the point where everyone says "ok Brian - do you have your IFR ticket? No? Then turn around!". Part of my mind was saying just that- but another part was saying "dam-how many additional rental days is this going to cost me? I can still see the ground fine! Heck I can still see the moon occasionally. This is just some light stuff." I pressed on for a few more minutes when BANG someone opened the freaking snow dumpster. No moon, no ground, insta-hard core solid IFR. Yeah-my panic meter spiked. I was just north of Springfield Il - it was glowing there all pretty on the GPS. I double punched nrst and started a basic instrument scan. Fortunately this was no storm - no turbulence, no gusts, just a wash of snow over the canopy in the dark. I was hyperventilating and it took me 10x longer than it should have to figure out how to even tune the freaking radio and get in touch with Springfield. So I declared, the controller was super calming and helpful, and 30 secs later I popped out into clear air. The time from hitting IFR to clear was actually only a few minutes - it felt like far longer! Anyway it was super stupid, the kind of mistake I always said I'd never make, and exactly the kind of thing that makes inexperienced pilots drill holes in the ground. I think having hundreds of soaring hours helped me instinctively maintain basic control - and having her spot on trimmed. But if there had been much turbulence combined with my sheer stark panic I could easily have lost control. It happens that fast.

Anyway - enough story timehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Really happy with 4.09 and glad to be back!

JtD
05-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Well, stupid or not, at least you now got stories to tell. The last one reads frightening, wouldn't want to have been in your place. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

p-11.cAce
05-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah - that was by far the most egregious. In retrospect the really big surprise was my own physical reaction. I remember looking at the panel and truly being dumbfounded. I've read a ton of reports about VFR guys losing control in IMC and I guess you always think "Geeze-the freaking 8ball is right there in front of you"; but I was so shocked I seriously could not think. If I had not been in calm air, or had not been trimmed I easily could have started "chasing needles" without maintaining full situational awareness.

M2morris
05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Being cool can get you home alive I guess. On the glider side I remember practicing turning stalls and doing spins, at a safe alt of course, in an L23. I got about 7 hours in one. Its user friendly and a mighty fine sailplane.

Outlaw---
05-05-2010, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
In retrospect the really big surprise was my own physical reaction. I remember looking at the panel and truly being dumbfounded. I've read a ton of reports about VFR guys losing control in IMC and I guess you always think "Geeze-the freaking 8ball is right there in front of you"; but I was so shocked I seriously could not think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the same with most recreational sports where the possibility of death exists and the training is not super hardcore. In my case it was a night dive off Santa Cruz with barely 15' of visibility. The water's freezing over there and the surge was really bad. Between my first and second air check I had burned through 2700 psi and I was at 80'! Barely enough time to head in the general direction of the boat while ascending. Once I lost sight of the bottom, buoyancy control went out the window and I was ascending so fast I could actually hear the air whistle as my ears equalized. It freaked me out so much it was 30 seconds or so before I even reacted. I still can't believe I had no symptoms of decompression sickness whatsoever.

--Outlaw.