PDA

View Full Version : About Shugoki/Warlord

Gianturion
02-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Ubisoft,I understand why you had to change the parry system and I'm glad you did,but will you please rework characters heavily dependent on parries like Shugoki? Just a few hours ago,I met a Warlord spamming moves and I couldn't counter him as much as I tried. His light is easily parriable,his heavy is too slow,his demon's embrace is even slower. The Warlord spammed headbutt for the entire match,without actually attacking,and I could do nothing about it because,even if he tried to attack and I parried,what would I do? An entire match of parry and light + headbutt? Shug's dodge isn't even useful. Shugoki is very boring and frustrating right now,as is the Warlord. I really hope you make some changes to them. Right now,Conqueror is by far the best heavy character due to his recent rework. What's your new technique,Shugoki mains?

bob333e
02-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Shugoki currently retains the best stamina drain on parry, imo. Parry > light > headbutt. Can be done on both light parry and heavy parry.

The thing about Shugoki, I try to always force a trade, using my static hyperarmor. Keeping in mind I can gain my traded HP back, with Demon Embrace. DE should land at least once per round (if it's a duel or brawl), and should land at each possible window in 4v4s.

I whiff a heavy, go for a second heavy, feint it, light > headbutt, go for a third heavy.

Or heavy > feint > 2nd heavy > trade > headbutt

Or heavy whiff > 2nd heavy > feint > GB > golf throw or wallsplat and DE

Initiate your attacks as much as you can, because when you initiate an attack you refresh the static hyperarmor (in most cases). And Shugo can tank various unblockables without losing balance, with his static hyperarmor. Can GB right through them.

Also, once in a while, pop a surprise DE following a series of weird feints. Trick your opponent into attacking first (DE is hyperarmored, he won't stop you).

Here are two instances where it worked with me like a glove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq1a_zLBECA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVJ_eC5pJZc

These are S4 footage, I will be sure to share anything I record during S5. The principles remain the same though.

I also always make sure that I sorta figured out how my opponent likes to work; to know where and when to counter.

I know there's no Warlord in there, but Gladiator is way worse with his many unblockables, honestly. The same tricks apply to both.

A Warlord spamming headbutt is weak to DE as well. Once DE is activated, the hyperarmor goes up. Also I believe if you charge the heavy, you will counter it with a strong bam. Lastly, I would try to GB through it. GB offers hyperarmor as well. I just try till it auto-pops on.

Tyrjo
02-21-2018, 06:24 PM
If all the WL did was headbutt, you should have side dodge and punished with a GB. If you lose hyper armor try and threaten with a charged heavy which you cancel to buy time. Or you can try and land a light + headbutt to buy time. WL is in essence very limited in what he can do against a Shugoki with HA up.

Gianturion
02-21-2018, 07:01 PM
I see where you're getting at. I love deceiving my enemies by fainting a nearly charged heavy. Honestly,I didn't even think demon's embrace would be good if the enemy wasn't wall slapped. Your videos helped a bit,I'm surprised people get hit by a simple mix up like heavy + heavy faint +light and headbutt. Still,wish Ubi would do something at least for Warlord. I don't play Warlord,but I can clearly see he has a very limited moveset and needs to spam headbutt to do some damage. Thanks for your answers,really helped!

Arekonator
02-21-2018, 08:22 PM
If all the WL did was headbutt, you should have side dodge and punished with a GB. If you lose hyper armor try and threaten with a charged heavy which you cancel to buy time. Or you can try and land a light + headbutt to buy time. WL is in essence very limited in what he can do against a Shugoki with HA up.
Last time i checked, it doesnt work with 700ms dodge recovery that shugo has

GNG.DardyDard
02-22-2018, 01:04 AM
A little something you should know. If you have hyper armour and get parried, you can gb after they throw a light and your hyper armour will absorb the hit = Free gb.