PDA

View Full Version : Field Sizes

Erulastannen
02-24-2018, 08:30 PM
During Anno 1602, 1503, and 1701 Farm fields were always 1x1. When Anno 1404 came along the farm fields had to be built in modules. This has always been a point of contention with me. I donít feel like having farm fields adds anything but frustration to the game when you canít build the fourth, 3x4 hemp field you need because your missing one tile. Then you have to demolish something or move the farm entirely just because of that one tile. Letís not even mention how hard it was to build the Gene farming tube things needed to make immunity drugs in Anno 2070. I would really like to see you revert to the 1x1 farm fields, and/or add extra radius to the farms to make farms look and feel more natural.

AgmasGold
02-24-2018, 09:30 PM
I think the farm fields added an extra layer of strategy, but yes, some of the farms in 2070 could be very frustrating to fit together.

So far nothing has been confirmed.

ruuti0
02-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Some like field sizes like they were in 2070 for example (like I personally do) and some liked more 1x1 sizes.

I liked bigger and different field sizes because it bring new aspect of skill to game, for example in multiplayer games, who can foresee how to build production buildings and their fields save time and he can focus to other things faster than a guy who have to rebuild them.

I also understand this is annoying for some players, but also if there isn't any challenge placing them, some people might find that also as annoying.

stylisticsagi
02-27-2018, 12:23 PM
I think there could be a balance in this.
Or you bring back the 1x1 field froms all the older anno series (but place make them square)
Or keep the fields but make the farm's influence area much wider so you can place them more easily. The most annoying part about fields apart from just not being able to fit in was the fact that it was just outside the farm's influence range.

Steinhauzer
03-02-2018, 11:31 PM
I agree with stylisticsagi's latter suggestion. Keep the different field sizes, but increase the range a bit, especially for those particularly troublesome farms.

iruet
03-03-2018, 04:18 PM
I agree with stylisticsagi's latter suggestion. Keep the different field sizes, but increase the range a bit, especially for those particularly troublesome farms.

I think that removes the point of the affected area completely... Eventhough... people always want more space, next what happens is that you can build fields on other islands... that is not my idea of anno :)

AgmasGold
03-03-2018, 04:27 PM
As has been mentioned previously in this thread, it can be annoying, but it does add some extra strategy, and forces to people be efficient with the placement of fields.

iruet
03-03-2018, 05:04 PM
As has been mentioned previously in this thread, it can be annoying, but it does add some extra strategy, and forces to be efficient with the placement of fields.

The strategy part is the most interesting part, so pls don't demolish it that way...

Steinhauzer
03-04-2018, 01:13 PM
I do not think the range of the building should be such a big limiting factor when placing the farms, since we already have to contend with both the limited total size of the island and the varying field sizes, as well as the range and connections to the nearest market building. Also, historically farmers would often have to walk quite far to reach their fields, so I think it fits the setting.

If increasing the placement range of farms seems like too big a reduction in strategy, then replace it with another demand. For example, you could add the need for the farmer to actually walk to their fields as in Anno 1602. This way, although you would be able to place farms relatively far away, you would be punished for doing so as the farmer would have to walk farther, wasting time and reducing building efficiency.

AgmasGold
03-04-2018, 03:19 PM
I can see how that would balance out things, maybe having 2 set boundaries - for any fields you don't manage to squeeze into the primary, smaller area, the building suffers an efficiency penalty on those fields.

The main problem I can see with this though is that it could make the screen look very cluttered, it could be confusing to understand why your farm has 2 different areas for placing fields in.

stylisticsagi
03-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Or let farms be farms and let the farmers work it out.
The farms of tropico have such a system where farmers will just go look for empty space to place their crops.

iruet
03-05-2018, 12:14 AM
Or let farms be farms and let the farmers work it out.
The farms of tropico have such a system where farmers will just go look for empty space to place their crops.

That requires empty place and u gotta make that... that makes it exploitable in my opinion

I would love different sized fields, since that makes the game more realistic, but I also feel like this will make the game less fun to play.... so it is kinda both ways for me

stylisticsagi
03-06-2018, 05:18 PM
not really it would make farms again like 1602 and 1503.
The only diffrence would be that instead of you placing the crops, the farmers would.
Then the basic pfysics apply, where one crop stands another one cannot.
WE often see in every anno games the bets builds to make factory farms cities etc etc but if farmers would place there own crops farms would always look a bit diffrent.
It can be even better odne if they can also grow crops on places where you normally cannot build, slopes and beginnings of mountains, river banks etc...

This can make a much much more interesting farm placement.

GameMasterFox
04-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Personally, I would like to see a 'zoning' style farm system. You build a farm and you 'zone' the land you want for each good. So you see something out of the city-builder game Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom in a way where farms have various crops to keep them busy over the 'year'. If you get some sort of farm mechanization, then you can effectively expand how much you can zone with a farm.