PDA

View Full Version : Ship Designs

DevilmanSinner
02-07-2018, 05:22 PM
I've been seeing a lot of comments about character creation which is hella important as it pertains to design, representation, stereotypes, and all manner of awesomeness. Love that, keep that up. Haven't heard much about ship creation though.

Will there be a modular ship design that players control? Or are the ships' designs preset? Modular design would have to consider smaller ship sizes so that it fits inside the mother ship class vehicles. Imagine it like this: you can design your fighter however you want but it's inside this "box" in order to make sure it can fit inside the bigger "box" (the mother ship). And the modules would be preset obviously (cockpit, hull, wings, thrusters, weapons, so on). Players would have just as much fun crafting bizarre ships (even it's limited to modifying preset shapes and configurations).

I think I saw the devs cycling through decals that you could place on the (smaller fighter class) ships. Forza Horizon had a really cool decal/vinyls editor that allowed a ton of creativity and the ability to share it with other players; it would amazing to see something similar to that implemented.

atubaboun
02-07-2018, 05:41 PM
https://youtu.be/OJzAyINDwfE?t=2480

At 41:20 they show different ships and customization options.
So we know that, as least for this king of ship, the small fighter, we will have a lot of customizatition options. I think it's reasonably optimistic to assume all ships available for players will be customizable, even if its not with the same depth as the small fighter.

atubaboun
02-07-2018, 05:45 PM
I also think when they spoke about this post https://bgegame.com/2017/09/26/spaceship-focus-merchant-mothership/ they said they had ideas for making ships "animal shaped" with the example of the merchant ship kinda looking like a whale.

DevilmanSinner
02-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Watched all that stuff and I'll really looking forward to it! Hopefully when they get further on development, we'll be able to influence some of the shapes of ships. I'd love to see some asymmetry in the ship design, especially among smaller fighters.

And as I was saying about modular design, I really do want it to be modular. If you knock out one thruster on my fighter, I just slow down. If you knock out a portion of my cargo frigate that houses my fuel, then my fuel runs down and now I have to consider running away from this fight instead of still hoping to win it. Am I being clear in my vision? I know I'm getting ahead of myself probably but these are my thoughts. I hope they're useful

KIERROK
02-09-2018, 07:58 PM
If I can make my Mother Ship look like the 3rd from the top or 3rd from the bottom, I'd be happy.
https://www.eveonline.com/article/new-designer-skin-line-valimor-legacy-available-for-gallente-ships/
These two were my favorite ships in the EVE universe.

DevilmanSinner
02-10-2018, 03:19 AM
Yes yes yes! I said in another post that I want the designs to be inspired by the best titles in the industry. I mentioned that the dogfighting should feel good, like Eve.

How does anyone feel about the other space battles? Mothership battles feeling truly knock down, drag out, and heavy weight. Battles against entire bases maybe? Like, inspired by bullet hell games like Ikaruga and Sine Mora? I think that would be amazing. Really flying freely through a large space station, or collection of armed asteroids, dodging heavy artillery, firing and trashing their weapons, making a way for the Mothership to get through until it reaches the final ship. You, in your small fighter taking out guns to board the ship and capture resources and crew, or just shelling it to bits. Kind of how in AC4 Black Flag you could board a ship and capture resources and crew or just destroy it and collect a smaller amount of resources.