PDA

View Full Version : Anno 1800 - Varying Consumption Rates and Demand Suggestion

GnaReffotsirk
02-24-2018, 02:09 PM
The idea is to randomly vary the amount of goods consumed by certain houses per tier, and as each tier progress to higher tiers, their demand for goods would also change in terms of their consumption rate for certain lower tier goods.

How it works:

1. Average consumption instead of fixed number -- A certain tier of houses will no longer consume a fixed amount of goods but will slightly go up or down per certain amount of time.

Example: Fish for tier 1 houses will consume 2 fish over 1 minute of game in the first 10 minutes, then would become either 1 or 2 on the next.

(in addition, the amount of time before the change occurs could be random as well.)

2. If certain goods are still consumed by houses, goods that belong to a tier lower than their current tier, their consumption average of this good would be lower than when the house was in that tier.

Example: Fish average is 1-3 for tier one houses, 1-2 for tier two houses, 0-1 for tier 3 houses.

(in addition, the amount of goods consumed can be affected by the amount of available goods, if for example a certain tier consumes multiple types of goods for a certain need. Eg. Food as Fish and Meat.)

3. Taxation changes the rate of consumption of goods. Higher tax rates will lower consumption of certain goods, and may increase consumption of goods belonging to that specific need.

For example: Tier 2 houses require Cotton Shirts, and Leather for Clothing needs. If the taxation is higher, their consumption of, say, leather will lower, and an increase in Cotton. In another case, at lower taxes, houses could consume larger average of certain goods, etc.

The aim is to slightly create a varying economy and management requirement of an island, creating an up and down trend for goods, income, import, export demands, etc. What this does is create an average flow of resources and goods overtime. Excesses and lacks would periodically shift instead of being linear.

The player will now try to attain an average economy instead of a perfectly balanced economy of goods, transferring them, selling them, importing them, etc.

The warehouses will be more alive, and storing stocks of goods, withdrawing to sell, etc. would be much more dynamic.

Thank you for reading and for your consideration.

ruuti0
02-24-2018, 02:52 PM
I only read your text fastly so hopefully I didn't misunderstand it, but I don't like idea that consumption changes from exact model to non exact model, it takes one skill point of game away, which is that you intuitive know how to much produce each good for optimic level.

If its not exact, or fixed as you say it, it will change randomly (even if you know area where changes happen) and make game more random, which isn't good (it would be realistic, but not good for gameplay). I really don't get how you would get average consumption, since consumption would change randomly every time cycle. Even if you know how much it can change per house, you can't get average consumption, because in one time all houses could get -2 (unlikely but possible) from normal value and next time all houses could get +2 value (also unlikely outcome, but possible) and anything between. Randomness like this isn't good for gameplay.

For same reason 3. tax idea is no go, because then tax income would become random also.

Your idea would be realistic, but for gameplay its not good, sometimes fictional way is just better in games.

GnaReffotsirk
02-25-2018, 10:55 AM
Fair point. However, there were certain factors that somewhat shook-up island economy in previous Anno titles.

In 1404, storms, warfare, beggars attacking, disturbs your island's normal operations, calling you back to the island and work on it. In 2070, the island's eco-balance shifted production rates.

I have 2205, but only spent a few hours into it, so, I don't know if there is something like the above existing in that game.

In any case, the cycle for small island-wide variance for consumption could take long periods so as not to bother players too much, or it could be offered as an option when setting up a game.

As an additional element introduced with this mechanic, small excesses from production facilities would be generated, but instead of directly just deciding to sell them, the player will have to consider if he wants to save some for future use.

The variance doesn't have to be big and immediate, but small, gradual, and directed towards the bigger picture and longer play time.

ruuti0
02-25-2018, 12:58 PM
Fair point. However, there were certain factors that somewhat shook-up island economy in previous Anno titles.

In 1404, storms, warfare, beggars attacking, disturbs your island's normal operations, calling you back to the island and work on it. In 2070, the island's eco-balance shifted production rates.

I have 2205, but only spent a few hours into it, so, I don't know if there is something like the above existing in that game.

In any case, the cycle for small island-wide variance for consumption could take long periods so as not to bother players too much, or it could be offered as an option when setting up a game.

As an additional element introduced with this mechanic, small excesses from production facilities would be generated, but instead of directly just deciding to sell them, the player will have to consider if he wants to save some for future use.

The variance doesn't have to be big and immediate, but small, gradual, and directed towards the bigger picture and longer play time.

There is some time that I played last 1404 last time so I don't remember
how it worked there. Do you mean that if storm destroyed some of your
infrastructure you had to rebuild buildings etc? That was also case
in 2070, but it didn't make consumption random, it just made production
unreliable for a moment.

This could be countered simply by that you
in begin (or at some another time in game) make more goods than they need so there is left some
extra in stock supply so in case that you can't produce or deliver
your citizen still don't run out of it and you have time
to rebuild buildings or ships. I always do this. Then I optimize good
produce to level where they get it as much as they use. That way
you don't produce too much and in case something unwanted happen
you have extra in stock that they can use until good delivery is fixed.

In 2070 eco-balance did shift production rates, BUT
you could control it. You could create buildings that boosted positive
ecobalance so in end it wasn't random there, you could boost eco-balance
to certain level.

What you mean with long periods? How long?

And it still would be random even if time cycle is long.

It would mean that you would have "re-manage" goods supply (producing)
every time when time cycle changes. That doesn't sound
something I would like personally.

I think I could live with it if this was optional in pre-game settings
so if somebody really want it, they could have it, but
those who don't want it, they could play with linear model (linear model, which has been one of the most succesful things in games in general).

GnaReffotsirk
02-26-2018, 05:40 AM
Or have mod support for the game.

stylisticsagi
02-27-2018, 12:20 PM
I think this is a good idea altough your point with taxes is a bit weird.
So lowering taxes would increase goods consumption?
Then why would you ever lower the taxes apart from getting a higher civ level?!