PDA

View Full Version : Turned off decapitations, looks so much better

Vrbas1
02-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Might be in the minority here, but executions now look so much better now that heads and arms aren't flying silly all over the place. It's also more realistically what would happen save a few executions (Raider choke slam).

The_B0G_
02-21-2018, 07:41 PM
So you think there was no dismemberment in real medieval combat?...

There was probably less decapitations, but losing hands, arms, and legs would probably lead to the majority of fatalities on battlefields.

Vrbas1
02-21-2018, 07:43 PM
So you think there was no dismemberment in real medieval combat?...

There was probably less decapitations, but losing hands, arms, and legs would probably lead to the majority of fatalities on battlefields.

True. But most of these executions I find hard to believe heads, let alone arms, could be brute forced from someone's body.

The_B0G_
02-21-2018, 07:48 PM
For heads it would probably be more of a hack job, like in the shaman execution.

Devils-_-legacy
02-21-2018, 09:41 PM
I dunno ever watched deadliest warrior the katana (It was then tested on a stack of pig carcasses to determine its slashing power. In one downward slash, the katana cleanly cut through two pigs)

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
02-21-2018, 09:49 PM
But youre cool with them going Super Saiyan, sending airstrikes like its COD, a ninja that can disappear, a viking that regenerates health like Wolverine, and being able to revive someone AFTER theve clearly been been stabbed multiple times?

Vrbas1
02-22-2018, 12:16 AM
Lol, everyone is getting so upset because I said it looks better. Of course all the other stuff is there and of course it's not completely within the realm of realism. Still doesn't change what I think about executions. After all, I'm only talking about executions.

Diresins_PSN
02-22-2018, 01:56 AM
Sorry, I completely disagree friend. The gore in For Honor is one of the greatest features about it. I'm very proud of Ubisoft for truly getting into the realistic aspects of executions.

CandleInTheDark
02-22-2018, 02:06 AM
Sorry, I completely disagree friend. The gore in For Honor is one of the greatest features about it. I'm very proud of Ubisoft for truly getting into the realistic aspects of executions.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, I can see why they have the option though. They have effectively provided a way to not turn off people who can't handle that level of gore.Speaking from experience,if I read or watch things that pass a certain level of violence or gore, my body goes into a state that is very like the feeling you would get with food poisoning, it is what I wondered I had first couple times I came across that. Now I can handle the executions,most of them, some I have to turn away from and I have learned the opening part of each one I have difficulties with, but ubisoft have done a good job in enabling both people who like you like the realistic aspect of the game and people who would otherwise enjoy the game but can't due to how decapitation or dismemberment may make them feel to enjoy their game and that is not a bad thing.

Vrbas1
02-22-2018, 02:17 AM
I think the gore is great! Just didn't know how much I'd like it without all the heads and arms flying everywhere until I turned it off. Oh well, guess I'm the only one! To each their own.

bob333e
02-22-2018, 02:42 AM
If I may chime in

For Honor's "gore" is... rather toned down, honestly. More of a PG-13 thing than a full-blown M-18 thing. For someone who thoroughly enjoyed Mortal Kombat fatalities, and aimed dismemberment and curbstomping in Dead Space, you get the idea of where I'm coming from. However, there's something else than just dismemberment.

You can have all the gory executions/fatalities you want, but without a touch of humanity in them, they'll just fall flat as two mannequins being animated by invisible threads, hacking and chopping at each other with "bloodpacks" spurting red liquid all over the place. Mortal Kombat is more or less like that.

In For Honor, the animations of pain and suffering in executions play a bigger role, in "gory-ing" said executions. It's not the dismemberment per-se; it's the reflected suffering of the victim. Several of the executions got it down rather well, and several others botched it and look rather comical at best.

Last but not least, facial expressions during executions. In For Honor, most heroes have faces that don't show. You'll hear moaning and see struggling / fighting back, but you will rarely identify that with a pain-ridden face just asking for mercy and pity.

And on a side note; it's just lame decapitations (mostly) and lame arm-chopping. There are no guts showing, no belly-opening, no tearing apart, and there's rare blood gurgling. These dismemberments are like bamboo imbued with a red liquid. Swift chop-chop, voila. It's the animations of both the aggressor and the victim that nail down that "gory" feeling instead. And in some cases (Highlander, Shaman, Aramusha a little, Warlord a little) you may see facial expressions, but not always guaranteed, depending on camera angle during an execution.

It's understandable they want to try to appeal to a broader audience, and on top of that, insert a "safety button" (disable dismemberments). Another important point is, For Honor isn't all about the gore itself; focusing more on that would somewhat shift what the game is all about (being, essentially, the Art Of Battle combat system). It's another reason why they didn't go full-blown gore.

In a way, they achieved a delicate balance; not too mannequin-like, neither too full-blown nightmarish. Still I can't help but absolutely hate the memey executions because they add nothing to the arsenal of what For Honor presents itself with, through "executions". Humor can be confined to emotes and/or effects. But executions? this is taking away from the already-borderline average feel of how realistic the executions themselves can actually look. Add bamboo dismemberments, and they started to really ruin the rather gritty-but-still-forgivable nature of the executions in this game.

"Lol where's your arm? oh I cut it haha, it's over there"
"Lol yeah I see it, gonna go fetch it brb"
"You do that."

EvoX.
02-22-2018, 03:07 AM
With how kid-friendly and into the meme culture For Honor is heading (salt emote, seriously?), executions and blood are the only thing saving it from a PG-13 rating.

The dumbest of all things, of course, remains the Valkyrie execution censor. Just wow on that one, Ubisoft.

bob333e
02-22-2018, 03:10 AM
With how kid-friendly and into the meme culture For Honor is heading (salt emote, seriously?), executions and blood are the only thing saving it from a PG-13 rating.

The dumbest of all things, of course, remains the Valkyrie execution censor. Just wow on that one, Ubisoft.

^

Sauronbaine
02-22-2018, 03:22 AM
Lol you think this game is bad?

Play Mortal Kombat, Dead Space... or one of my favorite games...... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

God damn I love gory games. :D

bob333e
02-22-2018, 03:25 AM
Lol you think this game is bad?

Play Mortal Kombat, Dead Space... or one of my favorite games...... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

God damn I love gory games. :D

Rip n' Tear, baby! Rip 'em guts with your own bare hands!
RIP AND TEAR

@OP don't mind us. :p

Vakris_One
02-22-2018, 03:36 AM
Where's my option to turn the Valk booby-cution back to PG13? It's been stuck on U since release :p

Sauronbaine
02-22-2018, 03:53 AM
Rip n' Tear, baby! Rip 'em guts with your own bare hands!
RIP AND TEAR

@OP don't mind us. :p

Ripping chins off!

Sauronbaine
02-22-2018, 03:54 AM
Where's my option to turn the Valk booby-cution back to PG13? It's been stuck on U since release :p

WTB A kill with Valks booty smacking someone in the head for a kill. Like she sits on their face. >:P Doesn't even have to be gory.

LordDarkMoth
02-22-2018, 06:51 AM
I think the gore is great! Just didn't know how much I'd like it without all the heads and arms flying everywhere until I turned it off. Oh well, guess I'm the only one! To each their own.

Nah i turn it on and off all the time. i think some look more brutal without dismemberment. I like most of the conqs better without. But i think they go well with the samurai executes for sure.

Zordrage
02-22-2018, 06:58 AM
i Want an option that increases the blood even more..... also executions that cut off more stuff from the body.....

WHAT ?!

Tyrjo
02-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Some heads do fall of a bit too easily. I agree.

PDXGorechild
02-22-2018, 03:07 PM
The more gore, the better. Thatís what I always say.

Alustar.
02-22-2018, 03:45 PM
The more gore, the better. Thatís what I always say.

Says the child of gore!

Tyrjo
02-22-2018, 05:06 PM
I'm also a fan of gore. But some decaps make no sense.

Severe amputation comes to mind. I'm sure there are more.

https://youtu.be/Vv5dP4D9xuc?t=6

bob333e
02-22-2018, 09:08 PM
I'm also a fan of gore. But some decaps make no sense.

Severe amputation comes to mind. I'm sure there are more.

https://youtu.be/Vv5dP4D9xuc?t=6

Yeah, only Blood Rage and Double Your Effort are fine. The rest, not so much.

PDXGorechild
02-23-2018, 10:04 AM
Yeah, only Blood Rage and Double Your Effort are fine. The rest, not so much.

I reckon double your effort would just turn the head to mush.

Yeah severe amputation doesn't really make sense. Blood rage is the only believable decapitation for Berserker really, and my personal favourite despite being a default. Kick 'em in the nuts, and off with their head. Or punt in the c*nt, I always make a point of doing this to female characters!

Some of the executions look decidedly un-lethal as well. Cannonball dropkick for example, unless booted off a cliff, doesn't seem as harmful as a simple axe swing.

Meh, oh well. Quite a lot of things don't make sense in this game. Accept that it's a fantasy game with a historic theme.

bob333e
02-23-2018, 07:07 PM
I reckon double your effort would just turn the head to mush.

Yeah severe amputation doesn't really make sense. Blood rage is the only believable decapitation for Berserker really, and my personal favourite despite being a default. Kick 'em in the nuts, and off with their head. Or punt in the c*nt, I always make a point of doing this to female characters!

Some of the executions look decidedly un-lethal as well. Cannonball dropkick for example, unless booted off a cliff, doesn't seem as harmful as a simple axe swing.

Meh, oh well. Quite a lot of things don't make sense in this game. Accept that it's a fantasy game with a historic theme.

Same, my favourite with Zerk is Blood Rage. I use it the most.

And yeah, now with memey emotes and executions and rainbow effects, I already gave up on how realistic this game could have been, at least from a gritty combat standpoint; and accepted it as more of a meme show now. The bot names were enough, but they didn't stop there. I guess this was planned from the beginning.

RenegadeRasta
02-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Thank you.

Tirik22x
02-23-2018, 11:22 PM
I agree! It looks so much more realistic with them off. Thanks for the heads up!