PDA

View Full Version : come on already with the Shinobi

Foosch
02-09-2018, 10:22 PM
The Shinobi needs to be hit with the nerf bat...ridiculous.

Dane520123
02-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Lol nah not really.

Jazz117Volkov
02-10-2018, 01:04 AM
While I've never overly enjoyed fighting the little guy, I've found Shinobi an interesting concept.

If you look at the basics of For Honor, most heroes try to do a certain thing really well; stand their and tank hits (OG Conq was built around this idea), or glide between them (Orochi, for example), but Shinobi tackles it from a different perspective. Or place, rather. That is twenty feet away. It's not a very intuitive style, and it can backfire (Shinobi fails usually leave them face down on the floor), but a good Shinobi is scary because they're everything every other hero isn't.

This idea of the "anti For Honor hero" was more obvious with his original health pool. But, for whatever reason, the devs decided to dial down the kit and bring its health up to par with other assassins. Probably for the best, but I get what they were originally going for.

Jazz117Volkov
02-10-2018, 02:37 AM
The concept of assassins in general, how they were designed and the grounds on which they've been built for For Honor, still comes off as badly optimized, compared to the other classes and when you consider the overall image of For Honor's combat.

In my opinion, Orochi and Berserker are the only two really good assassins that still fit within the theme of For Honor. Peacekeeper gets half a pass; she's more akin to Assassin's Creed in that regard. The other three DLC assassins, by-and-large, do not fit in the overall theme of this game.

That's a fair point. The game's art and cast have strayed quite far from the original material we were shown. I can understand why that would happen, and indeed why it has happened; the game has grown with the community to a degree, more and more we're seeing the highs and lows of the players manifested in the game (the memes, the OTT executions, etc.), and that too makes sense in the context of this game's development (the writer left).

At times, it almost feels like the devs are running out of ideas, and will happily resort to implementing any broad, cliche concept that can be even remotely tied to one of the three Factions. When you have a Faction named 'Samurai', a Shinobi is a completely different business. They're not Samurai. In fact, they hate Samurai.
My understanding of a shinobi is they're what's otherwise known as a ninja, i.e. a mercenary. And they were sometimes employed by the Samurai. Unless my history is off it does make sense. I think Aramusha is more of a stretch; he seems to be a rich dude's bodyguard. Doesn't make a lot of sense in the scheme of things.

The thing that takes the cake for me is Romans in the Knight faction. Now those are completely different factions that would not get along. At best the Centurion would be a remnant of the Holy Roman Empire, and unless he converted, the Knights would kill him on principle. The For Honor Knights have evolved beyond monotheism too (Apollyon makes mention of each factions deities and the knights seem to have a pantheon more inline with traditional mythologies).

I can see the Gladiator being employed similar to the Shinobi--ostensibly a mercenary--but this isn't the case. The Gladiator's pursuit of "glory" is rather explicit. Again, it doesn't make any sense. Have these guys been hanging out in the Colosseum for the past two millennia, keeping the "slave warrior" traditions alive for sh!ts 'n giggles? Yet another point the Knights would disagree with; in general the code of chivalry is more about liberating slaves, not keeping them.

I get it's to populate the roster more, but honestly, they're varying the scope more with each season. Next thing we know, we're gonna have Mongol warriors as Samurai.
Yeah, that bugs me too. I really want to be interested in the lore of this world, but they're making it more and more difficult to take it seriously, and therefore give a sh!t.

Jiblet2017
02-10-2018, 03:01 AM
If you practice countering ranged attacks and GB - half of shinobi's kit is rendered relatively useless. In top of that, he always seemed to have pretty limited options out of neutral.