PDA

View Full Version : My fight-style: Berserker

Tirik22x
02-26-2018, 03:29 PM
I really only play berserker, but I have a relatively unique fight style compared to what Iíve encountered with other Berserkers; I almost never block, but instead sidestep/dodge.

I do fairly well against the current tier of players I face, so my question is this; is this a viable style against top-tier fighters? Or will I need to adjust entirely?

Looking for experienced fighter feedback.

Thanks in advance!

bob333e
02-26-2018, 03:34 PM
You'll definitely need a better parrying game, and to be able to deflect like it's a walk in the park. When you can do both of those with ease, blocking becomes second-hand. Blocking becomes like climbing stairs. Little effort invested.

As an assassin-class, your top priority should be deflects, imo.

Tirik22x
02-26-2018, 04:22 PM
You'll definitely need a better parrying game, and to be able to deflect like it's a walk in the park. When you can do both of those with ease, blocking becomes second-hand. Blocking becomes like climbing stairs. Little effort invested.

As an assassin-class, your top priority should be deflects, imo.

I deflect all the time. So I should be ok guess. We shall see! Gotta work on my party game a bit tho.

Vrbas1
02-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Best defense is a strong offense. The way I play zerk is through relentless offense, I usually don't have to worry about defense if I keep pressure up.

I don't do the feint game so my stamina can hold up to my play style (just infinite combo, bear m, top heavy, and dodge cancel mixup) . I also feel like a cheese ball if I feint every attack like most zerks do. So far this style works for me quite well if you'd like to give it a try.

Tirik22x
02-26-2018, 04:40 PM
Best defense is a strong offense. The way I play zerk is through relentless offense, I usually don't have to worry about defense if I keep pressure up.

I don't do the feint game so my stamina can hold up to my play style (just infinite combo, bear m, top heavy, and dodge cancel mixup) . I also feel like a cheese ball if I feint every attack like most zerks do. So far this style works for me quite well if you'd like to give it a try.

Iím very similar; I donít play defensively... itís not how zerker was meant to play!

Inherently, I have a rough time against other Berserkers who play similarly lol

I cannot stand players who ONLY counter as a Berserker. Itís corny as hell.

Kamen42
02-26-2018, 09:38 PM

I agree that zerker is best when he is the one on offense, but I don't understand how can you be successful if you don't use feints.

Honestly I have no idea how that keeps working for you. I am a rep 11 zerk and I feel like you can't do without feints.

If I try a non-feint game it is extremely difficult to deal damage.

Infinite combo? Second attack usually gets blocked (if light) or parried (if heavy).
Bear Mauler? First or second attack gets parried.
Top heavy? Parried or dodged.
Dodge cancel mix-up? Technically this IS a feint. But most people already expect it and it is very difficult to open with this.

Basically all sources of damage in this playstyle are parry punishes and GBs. Everything else is countered by the opponent.

I am not saying that you should feint everything. I am just saying that without feints (or when rarely using them) zerk is a very easy target.

High-Horse
02-26-2018, 09:47 PM
Zerk has been about feints from the beginning and the rework validates this idea. I love the feint game but it still doesn't make a good opener against those dedicated to blocking and parrying everything.

Vrbas1
02-26-2018, 10:20 PM
I agree that zerker is best when he is the one on offense, but I don't understand how can you be successful if you don't use feints.

Honestly I have no idea how that keeps working for you. I am a rep 11 zerk and I feel like you can't do without feints.

If I try a non-feint game it is extremely difficult to deal damage.

Infinite combo? Second attack usually gets blocked (if light) or parried (if heavy).
Bear Mauler? First or second attack gets parried.
Top heavy? Parried or dodged.
Dodge cancel mix-up? Technically this IS a feint. But most people already expect it and it is very difficult to open with this.

Basically all sources of damage in this playstyle are parry punishes and GBs. Everything else is countered by the opponent.

I am not saying that you should feint everything. I am just saying that without feints (or when rarely using them) zerk is a very easy target.

Alot of zerks alternate their infinite combo to the opposite side too much. I like to throw people off by hitting the same side over and over. Throw in a top here and there and every once and a while switch sides. Catches a lot of people off guard because they're ready for R after L and vice versa.

Also, I throw his zone in a lot during my offense cause you can go right into your chain after.

I feint, just not to the spaz-happy degree everyone else does. Consequently, I have more stamina to play with.

Kamen42
02-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Alot of zerks alternate their infinite combo to the opposite side too much. I like to throw people off by hitting the same side over and over. Throw in a top here and there and every once and a while switch sides. Catches a lot of people off guard because they're ready for R after L and vice versa.

Also, I throw his zone in a lot during my offense cause you can go right into your chain after.

I feint, just not to the spaz-happy degree everyone else does. Consequently, I have more stamina to play with.

Zone into chain is a good move. It sometimes catches the opponent off-guard, but attacking from the same side... What platform are you on? Because on PC this is not a viable style. It gets shut down immediately.

Tirik22x
02-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Iím on Xbox. But idk, I seem to have decent success with my chains. I use top light often with great success bc most ppl expect L or R. Idk, maybe Iím just lucky...

I do however have terrible trouble defending. Idk what it is, but I know I react in time, but it still hits me in the face lol

The_B0G_
02-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Lol I used to have a very aggressive fight style with Kensei when I played him before his rework as well, only feint once in a while, lots of last second dodge attacks and the odd GB, hardly ever parry or block, people I played with would always wonder how the hell I wasn't getting parried all the time when they would watch me while their spawn timer was counting down.

I think it has to do with people being so used to characters fighting a certain way, that when you don't fight like that they are thrown off and unsuspecting of straight forward attacks.

Jiblet2017
02-28-2018, 05:40 AM
I really only play berserker, but I have a relatively unique fight style compared to what Iíve encountered with other Berserkers; I almost never block, but instead sidestep/dodge.

I do fairly well against the current tier of players I face, so my question is this; is this a viable style against top-tier fighters? Or will I need to adjust entirely?

Looking for experienced fighter feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Dodge and dodge attacks are certainly a strong mechanic on zero. However, as you play against stronger players, they will have no problem baiting dodges and punishing with a gb/horizontal attack or parry (on dodge attacks).

Usually, the best strategy is to use a variety of offenses and defenses to keep your opponent guessing - making yourself less predictable and therefore harder to reliably punish.

I just recently started playing zerker seriously and can't believe how powerful his feint game is with proper stamina management. He is an absolute blast to play and is quickly becoming my highest winrate character. Some people on here will say "400 ms lights are easy to block/parry" but even skor will get tagged by an unpredictable feint light mixup relatively often, so I would say it is by no means easy against an unpredictable zerk.