PDA

View Full Version : Xbox One Feedback AC4: Black Flag - One gigantic disappointment

sickwithit010
02-11-2018, 08:43 AM
First of all, let me preface this by saying I am new to the series. I recently broke my leg and had a friend suggest that I try this game out, having never believed that I had tried it. Fine, I've got a few months off, I purchase the first game, Assassins Creed on PC. Immediately, I'm hooked pretty cool story, awesome visuals (compared to 360) and a pretty interesting combat system, albeit a bit clunky. Anyway, I easily breeze through the game in about a week,

Having enjoyed it, I decide to purchase the Ezio Collection for my Xbox One X, now Assassins Creed 2 is awesome. Improved graphics, improved controls and fighting style and a character that you can really get into. At this point I'm seriously hooked into the series. I finish AC2, start Brotherhood and finish it in a week and get to ACR. The only thing I will complain about ACR is the amount of bugs I ran into. Seriously, my Xbox One X would lock up as often as every 2 hours or sometimes every 15 minutes. I ended up having to finish ACR on my Xbox One S. I don't know wtf the deal is with that game and the One X but it seriously needs attention.

Having finished ACR and eager to find out more, I immediately purchase AC3. This is where I begin to see the series starting to decline. I am not a fan of this new combat system and the button mapping feel like the complete opposite of prior games, especially the free running. Anyway, I push through the game and honestly begin to feel like this is more of a chore than enjoyment. I find myself, starting to play other games as opposed to that urge I had to focus on the game like I did with the previous titles. Anyway about 3 weeks later I've finally finished it.

Reading the reviews, I decide to give AC4 a go. The majority of the reviews seem to say that it's a visual improvement, greatest AC game yet, blah blah blah. Anyway the game is on sale on Xbox Live so I purchase the digital copy and get started. WOW, wtf was ubisoft thinking with this game? Am I a damn pirate now? I seriously loathe these stupid naval missions. I find it completely insipid and nonsensical. Wtf does this have to do with the AC saga? I'm seriously so irate with this game that I considered calling and asking for a refund. This is the biggest pile of **** that I've ever played. I have no desire to be a pirate and I have no desire wasting time sailing from place to place and shooting at other boats. I can't believe that this crap actually passed as an Assassins Creed game. I've tried to like this game and have gone as far as the 3rd memory sequence, but I find that now I'd rather do anything else than play this game. In fact, this is the first time I've ever created an account to complain on a forum. This game motivated me that much.

I realize this game has been out for a few years and that I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. But man, talk about a complete 180. I don't even care to play this series anymore if it continues with this ******** sailing requirements. Now to see if Ubisoft came to their senses or if I invest my time and money elsewhere.

cawatrooper9
02-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Eh, it's a little different at first, but I'd give it a chance.

The naval stuff gets a lot better, and without spoiling anything, you can rest assured the lore weaves its way back into the narrative.

Swailing
02-14-2018, 07:14 PM
I love pretty much everything about Black Flag bar a couple of annoyances (I remember an especially irritating tailing mission), but rest assured that ship warfare is not a permanent factor in the series.

Rogue is heavy on the sailing, and you can skip Rogue without missing much because it is a side story as far as the series goes, but Unity and Syndicate have none whatsoever. Origins features a couple of scripted naval battles, but aside from that the only sailing is when you choose to use raft-like boats (just like Ezio's, but visually different).

As Cawa said, naval warfare has been one of the most popular additions to the series ever, so I doubt you've seen the last of it after Origins. Learn to love it, it's good :)