PDA

View Full Version : Concerns and suggestion for the BGE 2

Arkblazer
02-25-2018, 09:47 AM
I really am hopeful for the game and what you have shown so far is exciting although im a little worried that the narrative might suffer in this sequel.
the developers seem to be open to suggestions by fans and back in cd project red i was really happy with how receptive they were and open to criticism so i really hope i dont get flamed or banned.

see in the original, one of its great strenghts was its solid characterization, setting and plot.
yet when developers make this large open worlds games like say skyrim it is the narrative that suffers the most in liue of freedom and exploration

also because this world or better said solar system will be explorable another concern is that it will become rather bland and generic akin to no mans sky.i really hope that you guys make the cities and regions distinctive and fun to explore, with activities to do and not be empty cities that you just zip by in your space ship.

going to my first concern i hope that to some degree you focus the narrative with an actual character and not a character created cardboard cut out. Like Jade for example
in games with open world that tends to help a bit like witcher 3 or xenoblades chronicles.

if you do go with the path of player created characters i hope you put certain limits to help the narrative.

for example say that you can create a character but make it so that it has to be a slave hybrid. in the start of the game it starts with you being the company who is choosing the hybrid to create and you chose the animal hybrid, the enslavement role he will have, traits etc. then you start to a tutorial of him as a baby followed by a prologue storyline of him being a slave and being mistreated showing the horrors and hybrids go through.

you could make it like dragon age origins where depending on the role that the hybrid is chosen to be the prologue will be unique . if a prostitute you get to see yourself be exploited and abused by a pimp, if a miner the brutal conditions your work on. if a coliseum fighter the horrors of being gladiator etc until eventually the pirate crew from the trailer help you one way or another and you join them. what would be important is that you are part of the crew with well fleshed characters around you.

KIERROK
02-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Skyrim is a bad example, and Bethesda's always had few hour main story. It's not because of open world. Bethesda leaves it to modders to make up their story. So blame goes to pampering modders. Also, Bethesda's Fallout and Elder Scrolls aren't driven by story, but exploration. There's things to this day I am discovering in Skyrim. Cave systems that I literally spent 4 hours in side. That's 3/4 the main story, which is like 5 or 6 hours long. Assassin's Creed: Origin doesn't stuffer from story/open world, and that game is BEAUTIFUL!

Arkblazer
02-26-2018, 06:57 AM
true to a degree but Most if not all AC games have taliored made characters the only real example of an open world that didnt have tailored made main characters that i can think and had a decent story are Fallout 4 and F New Vegas. on fallout 4 it had its set limits like i suggested, as the story ceters on a parent looking for its child, in NV the MC was lacking to say the least but still to a lesser degree had is limits as he was a courierbut ,pre importantly revolved around interesting characters that you meet as you explore.

CulturalLemur
03-05-2018, 07:46 PM
I suppose this counts as a suggestion :) Yes, I know that at this point of development adding that kind of relationship into the script is out of the question, but I really wanted to share this.

https://i.imgur.com/KVuGCJn.png

TheSoulman101
03-06-2018, 01:12 AM
I'd love for some kinda photo mode for BGAE2 with posing features. It would be one of the best ways of showing of your custom characters to other players/friends.