PDA

View Full Version : Idea for mods about fighting the forum spam

The_B0G_
02-27-2018, 10:02 PM
Have you guys thought about making a rule that you need to reply to 5 or 10 threads before you can make your own? I know other forums that have done this. Or do you think that the spammers would just spam inside threads instead?

UbiInsulin
02-27-2018, 10:30 PM
I have seen spammers reply to threads, but I still think this is a great suggestion that I have seen implemented elsewhere.

We're aware the problem has been bad today and are working to clean things up.

The_B0G_
02-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Yeah I realize you guys can't be on here 24/7 to constantly remove them, it doesn't really bother me that much personally. Just figured I'd share that.

DoctorMcBatman
02-27-2018, 10:51 PM
The forum administrators (corporate Ubi) don't care about the spam. Something about fearing how a slight security protocol update would affect forum registrations. Just another business vs. best for the community decision, made the wrong way.

BTW: Not making this up. A mod literally said this some months ago. And there really aren't too many logical explanations for rampant spam that's been going on for YEARS.

The_B0G_
02-27-2018, 10:58 PM
They actually said that putting in security protocols wouldn't help stop all the spam because its not only automated bots/programs that post, humans are posting spam in the forum as well, so even if they did make all forum users jump through hoops every time they made a post it wouldn't completely solve the problem.

Its far from a one thing fixes all issue.

DoctorMcBatman
02-27-2018, 11:03 PM
They actually said that putting in security protocols wouldn't help stop all the spam because its not only automated bots/programs that post, humans are posting spam in the forum as well, so even if they did make all forum users jump through hoops every time they made a post it wouldn't completely solve the problem.

Its far from a one thing fixes all issue.

I didn't see that comment, and I still think a slight bump in security protocol would mitigate a lot, if not all, of the spam.

The_B0G_
02-27-2018, 11:07 PM
I didn't see that comment, and I still think a slight bump in security protocol would mitigate a lot, if not all, of the spam.

True, there is probably more that could be done, but there's no guarantee the a**holes putting all the spam on here wouldn't find a way around it in a couple days.