PDA

View Full Version : Improved AI?

kentcol
12-29-2010, 02:23 PM
I haven't played this game in well over a year. When you fly a mission, does the enemy still target only you and follow you all the way back to your base? This was a killer for me. Thanks!

kentcol
12-29-2010, 02:23 PM
I haven't played this game in well over a year. When you fly a mission, does the enemy still target only you and follow you all the way back to your base? This was a killer for me. Thanks!

DKoor
12-29-2010, 03:08 PM
It will probably target you mostly if you are leader... I don't think that you are going to get attacked much if you are #4 and there are #1 #2 #3 still alive...

Now it may be my illusion but it seems that Ai nowadays doesn't follow you to base... haven't followed me not once since new patch and I played like 20 missions in Stuka campaign so far...

However I'm not 100% sure about this as now I think they will disengage when they are wounded so I think some of them disengaged because of battle damage/wounds.
I also had LA-5 targeting me few times in spite of trailing smoke, so there are no 100% consistency here.

However, one thing I *know*... so far no Ai followed us back to base, be it from the fact that they are dead, wounded or simply gave up - I dunno (I played realistic settings, so have no icons to see enemy).

VW-IceFire
12-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Hrmmm I know the effect you're talking about, however, the AI is a little more subtle than I think you may know. Since the early days of IL-2 the AI are pretty relentless but they will turn back for home when their fuel runs low or they loose sight of you.

They also don't only target you although I feel that people get that impression sometimes unfairly. They will go after wing leaders more often than the wingman so if you always play as wing leader or flight leader then you'll get targeted more often.

I find what often happens to me is that I will make a firing pass at two or three aircraft in the opening skirmish and what happens is that the AI wingmen will protect their fellow pilot by targeting you. I've watched this effect and managed to have 5 wingmen plus the leads chasing me around the map because I fired at each of their fellow flight members.

IL-2 AI always works as a pair so a threat to one is prioritized.

The AI hasn't changed much in a long time so you'll probably find the same patterns, however, a well scripted campaign (rather than the stock DGEN campaign that comes with the game) is significantly more fun as the mission builder will have setup the AI to do some more interesting things.

Check out www.mission4today.com (http://www.mission4today.com) and browse through some of the single player campaigns. There are plenty that are very high quality and are much more enjoyable than randomly generated campaigns most of the time.

kentcol
12-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks, guys!

Ba5tard5word
12-29-2010, 03:30 PM
The AI can be unpredictable but generally they'll follow you as long as they can stay in sight of you, they still have ammo and they still have fuel. If you're in a faster plane and peel off and they lose sight, they'll go back to flying on their waypoints. If they're in a faster plane than you, and there aren't any other allied planes in the area, an enemy plane will keep attacking you over and over again. I've tried to escape back to base many times when I was out of ammo or limping home and had some annoying AI plane following me the whole time. But again they're unpredictable, sometimes they won't do that and other times they will. Often they'll tail you for a while then break off and go home, probably because they're low on fuel/ammo.

If they run out of ammo or low on fuel it seems like they go into landing mode (like your wingmen) and will go straight back to base without doing anything else. Often I've found planes heading back to base where you can get right up on their tail and fire and they don't really try to evade you, whereas if they're still in dogfighting mode they'll definitely try to evade you.

I've never noticed that they focus on lead planes or on a human pilot. Often the AI will kill all my wingmen and focus on me, so I try to kill as many of them as I can early on in the dogfight so it makes it a little easier on my wingmen, who are usually really stupid compared with the enemy, though sometimes they do their job.

WTE_Galway
12-29-2010, 03:55 PM
TD have promised to implement new AI that no longer can see through clouds with 4.11.

C.W.M.V.
01-02-2011, 05:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
TD have promised to implement new AI that no longer can see through clouds with 4.11. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm sure there will be options pertaining to that well before TD gets around to it.