PDA

View Full Version : Anno 1800 Inter-Island(LAND) Warfare Suggestion

GnaReffotsirk
02-24-2018, 02:36 AM
Here is a suggestion for land battles, since the blog states it's hard to implement:

Player creates a military building on his island, and click a button to start an invasion of a nearby island owned by an opponent.

The battle will be simulated on the island, so no need for manual control of individual units or camps.

Details:
Let's call "manpower" to represent an Army. This can be composed of multiple unit types.

Unit Types:
- Unit types are Cards that the player produces in a military building. Similar to goods, whose strength is displayed as numerical value at the bottom right of the card.

Producing troops/Army:
- Using a Military building, the player shall click on a button, and the represented Unit Type Card will keep cycling, and after each cycle its strength will increase. This will be represented by a number as defined above.

Military Building
- Will produce manpower(or army) overtime, which will determine the strength of the force, depending on the card currently cycling/being produced.
- Player can define what type of army is being built here. The player will click icons, and those will start rolling to increase in strength overtime.

Defense:
- When attacked, all military buildings on the island, and their strength will be calculated when defending against an enemy "invasion action"

Invasion:
- When invading, the player shall either:
A) select a menu, select a target island, and initiate an invasion.
B) build a structure on the coast of a target island, and mark the building as target for Military Buildings to send reinforcements towards.
- Invasions will cost gold to maintain overtime
- Distance of target island in relation to Military Building will determine cost of invasion
- (If option A) Loss of Naval Invasion fleet on the coast of target island will disable reinforcement of "manpower" on the island.
- (if option B) Loss of coastal building will cut-off reinforcements.

Mechanics of battle:
- Unit types of different players engaged in the battle over an island will be calculated against each other overtime.
- As time progress, strengths will be reduced (casualties), and replenished (reinforced)
- Reinforcement will come from said Military Building mentioned above.
- Aggressor reinforcement will take some time, depending on distance of the source of his Invasion force (military building).

How battle will be represented visually:
A) Pockets of battles will be spawned on the island, simulating the ongoing battle.
B) or, a menu will be displayed showing the attrition between two battling forces.l

Thank you for reading, and consideration.

AgmasGold
02-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Its an interesting idea, although having the battles being completely "automated" (in a sense) doesn't really feel like it would belong in an Anno game, and the system itself feels like it would belong in a turn-based strategy game. I'm not too sure how this would integrate into the real-time nature of Anno.

An interesting idea nonetheless.

GnaReffotsirk
02-24-2018, 12:21 PM
Lots of things seem to be moving towards automation in recent anno games.

Resources are unlimited, for example, whereas in 1404, and 2070, resources are exhaustible and the player can refill those with cards. (I like this renewal system, and would like to have it come back, tbh).

My suggestion is in line with my perceived design principles of the current anno design team. A kind of compromise, even though I'd love for them to create an excellent battle AI that can maneuver properly.

Assuming they can't build this AI though, having a system similar to the above proposal would at least provide a way to bring land battles into the game.

At least.

AgmasGold
02-24-2018, 01:12 PM
In 1404, you just clicked a button, and spent some gold, to refresh resources. In 2070, as soon as you had some techs, you could just spend some tools and building modules to produce the item, then click it. This isn't really a very interesting thing for the player to do, which I think is why they have moved towards infinite resources.

GnaReffotsirk
02-24-2018, 01:40 PM
I disagree with refresh being uninteresting. It's almost relative to a point if we extend the scrutiny towards other aspects of the game.

Frustrating, maybe, but in my view, it's something that takes space in the players mind, adding the weight.

However, I could say, to make it interesting, and away from the one-click issue, refreshing resources could be given a certain amount of time before the resource is refilled and usable.

Say an "Iron ore drilling" card. Adds 400 iron ore resource to the node, after 5 minutes.

Now, if the Node/Mine, can only hold 1000 iron ore maximum, and it contains 700 iron ores currently, using the card now will be inefficient.

If you use it when the node is already empty, you'll lose 5 minutes of mining time.

If you use it when the node has, say 100 ore remaining, after 5 minutes, it will have 400 (more or less) depending on the rate of mining.

ruuti0
02-24-2018, 03:05 PM
Its an interesting idea, although having the battles being completely "automated" (in a sense) doesn't really feel like it would belong in an Anno game, and the system itself feels like it would belong in a turn-based strategy game. I'm not too sure how this would integrate into the real-time nature of Anno.

An interesting idea nonetheless.

I agree with AgmasGold, that doesn't sound like Anno anymore and I hope personally that Anno never goes to that kind of direction.

For some kind of different strategy game (probably non-real-time type) this idea could be good however.

GnaReffotsirk
02-25-2018, 10:59 AM
At least we have some form of Land battle available in the game. Even if the player doesn't have direct control over individual units, but rather have a sort of`"production chain" execution of combat.

ruuti0
02-25-2018, 12:06 PM
At least we have some form of Land battle available in the game. Even if the player doesn't have direct control over individual units, but rather have a sort of`"production chain" execution of combat.

Thing is that I don't think that even most people want land battle back, since what I have read forums and talked with people, 90% of those people liked Anno more without land battle.

And if it come back someday, it should be like it was: that you control units, not that they work automatically.

GnaReffotsirk
02-26-2018, 05:38 AM
I don't know where you got your data, but it's the other way around. In fact, the devs know a large portion of the fanbase are asking for some form of land battle, if not the 1404 system.

ruuti0
02-26-2018, 04:42 PM
I don't know where you got your data, but it's the other way around. In fact, the devs know a large portion of the fanbase are asking for some form of land battle, if not the 1404 system.

My "data": " since what I have read forums and talked with people, 90% of those people liked Anno more without land battle."

Can now you tell where you get information that large portion of the fanbase are asking for some form of land battle?

ANN0nymity
02-26-2018, 05:24 PM
May I suggest an other way of land warfare? (I really think it is important to have the option of land based war, but the player should also be able to play a game without the war) I have thought of this for an Anno during the Roman empire. (This was before the announcement of Anno 1800)
Because I really like the campements, I would like to keep this but with more options. I will call the campements legions because that is the time where this idea started, but it could be changed and integrated in 1800 of course.
I know that the warfare in Anno 1404 was very slow, so thats why i suggest 2 options of Land war

1) The legions build a camp on the enemy island. when it is finally build, you can send a proposal to the enemy to do a duel. This means that the whole island or city is at risk (with no collateral damage because it are the two armies fighting against each other on a battle zone). The warzone would be in another minisector (yes, this means a load screen), where the troops have far more options. like charging, attacking at the sides, height advantages,... etc.
THIS TAKES A LOT OF TIME, BUT HAS THE MOST PROFITS.

To have more diverse battles the legions exist out of individual cohorts these could have different units so you can choose them when building (you can also choose an premade legion for those who want it quick or don't want to think about it). So these cohorts could be archers, cavalry, pikemen, catapults (cannons in 1800), legionairs,... etc. There are in a big legion 6 cohorts, so for example: 2 pikemen, 2 archers, 1 catapults, 1 cavalry in a big legion. In a medium legion 4 places and in a small 2.

2) The legions don't set up a camp and are always ready to march, this makes it alot faster. you can directly attack other buildings and units. The disadvantages is that there is alot of collateral damage. Here are your troops marching in the cities and taking over buildings. (I would suggest that they can take over every building, not necessary the market building. Of course can the building not function properly without market building).

Thx for reading

ANN0nymity
02-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Sorry, I forgot: the duel can be refused so then the war goes on like the second option.

W0ke.
04-30-2018, 02:25 PM
I feel like this misses the entire point of land combat. The genius of Anno was the city building RTS hybrid. Land combat means troops combat. The 1404 combat was just lame. Walls and troops should have been number 1 priority for Anno. Such a shame to turn its back on a staple of the series.