PDA

View Full Version : "Executions"

Jazz117Volkov
02-10-2018, 07:56 PM
This ties into a discussion on here recently about the apparent honour of some players. You know, not ganking, not cheesing; generally respectful players who show a higher class of behaviour when they don't have to. I think this is an interesting but not surprising phenomenon--unless you're one of those "human nature is to be evil" sorts (to whom I would say: lolno).

The executions featured in this game are starting to find a trend. That is, there's only a few items on display: dominance, brutality, and humiliation. In some cases I think this is on point, and I very much like to see each hero's personality reflected in their behaviour (which becomes a problem when that behaviour is retconned by another hero's "directed moment": i.e. Shaman's "Get Back Here" (or w/e it's called). Lawbringer was just given something similar). The themes of each character were somewhat visible in the original executions; the Warden was efficient, the Kensei was precise, the Raider was brutal, etc. but that is starting to go away in favour of the aforementioned.

I think this part of the game is only representing the other type of player. The animations only give a voice to the players who want to emote spam, who want to humiliate the other player, who want to brutalize their opponent. And I'm absolutely not being critical of these things--sometimes you want to crush the skull of that light spamming grasshopper--I am however drawing attention to the fact that these are the only options. The game is scared of allowing anything else, and I think that's unfair to the players.

There's so many ways to approach the executions; so many more ways than memes and that specific kind of gratification: respect, pity, euthanasia, the clean kill, dying alone, laying to rest...and so forth. I would love to see these sorts of things in the game. Every game ever only goes down the other path; what's the coolest way to kill someone? That list is also long and definitely belongs here, but this game could be more than just that. Importantly, as demonstrated by many players, this game already is more than that, it's just not admitting it.

AlexHuaTian
02-10-2018, 08:02 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/433IpqycHzvkk/giphy.gif
https://78.media.tumblr.com/7778168ff8613b6b995851ba4fd61ede/tumblr_n69k2vSb8c1s9nttjo1_500.gif

CandleInTheDark
02-10-2018, 08:17 PM
This ties into a discussion on here recently about the apparent honour of some players. You know, not ganking, not cheesing; generally respectful players who show a higher class of behaviour when they don't have to. I think this is an interesting but not surprising phenomenon--unless you're one of those "human nature is to be evil" sorts (to whom I would say: lolno).

Eh, I would say it is more a different style of playing than humans are naturally evil. I like to treat a brawl as a brawl and for me it is a place where two people go in and have each other's back at all times, 4v4 is generally a warzone, I would say the difference is an emphasis on we want 1v1 duels with no cheap stuff as opposed to this is my team, first priority is getting us all through this, whatever that means doing to the enemy (within reason, soldiers will cover each other but they shouldn't be committing population genocide or teabagging corpses).

There's so many ways to approach the executions; so many more ways than memes and that specific kind of gratification: respect, pity, euthanasia, the clean kill, dying alone, laying to rest...and so forth. I would love to see these sorts of things in the game. Every game ever only goes down the other path; what's the coolest way to kill someone? That list is also long and definitely belongs here, but this game could be more than just that. Importantly, as demonstrated by many players, this game already is more than that, it's just not admitting it.

There are some cool post season 1 ones,like the Wardens moment of silence but yeah it is something I have noted that the executions are getting more and more brutal or haha where is your arm? Some quick kill or even moment of respect ala moment of silence ones would be a change of pace.

Tyrjo
02-10-2018, 08:40 PM
I haven't watched single enemy executions in...ages. I just bring up the score menu.

Jazz117Volkov
02-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Eh, I would say it is more a different style of playing than humans are naturally evil. I like to treat a brawl as a brawl and for me it is a place where two people go in and have each other's back at all times, 4v4 is generally a warzone, I would say the difference is an emphasis on we want 1v1 duels with no cheap stuff as opposed to this is my team, first priority is getting us all through this, whatever that means doing to the enemy (within reason, soldiers will cover each other but they shouldn't be committing population genocide or teabagging corpses).
Yeah, but that's what I mean. The action is informed by the context; if your teammate is clearly losing and is hitting the help button, you help him. Similarly, there's players who really don't like getting interrupted in a 1v1. It's up to you what you do. Sometimes it's obvious, some times it's not, and other times what you do is simply an expression of your character (your actual character, not your game avatar).

There are some cool post season 1 ones,like the Wardens moment of silence but yeah it is something I have noted that the executions are getting more and more brutal or haha where is your arm? Some quick kill or even moment of respect ala moment of silence ones would be a change of pace.
Yeah, indeed; a Moment of Silence is indeed one of my favourites.

UbiInsulin
02-10-2018, 08:57 PM
I think this part of the game is only representing the other type of player. The animations only give a voice to the players who want to emote spam, who want to humiliate the other player, who want to brutalize their opponent. And I'm absolutely not being critical of these things--sometimes you want to crush the skull of that light spamming grasshopper--I am however drawing attention to the fact that these are the only options. The game is scared of allowing anything else, and I think that's unfair to the players.

I think executions are simply supposed to match up with the heroes they correspond to, and often in a way that does make the executing player feel like a boss. But these can run the gamut from stuff like the Shugoki crushing people to the Shinobi emerging from the shadows.

I can totally see the appeal of more simple/respectful executions, though. As Candle said, a change in pace might be nice.

Orisoll
02-10-2018, 09:23 PM
I noticed they're starting to feel very scripted, like wacky Mortal Kombat fatalities -- more about the spectacle of gore than the down 'n dirty end of a fight.

Vakris_One
02-10-2018, 09:47 PM
I agree, most of the newer executions are all starting to go down the road of humiliating the dying chap/chappette or being needlessly sadistic, sometimes even both - Whoops, there goes your arm. Go fetch, you might as well since it'll be some time before you bleed out in agony."

I don't mind some of the executions to be like this and the showy ones are sometimes cool but I really would appreciate having some more brutally efficient ones. Lately half of the new executions have been memes personified while the other half are just lame - like Kensei lazily tripping his opponent onto his blade, I mean I fell asleep halfway through that one.

Hormly
02-10-2018, 11:30 PM
The pks new execute is an ace ventura reference btw 😊

Jazz117Volkov
02-11-2018, 10:44 AM
I think executions are simply supposed to match up with the heroes they correspond to, and often in a way that does make the executing player feel like a boss. But these can run the gamut from stuff like the Shugoki crushing people to the Shinobi emerging from the shadows.
Yeah, for sure. And like I said, I'm not trying to be critical of that; it belongs here and it's important also for mechanical reasons (player reward). But in a game where the player's experience can be so textured, I think it's worthwhile if players had more options than "lol get rekt". The ability to show respect to someone who is actually skilled and themselves respectful, via the mechanics, is more-or-less unheard of in online gaming.

Dark Souls is really the only exception I can think of. There's many ways you can respond to PvP; you can taunt, you can gank, you can be honourable, and most importantly, when you win you can show respect to the loser (typically through a bow emote). Knowing how to win is just as important as knowing how to lose.

In a game titled "For Honor" I would expect it to at least be an option, but it is what I would call conspicuous by its absence.