PDA

View Full Version : DLC NEEDS to be Allowed in Map Editor

John_Zonbi
03-02-2018, 10:20 PM
With FC4 we could not use the yetis, unless we used mods. But we should not have to rely on mods. FC5 DLC needs to be usable in the Map Editor to help expand variety, creativity, and plus we all know we want to make wacky alien zombie Vietcong maps.

usmovers_02
03-02-2018, 10:43 PM
I agree. And to avoid splitting the community into groups that have the DLC and groups that don't only the map maker should be required to buy the DLC. All who play the map should be able to use it for free.

Maddog_McGruels
03-03-2018, 09:25 AM
I am not really hoping for much in this regard. But if they haven't included it already I hope they can see that patching this feature into the map editor is essential for satisfying the map editor community.

Nothing I want more than to be able to make all kinds of map scenarios. Having Snow/Tropical/Desert to name a few possible landscapes in Far Cry 4 was a blast. Just kept thinking of new possibilities. Was really difficult to make sci fi scenarios in far cry 4. The Shangri La lighting and asian themes of Far Cry 4 kind of allowed for a Vietnam style atmosphere, but still had trouble with what seemed like the wrong kind of vegetation. Hoping the Mars DLC can really boost the Editor's versatility and vietnam will provide a more jungle environment when desired.

DrShakez
03-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Absolutely. The diversity of the DLC is too good for it not to be included in the editor.

Steve64b
03-03-2018, 10:38 PM
It could even be another cash cow, if executed right. The tricky thing with using these DLC assets in maps, is that those maps won't be accessible to players who don't have those assets.

Unless Ubisoft would include DLC-placeholders with the game, that contain all the required models, but with blank textures or something.

Either way, it'd be an opportunity to nag players with a "to experience this map fully, please purchase the DLC packs". I bet players would be more interested in this than purely cosmetic items for their character, but I could be wrong... ;)

Viragoxv535
03-04-2018, 12:41 AM
If we assume that SP created maps will be playable on the standard edition then assets will probably be there otherwise how would you be able to play?

Steve64b
03-04-2018, 01:17 AM
It can go several ways:

No DLC content is available in the editor.
This is the easiest way, and most common (see past Far Cry games). I really hope they won't choose this! :D

DLC content is available, those maps can only be played by players who own the DLC.
This would be possible, and provide incentive for more players to buy the DLC (gaining access to more maps). However, editors should keep in mind their object usage: not all players may be able to play their maps if they use content from the DLC's. Players may get frustrated, not being able to play some cool maps. They'd either give up, or buy the DLC if it's appealing enough.

DLC content is available, those maps can be played by all players, even those who do not own the DLC.
This would be ideal; it will not cripple players from enjoying any maps. But how do you make sure the DLC assets can be loaded in those maps, when players don't have those assets' DLC packs installed? Ubisoft could make it so that everyone would have the DLC files installed, but only paying customers can enjoy the DLC campaigns. Or, Ubisoft could provide placeholder DLC assets: containing all the models required for the custom maps to be playable, possibly with crippled textures.

This is from a playability perspective. There's the editor's perspective too. Potentially it'd be possible to have special DLC packs for the editor, separate from the game's SP/campaign DLC. Question is whether you want to charge editors for using extra assets? Community maps add value to the game, editors having to pay extra may not be a nice philosophy. They basically invest their time, offering extra free content to the game.

On a side-note, perhaps even micro-transactions can come into play here too. This article (https://gamerant.com/far-cry-5-cosmetic-microtransactions-no-loot-box/) mentions a "silver bars" currency linked to micro-transactions. Perhaps people can 'buy' specific DLC contents with the silver bars, so the standard edition folks can hop in even if they don't own the Season Pass for the DLC.

MIGHTY393434622
03-04-2018, 03:40 AM
How about everyone can play maps but only dlc weapons, clothes, vehicles and map assets can only be used by users who own that dlc. That way it won't split the community and people can try b4 buying it by those who made maps with these things. Similar to littlebigplanet or disney infinity.

Viragoxv535
03-04-2018, 05:35 AM
I really don't see the dilemma here guys. The assets just sit there for you to use in the editor or play in user created maps. The DLCs are about the scripting and the arrangement of those assets so i don't understand why those shouldn't already be in the standard edition. It would be much more complicated leaving them out because then how would the system react if you play any maps for which you miss, for example, one item? Kick you out? Or maybe download it from the server?

ducain23
03-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Yes yes yes yes yes!!!

Steve64b
03-04-2018, 12:12 PM
I really don't see the dilemma here guys. The assets just sit there for you to use in the editor or play in user created maps.That isn't the case for any previous Far Cry game. DLC content is stored in their respective datfile separate from the main game's files. DLC files would only download if you own the DLC.

And even if you had those datfiles present on your system, custom maps only load files contained in one specific standalone multicommon.dat file, designed exclusively for custom maps and multiplayer.

If the editor were to support DLC assets, it would have to be modified to look for assets in the DLC dats (meaning people who don't have the DLC's are out of luck), or the multicommon.dat itself would be patched with just the assets from the DLC rather than the full DLC campaign itself.

Viragoxv535
03-04-2018, 02:36 PM
That isn't the case for any previous Far Cry game. DLC content is stored in their respective datfile separate from the main game's files. DLC files would only download if you own the DLC.

And even if you had those datfiles present on your system, custom maps only load files contained in one specific standalone multicommon.dat file, designed exclusively for custom maps and multiplayer.

If the editor were to support DLC assets, it would have to be modified to look for assets in the DLC dats (meaning people who don't have the DLC's are out of luck), or the multicommon.dat itself would be patched with just the assets from the DLC rather than the full DLC campaign itself.

I apologize, i didn't know that. Then what happens if you have the standard edition and play a user created map with DLC assets?

Steve64b
03-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Then what happens if you have the standard edition and play a user created map with DLC assets?First off - there are no DLC assets in the Far Cry 4 editor at all.

Also, the editor only offers a subset of all game objects. For example, you'll have Pagan Min in his pink suit, but other Pagan Min varieties are not part of the editor, even though they're part of the main game.

Modders managed to add some more objects to the editor on PC, including the Harpoon gun. This was possible because Ubisoft patched some objects later, and placed them in patch.dat. This datfile is also loaded by the game in custom maps mode, so any patched DLC contents that have all their dependencies in there, could also work in the editor.

Some modders added additional DLC contents to their mods, but didn't realize those objects were incompatible with vanilla installations of the game; maps with those objects would work in the editor and game, but ONLY if their mod was installed on the computer playing the map.

If the mapfile references objects that are not in the multicommon.dat or patch.dat file, the game will unfortunately crash. Example of this is "Dome of the yetis", which requires Fino's Yeti mod installed to bring the Yeti to the editor.

It was so cool though, having the Yeti in the editor. I hope with Far Cry 5, we do get access to the DLC objects in the editor! They can add a whole new dimension to it! :)

Uncle-Biff
03-04-2018, 07:37 PM
What if there was an option on the map browser to filter user created maps that use the DLC assets?
That way, only people who owned the DLC could play those maps. I know that isn't ideal for everyone but it seems the most likely option to me if the DLC items even get added to the map editor.

I would literally spend another 20 if it meant I could create my own Alien adventures and invite people to play my maps. Ever since Far Cry Instincts I have been obsessed with map creation and the far cry editors have always been the most intuitive and fun. I don't mind making an entire map and populating it with non DLC items for everyone to play and then uploading essentially the same map but with zombies instead for all the season pass owners.

It would quite possibly become my favourite game of all time if we were able to play with the DLC assets. I already have a week booked off work for when the game launches.
Sad I know :)

Steve64b
03-05-2018, 02:25 AM
Yeah I'd be in favor of such an option. I think even presenting players with a "you can't play this map, because you need to get the DLC first" would be a legitimate reason for people to get the DLC. After all, they won't be getting "just" the DLC's campaign, but also hundreds of extra maps with those assets! :)

akilyoung
03-05-2018, 03:34 AM
Yetis in the ige? THAT'S an interesting idea.. :)

Steve64b
03-06-2018, 10:44 AM
None mappers maybe would pass on it let alone skip multiplayer all together with a paywall.It's just a paywall for maps that use the DLC content. Other maps just using standard content would be available to everyone. Obviously the players with the standard edition will mostly be presented with the maps they can play.

I would think there will be enough players that only have the standard edition & can make maps perfectly fine with those assets. What's wrong with people having access to thousands of maps by default, yet having an additional thousands behind a paywall?

I just would like to see more of a focus on the map editor side of the franchise. For me it's the only aspect that doesn't grow boring. If Ubisoft can make some extra money with the editor, they could perhaps even be more inclined to release additional assets (and perhaps even game modes) for it.

ImGonaG3tUsucka
03-06-2018, 11:56 AM
It's just a paywall for maps that use the DLC content. Other maps just using standard content would be available to everyone. Obviously the players with the standard edition will mostly be presented with the maps they can play.

I would think there will be enough players that only have the standard edition & can make maps perfectly fine with those assets. What's wrong with people having access to thousands of maps by default, yet having an additional thousands behind a paywall?

I just would like to see more of a focus on the map editor side of the franchise. For me it's the only aspect that doesn't grow boring. If Ubisoft can make some extra money with the editor, they could perhaps even be more inclined to release additional assets (and perhaps even game modes) for it.

Steve64b know his stuff when it comes to modding.. period

I would love if you could make maps with the DLC content, and maybe let anyone play the map so it doesn't split the players. Only the map editors play for the assets. But those other methods mentioned might be what Ubisoft does. Or anyone who buys the season pass as said before.

Which ever Ubisoft decides, I know if I got a boat load of assets from each of those themes, Vietnam, zombies and Mars. I would buy the season pass. I'm not a fan of extra pay walls. But seriously I would love to make a zombie map or even have a zombie look to a map. I know it's done to death.but geez I have been waiting forever for an option like that in Far Cry. Also the other themes are great too. War maps with the Vietnam pack. I'm sure I would make some space maps too. Ubisoft couldn't have come up with a better group of assets if you ask me.

Lets just hope we can use them and hope Ubisoft has a fair method to use them.

Maddog_McGruels
03-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Yeah you're all nice people and all.... but if there is a paywall for exclusive DLC assets in the map editor.... and you can't afford it.... well..... I'm sorry but I'm ditchin you for Ubisoft. Ubisoft, shutup and take my money.

Steve64b
03-06-2018, 05:02 PM
YEP, some DLC content packa will be in the editor, hear it mentioned here (https://youtu.be/bSs91a7ur54?t=145). The way they say 'DLC packs', it sounds like the Map Editor assets will be separate from the DLC. Meaning...... EVERYONE WILL BE ABLE TO USE THEM! :)

Viragoxv535
03-06-2018, 07:03 PM
So you won't need to pay a dime for DLC assets... right?

Farcryisdead
03-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Zombie maps will be VERY popular, lol i predict 1000's of zombie maps with no textures or assets, just a mounted large weapon aiming down on a pit full of 100's of zombies, jacksepticeye zombie hordes.

Steve64b
03-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Well I bought $60 xbox card off of Amazon. I'm ready.

Your wallet may be, but is your mind? With object count of over 9000, you're about to lose it. Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? :D

Maddog_McGruels
03-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Also what are the multiplayer game modes? So far reddit said TDM and DM. I hope there's more then that. Should have a conquest or domination mode with flags. Or a one life round playing capture the flag. Or a bomb plant mode like search and destroy.

Maybe a take the enemies outpost/hostages is a possible thing. "Capture the Truck?" how does that sound? (I actually loved CTF back in the BF1942 DC days, so I would definitely love "capture the truck"), how about a version of Big Buck Hunter, where you can steal your competitors kills if you get your own targets first. That kind of PvP fast paced strategy was lit on two player big buck hunter III (or some version of big buck hunter I played back in the day). Ubisoft seem committed to continuous development/listening to the community at this stage and they seem like they have learnt from their competitors errors, precisely from the dead servers regarding the reasons you mentioned above, because.... its all free now baby, all assets is free.

Fc5moreai
06-15-2018, 12:58 AM
[QUOTE=John_Zonbi;13346323]With FC4 we could not use the yetis, unless we used mods. But we should not have to rely on mods. FC5 DLC needs to be usable in the Map Editor to help expand variety, creativity, and plus we all know we want to make wacky alien zombie Vietcong maps.[/QUOTE I NEED ALIENS AI AND ZOMBIES SO I can finish my alien planet map in the editor. Also I want air strikes in the map editor with all ai and weapons from vietnam mars and zombies that would be great plus vehicles too if they can i want all the tools to create please.

Steve64b
06-15-2018, 08:32 AM
The DLC AI (Vietnam), Mars and Zombie assets will come to the editor, you just need to be patient!

The upcoming Mid-July Title Update 8 will add the Vietnam AI, weapons and vehicles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-257IpYvYI&feature=youtu.be&t=2792). :)

UnionHouse
06-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Man, I can't wait to have all these Angel-filled city maps get re-released as zombie-filled city maps.

But no, it's going to be great when you load into a fairly normal Far Cry farmland map, open the door, and the map is full of aliens!

cskiller86
06-18-2018, 01:19 PM
You're probably going to have to wait a bit more for the aliens, though.

If the Vietnam gameplay objects are released 2 TUs after the actual DLC, then it's safe to assume that the same will happen to the Mars DLC, unfortunately.