PDA

View Full Version : Another thread whining about the game's direction

Jazz117Volkov
03-02-2018, 11:31 AM
I'm a Knight so I'll be speaking from that perspective, but I think similar sentiments can be felt across the board.

Since release, and correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing has been added to the game that contributes to the core values of the three factions. The DLC maps have been really nice, but the DLC heroes were, specifically in the Knights' case, nothing to do with the faction. Gladiator is a showman who's values don't extend beyond glory and fame, and Centurion is leader from a dead empire who's behaviour would get him exiled or executed if practiced in the presence of an actual knight.

My gripes with Romans aside (I actually like the Romans, I just hate that they're knights), the game has gotten nothing that's contributed knightly things to the knight faction. Why? No lore, no characters, no emotes, two executions yes (End Them Rightly and A Moment of Silence), but one is a meme, which is a whole other thing I'll get to, and that's just the Warden. Mind you, the new animations in most cases are excellent and do demonstrate the personalities of the heroes really well, still, nothing particularly knightly, and nothing that links the heroes to the faction or each other.

I hope the success (popularity) of the Test Your Metal mode has made the obvious (evidently not obvious enough) desire in the community for proper PvE content more obvious. The most successful event thus far, if I'm not mistaken. Yet the story mode, lore in general, and dedicated cooperative content have received zero attention since launch. This in particular has been one of those most frustrating parts of following this game over the past year. Pretty much all of my friends won't pick up this game because A) the story mode is an underdeveloped joke and the coop content is nonexistent, and B) because it's Ubisoft and Ubisoft are the devil < this belief is perpetually validated by article one in this list.

Edge Lords. Why? This ties into something the game is doing universally that is bugging me to no end. Everything is skulls, spikes or a chandelier. Why? It's not that I don't think there should be spikes on some armours, or that there shouldn't be that really cool skull embossing. But that's all we're getting. Spikes. Skulls. Most of this stuff out-edges Olly, and she was actually trying to dress like a demon.

Like, what? Is this why the knights never take their helms off?
https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/006/185/068/large/miguel-iglesias-chaosspacemarineportraitstep6.jpg?1496668974

Look at the amazing art in the knight locations. Those statues in The Shard (I think it is), and there's some with angel wings too. I think that stuff looks so much better, and is actually representative of the knights. The faction is about order, loyalty, protection, and noble virtue (Hellfire is cool, but c'mon...where's my proper angelic wings?) Same thing is happening with the masks. Everything we get is either demonic, bloodlust, or a meme. This ties into that other thread I made about the attitude in the executions: your choices are A) Kill them and move on before their body hits the ground, B) Brutalize, humiliate, and laugh at them for half a dozen seconds. Again, I will point out that I'm not complaining that these things are in the game--it's cool they're here, most of this stuff is really cool--I'm complaining that that is all that is in the game.

Oh god the memes. Make them stop. Initially I was able to laugh at it but please don't keep making memes. We're getting actual salt meme emotes...you could be making so much cooler stuff. I don't give a fcuk about "rubbing salt in the wounds" of my enemies. Please grow up. This game is becoming a parody of itself.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/for-honor/images/2/24/Instant_Regrets.gif

http://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltefap6sK41ql9b8ho3_500.gif

I think I've made my points clear, so my question to you, Ubisoft: is this a game I should remain interested in? Kinda heartbreaking if no; it's such a unique and brilliant concept. But I'll get over it. I've been through worse, I promise.

Specialkha
03-02-2018, 12:10 PM
For solo content, look how well they treated the Division in that department.

BTTrinity
03-02-2018, 12:27 PM
I dont even play the Knights, but I can agree with everything you said about them and the Romans.

Like Specialkha said, look how they treated the Division with solo content (Spoiler alert, there is none)

I was okay with the memes, but now Im having second thoughts.... As the game is kind of promoting BM (bad manners) in a way.

I think I've made my points clear, so my question to you, Ubisoft: is this a game I should remain interested in? Kinda heartbreaking if no; it's such a unique and brilliant concept. But I'll get over it. I've been through worse, I promise.

This^ Right Effin Here

Veerdin-Wraith
03-02-2018, 03:30 PM
While I don't really mind the "meme" content (I don't even really find it excessive, honestly. There's a few things like the Salt emote, but other than that I don't see the issue) I agree with pretty much everything else in this thread. I've been a Knight loyalist since closed beta, even though the Knight faction feels like it's constantly getting stomped on, both in the faction war and in terms of content updates.

I'm not really a fan of Roman/Greek history, if I'm honest. So I have zero interest in both Centurion and Gladiator. I love late 15th/early 16th century European aesthetics, and at first, it seemed like that was where the Knight faction was headed, but then they just started adding spikes and blades to everything, not releasing any new armour, making "weapons" that'd look more at home in a Korean MMO, and everything else the Knights got was roman or greek themed.

It all started when they changed the Knight's colour from green to yellow. That may not seem like it's a big deal, but the colour of a team does actually have an impact on whether or not people pick them (which is one of the reasons Vikings are so damn popular) but I feel like the Knights get majorly neglected.

Like, would it kill the devs to give us a Knight class that actually looks like a damn knight!?

Vakris_One
03-02-2018, 03:39 PM
It would be nice if they go back a bit more to the way For Honor was originaly imagined by Jason Vanderberghe. A gritty, viceral medieval world rather than the cartoonish meme-land that For Honor has slowly been turning into. It's not enough to turn me off of the game but I did enjoy Jason's vision of For Honor as represented in the betas more than this version of For Honor, which is currently leaning too far in the direction of memes and "for teh lolz" stuff.

It's a shame they've ignored the story mode campaign ever since they were basically forced to put a basic one in to justify the £40 price tag. I want to replay the story mode with the different male/female variants of the main characters and I honestly don't understand why that is not a thing already. It's a basic feature of any story mode to be able to replay it with the different character options. Why have they not enabled this already?

Perhaps the upcoming arena mode will add something to the lore by giving each faction a unique arena. The return of Daubeny for the Knights and all that.

Tirik22x
03-02-2018, 04:02 PM
I COMPLETELY agree, OP. I made a thread about how terrible and ridiculously immature this meme culture, and how bad it is for what the game was supposed to be, and was basically ridiculed by a bunch of children, and then a mod told me basically “too bad, the meme emotes are here to stay, in there infinite hump the air broken state.”

Which doesn’t bode well for the future of the game...

I was hooked since the very first cinematic trailer, more so than any other game, but the current state and direction of the game is not even a resemblance of that trailer...

It was about honor, and brutality... and now the game is simple Rah! Rah! rah! Rah! rah! Rah!-diculous... and simply immature.

I personally have to feel immersed in a video game to enjoy it... and they’re making this more and more difficult with every update.

Veerdin-Wraith
03-02-2018, 04:06 PM
It would be nice if they go back a bit more to the way For Honor was originaly imagined by Jason Vanderberghe. A gritty, viceral medieval world rather than the cartoonish meme-land that For Honor has slowly been turning into. It's not enough to turn me off of the game but I did enjoy Jason's vision of For Honor as represented in the betas more than this version of For Honor, which is currently leaning too far in the direction of memes and "for teh lolz" stuff.

It's a shame they've ignored the story mode campaign ever since they were basically forced to put a basic one in to justify the £40 price tag. I want to replay the story mode with the different male/female variants of the main characters and I honestly don't understand why that is not a thing already. It's a basic feature of any story mode to be able to replay it with the different character options. Why have they not enabled this already?

Perhaps the upcoming arena mode will add something to the lore by giving each faction a unique arena. The return of Daubeny for the Knights and all that.

This is a good point.

I don't mind the effects and stuff (I actually quite like a lot of them) but I do feel like the original vision of a "gritty, realistic, medieval world" has definitely been lost in a lot of ways. The game we have now is very different from the one shown in, for instance, this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFUymXnQ5z8

I know it's a CG trailer and therefor not really indicative of gameplay, but they're clearly using a lot of real, in-game assets for it. But look at all the stuff they show off!

- Siege mode, which has been in the Story section since launch and hinted at for ages but still absent from the game.
- Metal samurai armour - Wood is fine and all, but I personally wouldn't mind a bit of iron here and there.
- Properly armoured knights, complete with proper breastplates and tabards instead of the weird piecemeal look most knights have now.
- A proper 3-way conflict, with faction heroes pitted against eachother instead of spread out at random with no real regard for who is who.
- Tight, fast, frantic combat, seemingly based on twitch reactions and high-speed thinking, not the slow-paced parry/feint/gaurdbreak fest we have now.
- A colourful, but still "gritty" world, where the colours aren't so garish but are still present.
- Weapons, armour and environments that look like they could have actually existed once. None of the weird spikes or blades or garish gold ornamentations that are on 90% of the characters now.

Hell, just look at the original model for the Warden:

https://puu.sh/zz0tP/7c136b5a47.png

It's still very clearly the Warden, but they're actually wearing realistic looking armour! With a proper cuirass, matching, evenly sized pauldrons, an elegantly simple longsword! What happened to that model!? Somebody clearly spent a lot of time and effort making it, and by the looks of it, it was once intended to be used as an in-game asset. But now we have... Well, this:

https://puu.sh/zz0FN/fad674eccf.png

Sure, it's still okay looking. But I'd argue it's a lot less visually pleasing than the old model. It's so... Noisy! And what happened to the breastplate!? What even is that, now? A tiny heater shield tied to some brigandine? Brigandine apparently made by somebody who doesn't understand what brigandine is!? And the longsword looks like something out of a LARP store, now, it's so... Big and chunky, where'd the real sword go?

What happened to this version of For Honor? The one that we were originally shown?

I know that hoping to see it ever come back is probably just a pipe dream at this point. But I do feel a shift in direction could really help this game out. For Honor has got one hell of a bad reputation, for a lot of reasons. Maybe a rebrand wouldn't hurt it so much...?

CandleInTheDark
03-02-2018, 05:32 PM
This is a good point.

I don't mind the effects and stuff (I actually quite like a lot of them) but I do feel like the original vision of a "gritty, realistic, medieval world" has definitely been lost in a lot of ways. The game we have now is very different from the one shown in, for instance, this trailer:

I know it's a CG trailer and therefor not really indicative of gameplay, but they're clearly using a lot of real, in-game assets for it. But look at all the stuff they show off!

- Siege mode, which has been in the Story section since launch and hinted at for ages but still absent from the game.
- Metal samurai armour - Wood is fine and all, but I personally wouldn't mind a bit of iron here and there.
- Properly armoured knights, complete with proper breastplates and tabards instead of the weird piecemeal look most knights have now.
- A proper 3-way conflict, with faction heroes pitted against eachother instead of spread out at random with no real regard for who is who.
- Tight, fast, frantic combat, seemingly based on twitch reactions and high-speed thinking, not the slow-paced parry/feint/gaurdbreak fest we have now.
- A colourful, but still "gritty" world, where the colours aren't so garish but are still present.
- Weapons, armour and environments that look like they could have actually existed once. None of the weird spikes or blades or garish gold ornamentations that are on 90% of the characters now.

It's still very clearly the Warden, but they're actually wearing realistic looking armour! With a proper cuirass, matching, evenly sized pauldrons, an elegantly simple longsword! What happened to that model!? Somebody clearly spent a lot of time and effort making it, and by the looks of it, it was once intended to be used as an in-game asset. But now we have... Well, this:

Sure, it's still okay looking. But I'd argue it's a lot less visually pleasing than the old model. It's so... Noisy! And what happened to the breastplate!? What even is that, now? A tiny heater shield tied to some brigandine? Brigandine apparently made by somebody who doesn't understand what brigandine is!? And the longsword looks like something out of a LARP store, now, it's so... Big and chunky, where'd the real sword go?

What happened to this version of For Honor? The one that we were originally shown?

I know that hoping to see it ever come back is probably just a pipe dream at this point. But I do feel a shift in direction could really help this game out. For Honor has got one hell of a bad reputation, for a lot of reasons. Maybe a rebrand wouldn't hurt it so much...?

I think Ari, the last time she was on, explained how badly the world was affected by the cataclysm in their world lore and that while the Lawbringer had the most armour, even that only came to their upper legs. It is possible that the stock images came before they added story (which if I am honest is light on the ground) and decided just how badly the world was screwed up and they made adjustments along the way.

One thing I definitely agree with is we need more actual knights before any other cultural variant, it is why the constant spartan posts both annoy me and make me worry the devs will listen to the volume of demand. There is still a lot they can do with medieval era knights that they should be looking towards doing first..

Devils-_-legacy
03-02-2018, 05:51 PM
I'd be happy if they added more into the story through multiplayer as they neglected story mode they left it on a bit of a cliff hangar

swiss_soldier_1
03-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys. I totally agree. I wanted to make a post like this myself but you did a very good job on explaining the problems. The most blatant one are probabably :

1) Faction war

No f****** faction war. No three factions. Nothing. sure, you get to choose who you represent and then you have an annoying map that flashes every now and then on the screen. That's it. But:

a. you can play with and agaisnt whoever, we all know it. there is no "knight" or "viking" teams, be it for what the players represent as a faction or just as a map locked feature (let's say a map where a team has to choose knight heroes and the other samurais)

b. no 3-way conflict. it was that hard to add a 2v2v2 mode? or 4v4v4? where is this "triple" conflict?

c. no game mode that really makes you feel it's a war. yeah, dominion. a bit.

2) Seriousness of the game and game-atmposhere

Let's start with the basics. Spamming emotes? For sure that's gonna make me feel immersed in a world like the one showed in the trailer posted above. Then, meme-culture? Is ubisoft serious? I already opened a thread about it and people made their comments. I have nothing to add.

This is ubisoft trying to gain new players with fan-service. What they don't understand it's that fan-service not necessarly works as intended. Sure, the loud screamy kids are enjoying all the memes and spamming. What about the people that got attracted to the game by the trailers? Those trailers showed something completely different which is almost fake advertising.

Going back to fan-service, let's take a look at what happened with game of thrones. In recent seasons the producers added some fan-service, thinking the audience would like it. The vast majority of the audience didn't like it and found it stupid and not in line with what was going on in the show and his seriousness. That's because what people brainlessly wish is not what they really want. You want things to keep their shape and just dream about doing stupid stuff. Once you have it, it's just annoying and you don't even care anymore. What the hell. They are developing this game in a direction which is all but serious, completely different from what it was supposed to be at the beginning. A multimilionar company cannot get distracted along the way and lose its original project because they want to attract kids with stupid stuff. The original project was great, players didnt come for all the technical problems. Not because they could not do the salty emote. Please ubisoft wake up and stop targeting 12 years old.

Illyrian_King
03-02-2018, 06:39 PM
I'm a Knight so I'll be speaking from that perspective, but I think similar sentiments can be felt across the board.

Since release, and correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing has been added to the game that contributes to the core values of the three factions. The DLC maps have been really nice, but the DLC heroes were, specifically in the Knights' case, nothing to do with the faction. Gladiator is a showman who's values don't extend beyond glory and fame, and Centurion is leader from a dead empire who's behaviour would get him exiled or executed if practiced in the presence of an actual knight.

My gripes with Romans aside (I actually like the Romans, I just hate that they're knights), the game has gotten nothing that's contributed knightly things to the knight faction. Why? No lore, no characters, no emotes, two executions yes (End Them Rightly and A Moment of Silence), but one is a meme, which is a whole other thing I'll get to, and that's just the Warden. Mind you, the new animations in most cases are excellent and do demonstrate the personalities of the heroes really well, still, nothing particularly knightly, and nothing that links the heroes to the faction or each other.

I hope the success (popularity) of the Test Your Metal mode has made the obvious (evidently not obvious enough) desire in the community for proper PvE content more obvious. The most successful event thus far, if I'm not mistaken. Yet the story mode, lore in general, and dedicated cooperative content have received zero attention since launch. This in particular has been one of those most frustrating parts of following this game over the past year. Pretty much all of my friends won't pick up this game because A) the story mode is an underdeveloped joke and the coop content is nonexistent, and B) because it's Ubisoft and Ubisoft are the devil < this belief is perpetually validated by article one in this list.

Edge Lords. Why? This ties into something the game is doing universally that is bugging me to no end. Everything is skulls, spikes or a chandelier. Why? It's not that I don't think there should be spikes on some armours, or that there shouldn't be that really cool skull embossing. But that's all we're getting. Spikes. Skulls. Most of this stuff out-edges Olly, and she was actually trying to dress like a demon.

Like, what? Is this why the knights never take their helms off?
https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/006/185/068/large/miguel-iglesias-chaosspacemarineportraitstep6.jpg?1496668974

Look at the amazing art in the knight locations. Those statues in The Shard (I think it is), and there's some with angel wings too. I think that stuff looks so much better, and is actually representative of the knights. The faction is about order, loyalty, protection, and noble virtue (Hellfire is cool, but c'mon...where's my proper angelic wings?) Same thing is happening with the masks. Everything we get is either demonic, bloodlust, or a meme. This ties into that other thread I made about the attitude in the executions: your choices are A) Kill them and move on before their body hits the ground, B) Brutalize, humiliate, and laugh at them for half a dozen seconds. Again, I will point out that I'm not complaining that these things are in the game--it's cool they're here, most of this stuff is really cool--I'm complaining that that is all that is in the game.

Oh god the memes. Make them stop. Initially I was able to laugh at it but please don't keep making memes. We're getting actual salt meme emotes...you could be making so much cooler stuff. I don't give a fcuk about "rubbing salt in the wounds" of my enemies. Please grow up. This game is becoming a parody of itself.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/for-honor/images/2/24/Instant_Regrets.gif

http://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltefap6sK41ql9b8ho3_500.gif

Agree on every aspect!

Ubisoft has really accumulated a high "kill streak in bad decisions"

From the lack of Ded Servers for release last year and romans/scotts/etc .... over low character adjustment .... till no deeper and complex game mode like Siege Mode

Okita_Soji..
03-02-2018, 06:39 PM
I said something about the trailer in emote spam thread too. Where is that game and when can I play it? The trailer looks amazing, so gritty and real. I got excited for the game again. No flames, rainbows, hearts... Sure people like that stuff and are buying steel for it but that isn't the game you advertised. It doesn't fit in the story mode either. Won't be long before I see facing Apollyon and she knocks me down with UB hit and does an ice skating emote..

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
03-02-2018, 07:14 PM
What about the people that got attracted to the game by the trailers? Those trailers showed something completely different which is almost fake advertising.

Those people have since long left. Not all but most. This game is trying hard to stay afloat and while I never liked the comical taunts, the spamming is perfectly fine to me.

The community, for whatever reason is a tiny number at this point, so multi-million or whatever, they want to attract new players, you and I only bought the game once. Thats not paying the bills.

The remarks of only children and 12 yr olds is insulting. You have nothing to back that up.

Tirik22x
03-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys. I totally agree. I wanted to make a post like this myself but you did a very good job on explaining the problems. The most blatant one are probabably :

1) Faction war

No f****** faction war. No three factions. Nothing. sure, you get to choose who you represent and then you have an annoying map that flashes every now and then on the screen. That's it. But:

a. you can play with and agaisnt whoever, we all know it. there is no "knight" or "viking" teams, be it for what the players represent as a faction or just as a map locked feature (let's say a map where a team has to choose knight heroes and the other samurais)

b. no 3-way conflict. it was that hard to add a 2v2v2 mode? or 4v4v4? where is this "triple" conflict?

Let's start with the basics. Spamming emotes? For sure that's gonna make me feel immersed in a world like the one showed in the trailer posted above. Then, meme-culture? Is ubisoft serious? I already opened a thread about it and people made their comments. I have nothing to add.

This is ubisoft trying to gain new players with fan-service. What they don't understand it's that fan-service not necessarly works as intended. Sure, the loud screamy kids are enjoying all the memes and spamming. What about the people that got attracted to the game by the trailers? Those trailers showed something completely different which is almost fake advertising.

Going back to fan-service, let's take a look at what happened with game of thrones. In recent seasons the producers added some fan-service, thinking the audience would like it. The vast majority of the audience didn't like it and found it stupid and not in line with what was going on in the show and his seriousness. That's because what people brainlessly wish is not what they really want. You want things to keep their shape and just dream about doing stupid stuff. Once you have it, it's just annoying and you don't even care anymore. What the hell. They are developing this game in a direction which is all but serious, completely different from what it was supposed to be at the beginning. A multimilionar company cannot get distracted along the way and lose its original project because they want to attract kids with stupid stuff. The original project was great, players didnt come for all the technical problems. Not because they could not do the salty emote. Please ubisoft wake up and stop targeting 12 years old.

I said the same thing... this game is/turned into a immature, kid-developed shadow of what sold me on it in the first place.

The emote spamming does it for me the most. I. Can. Not. Stand. It. It literally prohibits immersion.

I’m trying to stay onboard this game bc I know what it COULD be, but I’m realizing that’s not what it’s going to be. Even a moderator confirmed that the devs love the emote spamming, and have no intentions of changing it.

Ok then, I guess some 15 y/o kid spamming rah rah rah rah is more important than your original fan base paying for the game any further.

Makes sense.

Tirik22x
03-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Those people have since long left. Not all but most. This game is trying hard to stay afloat and while I never liked the comical taunts, the spamming is perfectly fine to me.

The community, for whatever reason is a tiny number at this point, so multi-million or whatever, they want to attract new players, you and I only bought the game once. Thats not paying the bills.

The remarks of only children and 12 yr olds is insulting. You have nothing to back that up.

Lol! Nothing to back that up...

That’s like saying that Cartoon Network has nothing to backup the fact that it’s intended for adolescents.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
03-02-2018, 07:24 PM
I said the same thing... this game is/turned into a immature, kid-developed shadow of what sold me on it in the first place.

The emote spamming does it for me the most. I. Can. Not. Stand. It. It literally prohibits immersion.

I’m trying to stay onboard this game bc I know what it COULD be, but I’m realizing that’s not what it’s going to be. Even a moderator confirmed that the devs love the emote spamming, and have no intentions of changing it.

Ok then, I guess some 15 y/o kid spamming rah rah rah rah is more important than your original fan base paying for the game any further.

Makes sense.

I dont understand how anyone can speak of "immersion" when the characters do moves that make them glow and perform feats no man could. They glow like Super Saiyans when they block enough. One heals herself. Another become a virtual tank and can not be moved by ax, sword or shield. This is in no way a historically accurate game. You want that type of realism? Go play Deliverance.

And as I said above you and I only bought the game once. The original base isnt keeping the lights on.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
03-02-2018, 07:28 PM
Lol! Nothing to back that up...

That’s like saying that Cartoon Network has nothing to backup the fact that it’s intended for adolescents.

Its a logical statement to make. All youre making are assumption on whos buying them and who actually likes them. I see many YouTube videos made by grown men that love the additions. As well as myself and the 5 or 6 people I play with. Some dislike the funny ones, some love the light heart feeling they bring to an otherwise serious game. You want it to be only "children" that like spamming taunts, when thats not the case.

Tirik22x
03-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Its a logical statement to make. All youre making are assumption on whos buying them and who actually likes them. I see many YouTube videos made by grown men that love the additions. As well as myself and the 5 or 6 people I play with. Some dislike the funny ones, some love the light heart feeling they bring to an otherwise serious game. You want it to be only "children" that like spamming taunts, when thats not the case.

K.

Veerdin-Wraith
03-02-2018, 07:45 PM
I should clarify: I don't mind a bit of light-hearted comedy, I don't mind emote spam, or anything like that. But in terms of actual gameplay and overall aesthetics? I do feel the game has shifted a lot from its original inception, and I do mourn for the game that could have been...

That said, there are certain things you could do to the existing For Honor to make it feel more like the game we see in that trailer:

1) Introduce more armour types - This has been a long time running, honestly. And when I say more armour, I don't mean more spikes/blades/gold bits, I mean new designs.
2) Let all three factions use metal armour, at least as an option. Wooden armour may have existed once upon a time in Japan, but they stopped using it and started using metal pretty quick.
3) Less garish, over-designed weapons, more weapon designs that are based on real life examples: Seriously, there are hundreds of different kinds of real weapon variations from history.
4) More muted colours and more subtle patterns. Try to reduce the amount of times I get slashed to death by some dual-wielding samurai with a neon green belt and bright orange pants.
5) Less "effects", or at least more subtle ones. Do we need our weapons to glow blue every time we use a chain attack? Do the unblockable effects need to be fire and white-hot metal? Ect...

Perhaps a separate set of game modes could be made where these effects are implemented, so that players can decide what they want? I don't know. It'd be a pretty major shift in aesthetics.

swiss_soldier_1
03-02-2018, 07:48 PM
I dont understand how anyone can speak of "immersion" when the characters do moves that make them glow and perform feats no man could. They glow like Super Saiyans when they block enough. One heals herself. Another become a virtual tank and can not be moved by ax, sword or shield. This is in no way a historically accurate game. You want that type of realism? Go play Deliverance.

And as I said above you and I only bought the game once. The original base isnt keeping the lights on.

that's why i had also opened a thread suggesting to give us the possibility to hide ALL the stupid graphic effects (that are present in every ubisoft game)

i mean, there are the zone lines in the intro videos in some maps (like forge).... really?

and i agree with the guy who said that it's ridicolous that a moderator "confessed" that even the developers like the spamming... they created an emote for shaman that if spammed IT DABS...
are you f****** serious? i saw different things in the trailers and the early gameplay.
a little bit of sillyness is fine and even adds something, but when i play a game in for honor i only see rainbows and hearths and stupid emotes and spamming here and there. again, i saw a different game in the trailers

i mean look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSpAz3h_Gh8

.... kind of different isn't it?

they practically stole my money and made me play barbie killing ken decapitating him and then dancing and drinking on it

great job ubisoft, you ruined what could have been my favourite ever multiplayer game

Tirik22x
03-02-2018, 09:34 PM
that's why i had also opened a thread suggesting to give us the possibility to hide ALL the stupid graphic effects (that are present in every ubisoft game)

i mean, there are the zone lines in the intro videos in some maps (like forge).... really?

and i agree with the guy who said that it's ridicolous that a moderator "confessed" that even the developers like the spamming... they created an emote for shaman that if spammed IT DABS...
are you f****** serious? i saw different things in the trailers and the early gameplay.
a little bit of sillyness is fine and even adds something, but when i play a game in for honor i only see rainbows and hearths and stupid emotes and spamming here and there. again, i saw a different game in the trailers

i mean look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSpAz3h_Gh8

.... kind of different isn't it?

they practically stole my money and made me play barbie killing ken decapitating him and then dancing and drinking on it

great job ubisoft, you ruined what could have been my favourite ever multiplayer game

That trailer is so bad@ss...

But to make it represent the game, they should’ve had the conqueror in the 2nd scene just butt fcking the air, screaming “rah, rah, rah, rah!”

Archeun
03-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Ubisoft does not care about casuals. They care about the "Elites" and Git Gud crowd. This game could have been a massive success but the gameplay, broken networking issues (which are still happening), unbalanced characters and changing most of the characters into unblockable, centurion, clones has ruined the game. The game is basically a feinting, unblockable, gankfest. They refuse to make 1v1 viable in terms of Steel and Exp. They hide the majority of content behind a paywall. They can deny it but it's the simple fact. Instead of fixing the games mechanics, they pump out emotes and costumes. The game is a shell of what it could have been. Season 5 dropped and a massive influx of people occurred. It's already dying down again. The game isn't fun. People don't wan to play against unbalanced ridiculous cheese chars like Shaman. People don't want to constantly get 3 on 1. The best advice I can give is you what i did. Step away from the game. Play it once or twice a week and you will remember why you quit in the first place.

brashtralas
03-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Ubisoft does not care about casuals. They care about the "Elites" and Git Gud crowd. This game could have been a massive success but the gameplay, broken networking issues (which are still happening), unbalanced characters and changing most of the characters into unblockable, centurion, clones has ruined the game. The game is basically a feinting, unblockable, gankfest. They refuse to make 1v1 viable in terms of Steel and Exp. They hide the majority of content behind a paywall. They can deny it but it's the simple fact. Instead of fixing the games mechanics, they pump out emotes and costumes. The game is a shell of what it could have been. Season 5 dropped and a massive influx of people occurred. It's already dying down again. The game isn't fun. People don't wan to play against unbalanced ridiculous cheese chars like Shaman. People don't want to constantly get 3 on 1. The best advice I can give is you what i did. Step away from the game. Play it once or twice a week and you will remember why you quit in the first place.

I agree, unfortunately. More unblockables was not the solution, in my opinion.

As a side note, I frequent these forums all too often, and I’ve noticed that a lot of regulars that advocated for the very changes we’ve received in season 5 has become either conspicuously absent from the forums, or have actually begun posting dissenting opinion threads.

Maybe just my imagination, who knows?

Either way, increasing attack speeds and adding unblockables was not the solution to the problems plaguing the game, in my opinion. They should have added more tactical and strategic depth.

Illyrian_King
03-03-2018, 12:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8c0xZXoyTY

I really can't understand why the devs didn't keep this concept ;b

I know this was just motion captured and engine rendered, but Ubi could also have programmed the whole game in this direction with only 3 Heroes with different weapon sets, lots of armor variations, not so tiny minion, this atmosphaer, etc

It looks so much better then this flashy stuff we have now!

bob333e
03-07-2018, 11:59 AM
As the old Japanese saying goes:

"For want of a nail, the horseshoe was lost. For want of a horseshoe, the horse was lost. For want of a horse, the message was not delivered. For want of an undelivered message, the war was lost".

It's the little things that matter the most. And it's the little things, that are being ignored, and ruined, the most in For Honor. And they keep piling up.

I agree with you. Couldn't have summarized it better myself.

Ulrichvonbek111
03-07-2018, 07:46 PM

1) Faction war

This is exactly how so many mature feel about the garish direction the Dev's have taken this game.
Not one game goes by that isn't full of emotes being spammed to the extent that it all becomes ridiculous.
Rainbows,,,Fireworks,,, what it's endless.
Spikes and skulls,,,,again endless.
Garish dayglo colours,,,,becoming a pattern,endless.

During one game in particular yesterday there was someone who was using Highlander constantly spamming an emote that was linked to the fireworks effect without even taking part in the fight (Dominion) only for his team to face defeat.
This has now become so ridiculous that you know before you load the game that you may close it with a sore head.

Yes many saw the beautiful game that was in the trailers and this indeed was delivered..What is sad is that now we are so so far from the concept of what should've been.
Yes we have dedicated servers,though even with them installed the game and what it has become doesn't get that more tolerable due to the spam fests,,garish colours and 4 v 1's where 4 destroy 1 and they spam like mad over the broken body....Wow.
Honour.

Devils-_-legacy
03-07-2018, 08:28 PM
I'll agree house champion effect has to be one of the most annoying I've come across

Jazz117Volkov
03-09-2018, 10:38 AM
This is a good point.

While I agree with several of your points, I think it's worth pointing out that the turnaround of the Warden is a 3D model for that trailer, which was outsourced. Those are not game assets and never were.

This, however, is in-game (pre-release), and has significantly higher graphical quality than the release build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3NKQlJPuo

I'm not going to go on a rant about it though; the release version is visually downgraded, and that isn't something that should happen. If the game can't meet the demo footage, downgrade the demo footage. It just isn't fair to the consumer.