PDA

View Full Version : Promoting your maps

Farcryisdead
02-23-2018, 12:41 PM
Ive been in the fc map making community for 8 years, the one thing i notice time and time again is map builders moaning "i spend weeks making maps but they dont get played". making your maps is the easy part, now you need to look at your map as a product that you need to market, these days we have far cry forums, fansites, clubs, social media. dont be afraid of being a self promoter, im a self promoter when it comes to my maps, always have been, always will be, you can push your way to the front of the crowd, or moan at the back. dont rely on ubisoft or others to make you a success as a map builder in the fc community. dont be one of those guys who wants others to make him a success. dont be afraid to self promote. remember people cant play what they dont know about. self promote or fade away.

xbox club - FAR CRY 5 MAP BUILDERS CLUB the leading far cry map making club on xbox live. join today and promote your maps all within the xbox live ecosystem. a simple and easy way to promote your creations.

Farcryisdead
02-23-2018, 01:31 PM
The people im talking about are the mappers that make maps and publish them and they just leave it at that, they dont even put screenshots anywhere, then they moan.

emrdesign
02-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Hi All,

I am building a website called "FarCry5Maps.com" that will be ready soon where I will review maps and you can also review and rate the maps yourself and give comments and map creators can also describe their map and show off their map with images and videos.

Here are some screenshots of the website to give you an idea. It is still work in progress, but hope you guys like my effort sofar. :)

http://www.emr-design.com/websites/fc5/fcmaps1.jpg
http://www.emr-design.com/websites/fc5/fcmaps2.jpg
http://www.emr-design.com/websites/fc5/fcmaps3.jpg

Farcryisdead
02-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Hi All,

I am building a website called "FarCry5Maps.com" that will be ready soon where I will review maps and you can also review and rate the maps yourself and give comments and map creators can also describe their map and show off their map with images and videos.

Here are some screenshots of the website to give you an idea. It is still work in progress, but hope you guys like my effort sofar. :)

http://www.emr-design.com/websites/fc5/fcmaps1.jpg
http://www.emr-design.com/websites/fc5/fcmaps2.jpg
http://www.emr-design.com/websites/fc5/fcmaps3.jpg

Looks great :) it's nice to see a new fansite pop up. good luck, hope it does well.

sly6276
02-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Its not allways that easy. Maybe you r young still at home and your parents dont like you using social media. Maybe you dont have a pc. Maybe your afraid of social media. Maybe your not a social pearson. Maby there afraid of rejection. Maybe they dont have much time left between building maps going to work. Maybe you have a mental illness and are afraid of what people might think of your maps. Maybe you you dont think your maps are good enough to post. There are lots of reasons

Farcryisdead
02-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Its not allways that easy. Maybe you r young still at home and your parents dont like you using social media. Maybe you dont have a pc. Maybe your afraid of social media. Maybe your not a social pearson. Maby there afraid of rejection. Maybe they dont have much time left between building maps going to work. Maybe you have a mental illness and are afraid of what people might think of your maps. Maybe you you dont think your maps are good enough to post. There are lots of reasons

The guys im talking about are the ones that will shout out MY MAPS ARE NOT BEING PLAYED they will say this on social media and here on the forums. im not talking about shy people.

Farcryisdead
02-23-2018, 04:55 PM
The thing is, some people expect to make a few maps and get noticed by the devs, then get employed, not going to happen sorry, this is just a hobby for all of us im afraid.

sly6276
02-23-2018, 05:38 PM
The people im talking about are the mappers that make maps and publish them and they just leave it at that, they dont even put screenshots anywhere, then they moan.

I was replying too this quote! my bad.I didt know how to highlight a quote.:)

Farcryisdead
02-23-2018, 05:46 PM
I was replying too this quote! my bad.I didt know how to highlight a quote.:)

After they updated the forums it took me a while to find the quote highlight :)

sly6276
02-23-2018, 05:52 PM
I do agree you need to promote your maps to get them played. Allso playing other peoples maps and responding to them will help get your own maps played aswell. There should be some ways to promote your maps in game. Not shure how this would be done though.

Restylex.
02-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Nice emr design !! Let me know when finished. I'll link my YouTube page to it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMskwGXcaU706N9HOX031Q?view_as=subscriber

please contact me in privite, because i'm a bit busy with YouTube :P

Restylex.
02-24-2018, 07:48 AM
Perhaps you need to leave the competitive area behind to be a good editor. Don't work with a time line, i'll drop when i'm happy with the result is my motivation :) .But i'll see where your talking about in a competitive way. I often drop my map release on a Facebook page, to get flooded by other map editor with there maps yet to be released.

Ow and yes i got my own followers fanbase on YouTube to promote maps of myself and other map builders on the ps4. I started it up because i had the issue of creating with out sharing how a map is build and giving tutorials because there wasn't any.

Fallen-Champ
02-24-2018, 02:20 PM
Hi All,

That looks really nice emrdesign, I also have a site in the works which will have a knowledge based system for editor info, it is more of a Blog covering map builders and showcasing maps as well as a Map Of The Week for all platforms - so the sites will be different.

There is also www.battlemap.net

Currently at work so will add some images later.

Farcryisdead
02-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Well if UBISOFT does it right there's no need for force feeding people to play the maps. But when UBISOFT drops the ball of either 1 map private lobby or co-op editor only then no need to force feed people to play cause I just wont buy. I joined FARCRY2 when it was at the end of its life of maybe 2 or 3 rooms up daily. FARCRY3 was a joke. FARCRY4 I bought it late on sale cause it was co-op only. Self promotion is easy with twitter or have a huge buddy list on XBOX1.

I use to have 300+ friends but started deleting people after a while. Clubs are lame. Mainly get little kids throwing me party invites to Minecraft or Roblox even though I don't have either game. Or they send ya invites to their own clubs. That's why I left your club AW LOST SOUL. To many spammers. Also I was in like over 12 clubs at the time. Got to be to much to try and visit each one. Let alone my feed was plugged up with game clips not even pertaining to the game the clubs were. I'm down to two clubs now. Medal of Honor Warfighter and Bad Company 3.

Regarding medal of honor warfighter - it will never be backwards compatible due to guns, attachment licences, there were real world guns and parts manufacturers in medal of honor WF. medal of honor 2010 will be ok for bc but warfighter cant happen. in order for WF to become BC on xbox one, MS would need to ask EA to contact the gun manufactures for new licences, this wont happen sorry.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-guns-and-the-dangers-of-brand-identity/1100-6391777/

Farcryisdead
02-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Hard to say. But doubt all these old games have to go back to ask people can we republish our old game. Heck I doubt DICE called up CCR to ask about having Fortunate Son song in opening menu for the Bad Company 2 NAM DLC. Highly doubt UBISOFT called up Michal Biehn for FARCRY3 Blood dragon. You could be right. But seems weird a old game will have to payout more just to be backward compatible. Doubt DICE called up about all the weapons in BF3. Heck I doubt COD called up for W@W or Black ops 1. Doubt all the racing games called for permission for make and models of cars. Isn't like the games are new. Still same old game. Just the backward compatible wrapper on it. Kinda seems like double dipping after it was already paid for.

Warfighter was unique because it didnt use generic unbranded weapons like all other shooters do. ive updated my moh wf response with more details. check above.

emrdesign
02-24-2018, 05:42 PM
Hi Fallen-Champ,

I look forward to your new website also. I am sure there will be differences between the websites, but they all have one thing in common and that is to make people enjoy map building for Far Cry 5 and finding and playing other peoples maps and read reviews or rate and write reviews themselves. I also can give a Map of the week, and it has several Top 5 of best reviewed maps, also by users or the most commented maps etc... Plus an easy search tool to find maps that you are looking for based on certain specifics of the maps.

Anyway, keep up the good work! :cool:

emrdesign
02-24-2018, 08:44 PM
That farcry5maps.com already rating FARCRY5 maps? In the picture kinda looks like it is.

I have added some demo and test content to test the website.

Fallen-Champ
02-24-2018, 09:41 PM
I look forward to your new website also. I am sure there will be differences between the websites, but they all have one thing in common and that is to make people enjoy map building for Far Cry 5 and finding and playing other peoples maps and read reviews or rate and write reviews themselves.
Yes it should always be about the maps. (I sent you a PM)

emrdesign
02-26-2018, 04:39 PM
Hi all, I have just put the new website Farcry5maps.com (http://www.farcry5maps.com) live. (there are still some things to add/change, but I need info from Ubisoft about the editor and the type of maps we can make.) At the moment it is filled with demo content to give you an idea about the website. We hope you will all make great maps and let us review your maps. Or maybe you like to help us out with reviewing maps or make video reviews. Contact us if you are interested. You do not only help us, but the whole Far Cry 5 mapping community. :D

Fallen-Champ
02-26-2018, 05:09 PM
Hi all, I have just put the new website Farcry5maps.com (http://www.farcry5maps.com) live.
I really like all the color you have on the site, looks great.
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/28500064_2150347511861555_818222307_o.png?oh=091ad 2d4f2d7b988b7a45f4799b6d04e&oe=5A973620
Do you have an image (advert) for your site and I will place it in one of those Boxes marked Reserved - they are for links to other places, I already have several taken up but have not included the images yet.

Farcryisdead
02-26-2018, 06:34 PM
For the xbox guys, checkout xbox club FAR CRY 5 MAP BUILDERS CLUB the leading far cry map making club on xbox live. 1400+ members and growing. join today and promote your maps all within the xbox live ecosystem. a simple and easy way to promote your creations. to join just search club name in club section and hit request invite.

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
02-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Ideally we need a dedicated website that the community agrees is a suitable platform to post photo's and videos of finished maps in order to share with others. The Halo community has this in the form of www.forgehub.com, where members of the community post 'forge' maps and hold contests. Similarly, the Halo community has built up 'youtubers' in the community over the years that will create videos, or 'map features' for maps that are popular and enjoyed by the community. It's all a matter of the Mapper community finding dedicated 'sites', whether it be a youtube channel or website, that we can agree on to be a central hub to go to to check out new maps.

Farcryisdead
02-27-2018, 02:10 PM
The one thing i will give to forge is, they have a central main hub for mappers. the far cry community is more scattered, but at the end of the day it's up to each mapper which way they want to get noticed, there are many options for all of us, so take advantage of each area in the community. even veterans fade away if they stay off the radar for too long. the days of red carpets being rolled out for veterans of map making are over. you have to earn your way back, you cant return after many years and expect to rise to the top and be noticed and pick up from where you left off. it's a new community with news faces. everything has changed, it's no easy ride.

Viragoxv535
02-27-2018, 02:33 PM
you have to earn your way back, you cant return after many years and expect to rise to the top and be noticed and pick up from where you left off. it's a new community with news faces. everything has changed, it's no easy ride.

Carlito's Way

x_maxpower204
02-28-2018, 02:49 AM
https://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/icons/gamertag_small.pngAW LOST SOLDIER
...but at the end of the day it's up to each mapper which way they want to get noticed, there are many options for all of us, so take advantage of each area in the community. even veterans fade away if they stay off the radar for too long. the days of red carpets being rolled out for veterans of map making are over. you have to earn your way back, you cant return after many years and expect to rise to the top and be noticed and pick up from where you left off. it's a new community with news faces. everything has changed, it's no easy ride.

Dude, you're better than this. Just map and play...don't start this before the game even comes out.

Battlemap will be ready when old and new players show up to promote, compete, and compare maps. Unless UBI fails again...:(

Fallen-Champ
02-28-2018, 09:20 AM
It doesn't matter who makes a map if it's good it's good that's what matters.
Someone might be exceptionally talented and could make a superb map on their first attempt (Like Oil and Water on FCIP by sorrowfulgoethe was his 1st map and everyone loved it back then)
Or it could be someone who has been away from the scene 8-10 years, it should not matter who makes the map if it is good people will play it and remember it and a percentage of those would look to see what others the map creator has built.

It's pretty much like an album or a song - you make a good one people play it and remember it, you make a bad one and you don't get the same praise you did for the good one - simple.
Where people go wrong (in my opinion) is they think that because they made it with one map that every other map will be received the same way but it's very tough to keep churning out back to back maps at that level which people will love.

(There are some who do this and hats off to you guys - but ever now and then there are dips so it's hard to be consistent)

1. Try something new say a different style / theme it might not get received as well but quality builders still have a habit of making things neat and playable so should still be a decent map.
2. Keep doing similar stuff and you run the risk where people say all that guys maps are similar (it happens sometimes)
3. Some are a one trick pony similar to a one hit wonder with the music charts

Just enjoy what you build no matter what people say or think, if the builder is happy with their work then that's all that matters - But sure if someone played the original Far Cry by Crytek in 2004 and came back for Far Cry 5 with a good map why wouldn't they get praise and recognition for a really high quality map - It should be more about the maps sharing and playing with others, that way there would be less drama & no matter who creates the map a good map is a good map like I said.

Farcryisdead
02-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Dude, you're better than this. Just map and play...don't start this before the game even comes out.

Battlemap will be ready when old and new players show up to promote, compete, and compare maps. Unless UBI fails again...:(

Hi :) max, what i said was not intended the way it came across. all im saying is i wont be giving special treatment for people in my club just because they were once at the top years ago, i will treat new and old faces exactly the same in my club, it's the fair way. if i went missing from the scene for years i would fully expect to start from the bottom and be an unknown and have to work my way back up. good veterans will regain lost ground fast anyway, so most come back fast. i hope to see many old faces return with great maps, people like ksmic, neokinesis, skorpius47, Shortbull NL. these guys have been gone a while but will rise fast on returning. im sorry if anyone took my comments the wrong way, i meant no harm with them.

Fallen-Champ
02-28-2018, 10:45 AM
ALS we are all missing ;)
There has been no multiplayer map building since Far Cry 3 and that had lots of problems and no vehicles so really we can more or less say since FC2 we have all been AWOL in building competitive multiplayer maps.

I will promote and play any map I like no matter who makes it or how popular or un-popular the creator is, just because one person does not like a map it doesn't mean others won't like it, there are lots of things such as choice of weapons, map style / play style, so a map you and I might hate someone could really love it that's the beauty of Far Cry there is no right or wrong just the creators vision.

Farcryisdead
02-28-2018, 10:59 AM

ALS we are all missing ;)
There has been no multiplayer map building since Far Cry 3 and that had lots of problems and no vehicles so really we can more or less say since FC2 we have all been AWOL in building competitive multiplayer maps.

I will promote and play any map I like no matter who makes it or how popular or un-popular the creator is, just because one person does not like a map it doesn't mean others won't like it, there are lots of things such as choice of weapons, map style / play style, so a map you and I might hate someone could really love it that's the beauty of Far Cry there is no right or wrong just the creators vision.

Fingers crossed for the biggest far cry community comeback ever with fc5. btw i updated my comment above with some old faces :)

Farcryisdead
03-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Maybe returning mapper veterans could get fc4 for cheap $ and come blazing back on the scene ready for fc5, we still have a month left, so you veterans have time to put out something awesome that shouts out im back in action :) go for it. there are 100's of top veterans that are starting to feel that creative itch, why not scratch that itch in the fc4 map editor in the next 4 weeks.

usmovers_02
03-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Why waste time on making a map nobody will play on between now and then?

Farcryisdead
03-01-2018, 06:18 PM
Why waste time on making a map nobody will play on between now and then?

It will ease people back into map making, they can still show people pictures and vids of a map even if it's never played. im happy to put the map editor to a full range of uses, multiplayers maps, single player maps, custom scenes, dioramas, for me the editor is a full blown art tool. the days of multiplayer or nothing mindset are over for me. i boxed myself into that mindset for way too many years. im just as proud of making these scenes and dioramas below in fc4 as any of my past mp maps in fc2,fc3. it's still art to enjoy. try it as an art tool, you may enjoy it :)
https://lilcnq.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4mTxeIFUUEf6g_8UD7IR5FeyUb1LvQ0Fw6DngS_19yJvUAR_5 I4wD_gsThbJlsbnFz4GraMooWGvZKr7zpZUyE8zNTvdZRcRe5R c8pMf8uR-ZII8YvksqVpQeiWMqay69VcNK68FnKS8CBa4L9j7xsgDvmSVe2 0M42t6gEqf3q51SBu8gRpipZdpVZ4cgBH4sG6-OdiJ7YVP-BY6G_te_d-Q?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
https://wyucng.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4mMxKIzs34-JU2-8JTRasgTT76plwa4U2IRsdeS_EwmyLRA8nnZvDlhfmPcTP-b0IDgQ-4ZiYXMw2G8XIyqivomvCIjF2J1zErjkVJkh7-l3ZqNyOBUSPcw2tqYpHV_VbLq08HJvk4WGxuTw5fZ4E9HXRExh OfhHxLyJEkLooHmhpRvmRWyBkvWXo89qOjQp0AUkNHCmWvfeMW Fu3jQ2ztYQ?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
https://9pqzvw.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4mnqZZE603hbVz15O5bGW5d1kF_bVd1KFDxPE5thEDSKYwEA9 UGRo6sJS9DqZ0U-Px49U2dwbet_CM4XKmCr-A0ql4h8Y3dUuYUxhxJEceGvS7rmcUyIyKtBkFHvw51IFAaHfXp yCUceao1K6mW6og_sqbe1P21se8pFnr_5sBmiDMPJwlXTm2Bk3 RSj0pU0EYf0N5e9Rs0xttO6PREiti3w?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
https://wyspjw.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4mF6Dt4Rhx4woScL3crGfpy0POnuLObRK8LXg3oYBis7IaieM RGiPX32aVgb0zQaXWeNN9K2X7dnT8uLJaaWp2rr0O-TOajfopRvpPmLlKA5Xuwv5Alap8hAmDLwoML6zzaW2zpaPFdT7 ZaOh4reonWdfslF4hO1NHoG0-WC7mJ6qKuEOgv9SFL6Ihnfmjqiv8WltsWJMt54XEUi-hzkhZeg?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
https://9ppoza.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4m4eLus5E-n4IpDmsZR6sG19J6O5YDpXTQM5XO8DouMD3Cc-_1E8ofYNS0kzf-okhlcRZWVRHESHVCLHjIIrRS5xonIVVJgX8kyJutTrJ2yoScL1 MPQ4pKewzMsdMKGLspr-98n0UU5bIEEeWRiTAYLtM_xacwMEkS2V7UNwq7RqXWNGRI5X3K eLGpBAEtfxQrUpyp17Fw9thLMu9tJX9-HQ?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
https://limnka.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4m-WdBue-OIla1lrtItc8c38UMdhcRRrNryWTCDLkyJ6_7WdxlrKL3UWbYI zT_oFxBe7XMuZ-WIhlhlXjTHca3jrJgd9QFs5DvUS0ql-XxJQNO0seUBXe_A59SvIBohuPI7e4B3RCh0xfJ8eT8a1eFrvAC 1eHzfOx4f-luKTcWRUS09K0Nrsb3BQit4sfmWkzRjq13xNCp4q0ugIfFqUKf wg?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none

x_maxpower204
03-02-2018, 02:49 AM
I think we can forget about public lobbies. Ubi seems done with dedicated servers. My prediction is we'll get P2P matchmaking for ranked and private lobbies again. Going to have to make the best of it if you want to get your map played. 6v6 won't be very fun for team modes either. No large team maps, unless there's some new spawn logic built in.

If the console editor controls are as bad as they were in FC4, I'll map on the PC this time. They were a huge step backwards from the previous games.

Skrap98
03-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Hey people, promoting is a really tough task. I promote and post my maps with video trailers for them and still they dont get played enough and the videos hit barely 100 views. This is situation is probably going to change with Fc5 though, i would LOVE to see more work FarCry5Maps.com, its a GREAT idea and i am looking foward posting on this site, lets populate it when its ready :) Even if you promote your maps they probably not going to get played enough. Far Cry 4 is dead . . .

unsorted-guy
03-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Very awesome! Defently going to post my maps there. I know its work in progress, but I would prefer a simple background.