PDA

View Full Version : Possible 1.4 bug - stalled unsinkable ships?

jlederer
06-22-2005, 08:27 PM
So I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.4, US DVD version, and attempted to continue my career from the last save I had in port (caused a couple more recent saves on patrol to be deleted).

I went to the east coast of UK. Had merchant (red box) sightings, tried to find them. Had trouble due to bad weather but finally got a sonar reading and headed off in that direction. I found a merchant (at night) standing still, no prop motion. Actually it was about 100 yards off when I spotted it! Yikes! Anyway tried to sink it with the gun. It never moved. Finally got it to roll over, got the sinking music...but it just floated on it's side forever and gunners kept shooting away. Hit it with a torp. No sinking. Finally gave up on it, never went in the log. Suddenly my men spotted another ship. It was another merchant, stalled in the middle of the sea at night. Shot that one with gun. No movement, got it on fire, not sinking yet, hit it with a torp, it sank stern first, got sinking music, nothing in the log, and it didn't finish sinking (tail hit the sea bottom, but bow never settled). Ack! I guess I may have to a do a clean install, patch, and start a new career?

jlederer
06-22-2005, 08:27 PM
So I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.4, US DVD version, and attempted to continue my career from the last save I had in port (caused a couple more recent saves on patrol to be deleted).

I went to the east coast of UK. Had merchant (red box) sightings, tried to find them. Had trouble due to bad weather but finally got a sonar reading and headed off in that direction. I found a merchant (at night) standing still, no prop motion. Actually it was about 100 yards off when I spotted it! Yikes! Anyway tried to sink it with the gun. It never moved. Finally got it to roll over, got the sinking music...but it just floated on it's side forever and gunners kept shooting away. Hit it with a torp. No sinking. Finally gave up on it, never went in the log. Suddenly my men spotted another ship. It was another merchant, stalled in the middle of the sea at night. Shot that one with gun. No movement, got it on fire, not sinking yet, hit it with a torp, it sank stern first, got sinking music, nothing in the log, and it didn't finish sinking (tail hit the sea bottom, but bow never settled). Ack! I guess I may have to a do a clean install, patch, and start a new career?

gabriel_cd
06-22-2005, 08:50 PM
This is a subtle problem with the sink detection system. It has happened to myself, other people and it was there for previous version as well.

If a ship settles on the bottom in shallow water and parts of the ship still stick out of the water then you may not get a registered kill. If you manage to get it to blow up then you will get the kill.

jlederer
06-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Is it normal for ships to be floating around not moving in the middle of the ocean though? I never saw that in 1.2...

jlederer
06-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Also, the ship on it's side was not completely rolled, it was about 80% rolled, and it was nowhere near touching the bottom. Well, OK, it was shallow water, about 40 meters under my keel when surfaced.

gabriel_cd
06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Stationary ships have been encountered before, usually they are moving very, very slowly, the reported speed is 0.

I guess sometimes it is possible to use a lot more ammo than usually required for a particular ship. That's the way the cookie crumbles...

Budge4
06-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Had a few ships more or less on their sides and the gunners were very nearly underwater but still shotting away.