PDA

View Full Version : About refine-able gear.

Alustar.
02-26-2018, 03:49 PM
For those that aren't sure what to look for still, I find my first piece of refined gear. The diamond appears on the gear level icon. It's easy to miss of you aren't paying attention, so be sure to check all your pieces carefully, I'm sure I might have missed a few pieces till I noticed this.

SEISMIS21
02-26-2018, 04:55 PM
For those that aren't sure what to look for still, I find my first piece of refined gear. The diamond appears on the gear level icon. It's easy to miss of you aren't paying attention, so be sure to check all your pieces carefully, I'm sure I might have missed a few pieces till I noticed this.

Also, for the heavy cost this heat requires to refine, the benefit should be way more than it is. Just saying

Alustar.
02-26-2018, 05:08 PM
Also, for the heavy cost this heat requires to refine, the benefit should be way more than it is. Just saying

I haven't checked on that yet, the pieces I've found don't line up with the stats I'm working on.

bob333e
02-26-2018, 05:11 PM
I have a refined blade; the bonuses are 0.2% up from level 30. For 800 Steel and 1,000 Salvage. I'm keeping this blade, but it's the only thing I'll ever refine. Thought of trying the refine thing once, yeah, not doing it again at all. You don't even get any sort of secret visual upgrade or something. Not even an aura of some sort. Just a tiny, microscropic yellow glow on the gear stat screen suggesting this item is "refined".

It's absolutely not worth anything.

Tyrjo
02-26-2018, 07:18 PM
I'm not refining anything. It's too costly to spend hard earned steel on.

bob333e
02-26-2018, 08:10 PM
I'm not refining anything. It's too costly to spend hard earned steel on.

Yeah don't. I didn't mind throwing today's daily orders and 1,000 Salvage on a test, since I'm done buying things for Warden for now (fcuking finally after nearly 4 months of daily farming for Warden alone). But it's definitely a waste and I won't be doing it again.

Alustar.
02-26-2018, 08:22 PM
If no one has invested into it fully yet, I'll give it a shot. I'd like to see the benefits of a full set just for arguments sake.
Though I do agree, they did suggest that refined great would have a clear bonus so that would be incentive for the cost.

bob333e
02-26-2018, 08:24 PM
If no one has invested into it fully yet, I'll give it a shot. I'd like to see the benefits of a full set just for arguments sake.
Though I do agree, they did suggest that refined great would have a clear bonus so that would be incentive for the cost.

I caught some vids on youtube, people refining everything they have equipped. They might help you in deciding, if you want to avoid a regret scenario.

Tirik22x
02-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Here... https://youtu.be/eOYErnEbMeo

UbiInsulin
02-26-2018, 08:37 PM

I'll let the team know that the benefit could be greater in proportion to the cost. Feel free to suggest any tweaks that would make the investment more appealing.

Alustar.
02-26-2018, 08:47 PM
I caught some vids on youtube, people refining everything they have equipped. They might help you in deciding, if you want to avoid a regret scenario.

I'll let the team know that the benefit could be greater in proportion to the cost. Feel free to suggest any tweaks that would make the investment more appealing.

these both go hand in hand, my gear load outs are tailored and another person's opinion is not really the best way to approach making my own decisions.
I'd like to provide my own feedback, not just parroting a YouTube video.
Also I really don't think there would be much regret, it's just a game after all.

bob333e
02-26-2018, 08:51 PM

For the weapon, a faint aura around the blade part (or axe head part) of the weapon, that adopts whatever effect we have equipped under "idle", but it stays on at all times, during movement and combat too. And it would render a more "sharpened" illusion on the edges of the blade / axe head.

For the armor, similar concept, and is a bit more focused on the hands/arms and head/eyes. Very faint and non-intrusive. Stays on at all times. Adopts the color theme of whatever effect is applied on "idle".

This doesn't require new models from the design team, should be pretty easy to implement, with maybe slight texture variations. and I'd absolutely love that. And it wouldn't provide an unfair stat boost, it's a visual upgrade / reward.

It also stays on in any mode, even duel. It doesn't need to be a 4v4 mode with gear stats enabled for it to show.

It could also be taken to a more advanced mechanic later on where ranks would play an effectively useful role. The player's rank would enhance this aura the higher the rank is. That could see some tangible use for ranks outside the ranked mode (well even in ranked mode ranks mean nothing other than a badge display).

Thanks for listening.

bob333e
02-26-2018, 08:54 PM
I'd like to provide my own feedback, not just parroting a YouTube video.
Also I really don't think there would be much regret, it's just a game after all.

I specifically said might help you deciding, of course no one suggested to parrot a youtuber. Just to see the effects before you invest in them. And the regret part isn't about it being a videogame. It's about what if you decide on an outfit or something later on but you wasted like 5,000 Steel (at least) on refines, and another 5,000 for upgrading the newly-looted diamond-iconed gear. And you found yourself having to re-farm that Steel. Of course this argument is negated if you spend lunch money on Steel Packs. To each his own.

I watched a couple vids but yet went and did a refine myself. Wanted to test it myself. Saw no difference that justifies 800 Steel a piece. Hence my input: it's not worth anything.

ChampionRuby50g
02-26-2018, 11:01 PM
I really like Fadys above suggestions on the refined gear.

Also thanks for sharing Alustar, I had no idea what I was looking for when I commented the other day I hadnít found any. When I realised what it was I felt like a goose aha.

Iíve refined 3 pieces on my LB, and yeah the cost is a joke. Especially when we donít get anything visual for it. Wasnít one of the selling points that itís something high level players would want to make their hero stand out? Iím going to fully refine my LB eventually with your Alustar, to gage if thereís a difference. Once I save up for a few weeks that is lol.

SEISMIS21
02-26-2018, 11:45 PM

Thanks UbiInsulin-

So I totally get the dev teams dilemma here. You don't want to give those further along into playing the game an unfair advantage against the new players. While I personally did refine all of my gear for my rep 40 kensei, it was more because I wanted the diamond lol, and not because I saw an improvement.

I think the best answer to the dilemma on the devs end (stay as fair as possible) and on the players end (why pay such a huge cost for basically no gain) comes from a combo of a solution of the two points.

First, as for staying fair, maybe create a toggle on certain game modes to either allow or remove gear score. Make it a parameter to the matchmaking process so only those who want gear score applied face those that also want it applied. Maybe just accept that experience matters more than anything and the best way to keep a large body of users motivated to continue leveling a character past 7 is to provide some sort of incentive (just like a level 3 player wanting to get to 5 or 7 to improve gear.) along with the last idea I would personally argue that gear matters more to me than any aesthetic. Meaning whether it is the appearance of that gear, emotes, or executions, I would put the capabilities of the gear I have equipped above all of that. So I think maintaining the drive to improve gear (valuably improve gear as that relates to the inherent cost) is the best motivator to continue repping a character ( except for dominating souls I suppose.) one final idea to maintain fairness while items improve or equips improve as experience is gained is to allow players themselves to chose which of the three criteria, the 6 equipment types carry, theft any to improve. At each level, 1-30 you get a set credit that can be applied to one or two of the three criteria, therein allowing you to improve the most important to you first, and also keeping the gap of new to old a little less severe as a new player can impact their most important criteria first. (as a side benefit, I believe any improvement in player game interaction is a worthy endeavor. That last thought, though monumental in its effort from the dev team, would provide a more personalized and uniquely independent experience for each player.)

For the second topic, I think refined gear should impact the scores depending on the configuration of positive/negative attributes. For example, say player g has chosen a blade that has completely positive attack, and completely negative block damage with defense penetration as mostly negative (and this would apply to any combo on any gear item of this layout), refining the gear should bring the mostly negative component (def pen) up by a base of 10% the current value (if negative 38% then +3.8)and the completely negative (block dam) up by 20% (if negative 24 then +4.8). If a player has chosen the all positive gear attributes (where they are all positive just not super positive) refining should improve them all by an equal 10% across the board, and that is 10% of current values. Basically I think it shouldn't effect the most positive in an attribute set where they aren't all the same, and should benefit the most negative by more than the secondary negative, but this improvement has to be more than 0.2% when you get way more for the far cheaper normal gear upgrades.

Since I have your attention UbiInsulin. I want to say I love the game, I love fighting and the incredible work the dev team has put in. I have used Kensei as my main since launch and wouldn't have changed even if there was never any rework/buff.. With all that said, I want to submit my vote that the effort on reworked for every character should always be to bring the worst characters up to the speed of the best. Currently the best are Shaman and Gladiator and maybe S5 conqueror. S5Kensei is probably A Tier, so is Peace Keeper (though she deserves more moves), Aramusha (especially after the last buff), S5 beserker, LawBringer S5 Highlanderand warlord. b tier is Warden, Raider, Shinobi, s5 Nobushi, Centurion (he needs a rework that removes the cut scene and makes him a normal character lol) and shugoki. while c tier is orochi and Valkyrie. I would personally prefer the entire cast to be S tier, not A tier but S. That's just me, but feeling like your character is a boss and then when you add your skill he is unstoppable, that's what balance is, not feeling like your character was good and now he got nerfed to match the crappy ones.

So I think you guys have done great with that I just wanted to add my thoughts. I am no super pro, but as a rep 40 Kensei my KDA is 5.1 for deathmatch and 4.2 for objective under the same gamer tag seen here (SEISMIS21 only ever PVP no AI). I say that to intimate I was never in need of a better Kensei to enjoy this game, and I will continue enjoying it regardless of the character buffs/nerfs, hopefully that offers some more context on where my comments come from.

Alustar.
02-27-2018, 04:47 AM
I am inclined to say I would not even be the slightest bit upset if ALL it did was give an effect that got bolder and more impressive/came with added execution effects the further you refined it.
My gear stats are fine the way they are and any further tweaking would only cause more disparity.

The mental effect gear like this has would alone be enough of a bonus!

Hormly
02-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Refining should be linked to advanced customization options. Not making your sword .02% stronger.

This is so bad i actually enjoyed it for the laughs 😄😄