PDA

View Full Version : Custom Importing

Clivey.
02-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Hi

I can't find many details about the editor which is understandable at this stage.

Does anyone know if they have indicated that a custom model importer will be available, so we can export from Maya, 3D max etc?

I can understand them not wanting the models exported from the game so won't ask for that, but importing models shouldn't hurt them, in fact having different styles of maps can sometimes liven a community.

Anyone heard anything on the grapevine (without breaching any NDA's)?

Thanks

Clivey

Viragoxv535
02-07-2018, 10:57 PM
I think that it would be unfair towards console gamers if they'd do that

Clivey.
02-07-2018, 11:09 PM
How so and why would that matter? Utilising the full capabilities of a platform isn't being unfair, its catering for your audience. If the next gen consoles were more powerful than a PC, you wouldn't say you should dumb down the console version because its unfair on PC users.

But I do't want this to turn into a console vs PC discussion, just it would be cool if we could have an importer.

usmovers_02
02-08-2018, 06:42 AM
No it's not understandable that we have no info and it's highly unlikely we'll be able to import models without hacking the game.

The reason for this map sharing. Casual players need to be able to quickly download custom maps in order to keep the PvP population up. Long downloads or complicated downloads will fracture the community.

I personally completely support allowing custom models and textures.

Viragoxv535
02-08-2018, 10:40 AM
How so and why would that matter?

It would matter because you're paying less for a product with extra features.

If the next gen consoles were more powerful than a PC, you wouldn't say you should dumb down the console version because its unfair on PC users.

It's not about graphics but rather purposefully adding new content.

Don't get me wrong i'm a PC user but i know that it's almost impossible to be happening.

usmovers_02
02-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Well being able to import models and textures certainly wouldn't make them charge LESS for the game. If anything they'd charge the same as consoles. And it's extremely common for games to have different features on different systems. For an instance The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has full mod making tools. The console version does not. So basically there's a AAA game that came out on both PC and consoles that let you import custom models and textures and they cost the same price. There's nothing unfair about allowing the same game to do different things on different hardware.

DapperHayden007
02-08-2018, 06:58 PM
There would be too much work to go into the editor tools to support this, it wont just be a simple upload button. You'd have to then create collisions with sach object. Textures will more than likely need adding separately for them to be supported, its a map editor, not a game engine unfortunately.

Obviously cryengine/unity/unreal will support this type of feature because you can make your own game from them

Clivey.
02-08-2018, 08:28 PM
I beg to differ, collisions are normally dealt with the underlying engine to the game and the collision proxies/hulls are normally within the model. I don't see the difficulty. When you add a car to your map, you don't sit there and add collision points or a hull, its already dealt with by the engine and model, i appreciate you then have think about the entity script, but the request for an importer is not unrealistic, even if it was for static models.

DapperHayden007
02-08-2018, 09:02 PM
I beg to differ, collisions are normally dealt with the underlying engine to the game and the collision proxies/hulls are normally within the model. I don't see the difficulty. When you add a car to your map, you don't sit there and add collision points or a hull, its already dealt with by the engine and model, i appreciate you then have think about the entity script, but the request for an importer is not unrealistic, even if it was for static models.

Different engines have different capabilities. You'll find that only a few engines will actually support the model as soon as it's imported. Because the game needs to know what the model is and what it's uses are.

It then takes extra code to import the model at a state in which the engine will fully support the file. I'm not saying I know the actual engine because I've no idea how it works specifically. But each asset will have a set of properties which need to be applied to the game itself. I'd assume it's a little more difficult than just creating the asset/collisions and then importing. There'd be conversions needed to be made. Servers will need to be put up to support the sharing of these assets. There would be need for monitoring the game much more to ensure people don't make inappropriate assets for the game.

It's all a bit too much work to control. Now having said that. A blueprint system would be awesome to see. Where you create your own "assets" out of ready made assets in game and save them as a single object.

Also, with the game being a huge brand, i'd assume the last thing UBI want to see is a map made using poorly made textured assets which then makes the game itself look bad.

Alpha_sgt_14
02-08-2018, 09:11 PM
I mean if modding isn't an issue then we can fulfill this need? I'll start a gofundme page for Steve :)

Clivey.
02-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Different engines have different capabilities. You'll find that only a few engines will actually support the model as soon as it's imported. Because the game needs to know what the model is and what it's uses are.

It then takes extra code to import the model at a state in which the engine will fully support the file. I'm not saying I know the actual engine because I've no idea how it works specifically. But each asset will have a set of properties which need to be applied to the game itself. I'd assume it's a little more difficult than just creating the asset/collisions and then importing. There'd be conversions needed to be made. Servers will need to be put up to support the sharing of these assets..

I know hence my sentence about " i appreciate you then have think about the entity script". ;)

Viragoxv535
02-08-2018, 10:55 PM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has full mod making tools. The console version does not. So basically there's a AAA game that came out on both PC and consoles that let you import custom models and textures and they cost the same price. There's nothing unfair about allowing the same game to do different things on different hardware.

You're taking an example from a game that came out 12 years ago. You can't make that comparison with today's standards in marketing.

Steve64b
02-09-2018, 01:34 AM
I mean if modding isn't an issue then we can fulfill this need?I think the only limitation would be being able to export a 3DS or similar object into the game's native XBG format. There's a 3DSMax importer script that can load the basic FC4/Primal models into 3DS.

I personally haven't looked at importing third-party 3d models and textures. I did do some tests, importing FC3 Vaas into FC4. But that obviously was easier to do, because the file format is somewhat the same.

https://youtu.be/0oHi0EiMig8

Problem is that the clients won't have the data, so you'd have to first make sure your mod is installed on their PC. My FC4 editormod will only ever contain data that can be experienced on vanilla game installations. Otherwise you'd have maps like those made with the Yeti mod; those will crash the game if the mod is not installed... I want to steer clear from that.

Clivey.
02-09-2018, 09:13 AM
You're taking an example from a game that came out 12 years ago. You can't make that comparison with today's standards in marketing.

Ark Survival Evolved. There's an example.

Problem is that the clients won't have the data, so you'd have to first make sure your mod is installed on their PC.

Agreed. Its possible that custom content could be loaded from the map pack files itself, so distribution would then be automatic without the need for full mod support. i would imagine that the content in the current maps are loading files relative to the map (..\..\..\vehicles\) etc from the base files when the game is running, so it wouldn't take a lot of code to also check the local path.

All I see this request is a simple request to give us the ability to at least import static object, best case, physical ones.

Viragoxv535
02-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Ark Survival Evolved. There's an example.

Ok you're right but how many companies are actually derailing on the current market trend? We would be able to count the amount of recent games with official mod support on one hand. And they all seem just indie developers, not big companies.

Clivey.
02-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Ah I agree with you there on the trend. The trend is downwards, but the trend on loot boxes was going up until gamers started to revolted. Trends come and go and sometimes do a full circle.

But still there is no harm in asking for a feature that could be implemented in a patch later on. Glass half full :)

Steve64b
02-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Yeah, there is quite some talent in the user created content community. Talent that when combined could provide more than just single user maps.

If the modding insight and tools improve, perhaps content creators from the community could at some point come together. We could make our very own community DLC pack, consisting of several IGE maps joined together into one big world, even outfitted with custom objects and new textures. Completely new 3D models, related physic properties (Havok?), and animation would be more work to pull off at this point. But who knows?

While initially developed, tested and distributed by the people who are into this kind of modding stuff, the content could at some point even be mature enough for Ubi to adopt into their distribution, rolling it out as free 'beefed up' DLC content for all clients out there. But that'll probably will never happen. :P

Viragoxv535
02-09-2018, 04:10 PM
The trend is downwards, but the trend on loot boxes was going up until gamers started to revolted. Trends come and go and sometimes do a full circle.

The difference is that we are a vocal minority compared to the overall gaming community's take on lootboxes.

By the way i see no problem with lootboxes as long as they are specified upon purchasing and, in any case, they should not hinder on the player's right to enjoy the product from start to finish as advertised.

Wouldn't you prefer to have a lootbox on modding capability rather than no modding at all?