PDA

View Full Version : One shot kills with Hellcat in offline campaign

drose01
11-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Having just installed PF and played about 4 missions in the offline USN campaign game, the first thing I noticed was that one hit on a Zero would usually turn it into a fireball or knock off a wing.

I do recall reading that the early Zeroes were notoriously lightly armored and vulnerable, but is this realistic? Is anyone getting similar results?

Not that I mind feeling like a Super ace for now, but I am just cureious.

drose01
11-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Having just installed PF and played about 4 missions in the offline USN campaign game, the first thing I noticed was that one hit on a Zero would usually turn it into a fireball or knock off a wing.

I do recall reading that the early Zeroes were notoriously lightly armored and vulnerable, but is this realistic? Is anyone getting similar results?

Not that I mind feeling like a Super ace for now, but I am just cureious.

pourshot
11-22-2004, 01:32 AM
Try setting Gunnery to realistic and see how it goes.

Baletzan
11-22-2004, 01:37 AM
Isn't the hellcat armed with 6 50cals?
There has been posts about the power of the 50cals and the zeke goes down with couple of hits no matter the gun shooting at it. Besides the hellcat is one of the best planes in the game IMO. Dunno if there's anything wrong or unrealistic with this but it is how it is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif.

NorrisMcWhirter
11-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Hi,

It's not confined to the Hellcat; the Wildcat is a 'good' performer, too. I've shot down 5 Bettys in an online co-op with one - they seemed to be just as vunerable as a Zero in terms of fire....and that's with realistic gunnery on.

So good it was, in fact, I've thought about switching to it for any bomber interceptions instead of my usual 190A9/262-1a rides http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers,
norris

SeaFireLIV
11-22-2004, 02:25 AM
I`m no expert, but Zeros do go down amazingly easily. Catching fire instantly is fine, I heard about them being fire lighters, but the wings come apart like match sticks - breathe on it and it falls apart! Still, makes up for the fact that they`ll easily outturn you if you miss that 1 sec moment of opportunity when you`re on their six.

As for how realistic it is, I have no idea...

cueceleches
11-22-2004, 02:32 AM
I agree with Seafire. Usually, most of Japanese aircraft were badly or not at all protected: no metal platings for the pilot, no self sealing fuel tanks. Especially this last feature made those planes rather vulnerable to tracers. A couple of well placed shots in any of the fuel tanks converted the plane in a huge fireball. Many WW2 footages show this.

Tully__
11-22-2004, 03:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I`m no expert, but Zeros do go down amazingly easily. Catching fire instantly is fine, I heard about them being fire lighters, but the wings come apart like match sticks - breathe on it and it falls apart! Still, makes up for the fact that they`ll easily outturn you if you miss that 1 sec moment of opportunity when you`re on their six.

As for how realistic it is, I have no idea... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's an article at AvWeb by a chap who flew a restored Zero. His comments about the engineering of the things is that they're so lightly built he was afraid to use the steps provided when climbing into the plane for fear of damaging them and the structure around them.

stansdds
11-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Early in the war armor and self-sealing fuel tanks were sacrificed for speed and agility. This works well if your opponent is flying inferior aircraft, but the Wildcat was just nimble enough to keep up with the A6M2. The 50 caliber machine guns used by American aircraft, when loaded with incindiary rounds would easily punch through the aluminum skin and enter the fuel tanks, igniting the gasoline and turning the Zero into a flying Zippo lighter.

stathem
11-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Bettys were also flying fuel tanks, known as a "one-shot lighter". Anything before G4M3.

- Fighting Aircraft of World War II, Bill Gunston

wuggle85
11-22-2004, 06:17 AM
imo all jap aircraft were lightlly armord, thats why most of them were fast, agile, manouverable, take the ki84 it can outrun most aircraft and give them a run for their money but get on its six & its had it

firehttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gifstarter

SeaFireLIV
11-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Well, Tully and the rest of you guys, I guess that`s way it goes in life. there`s always a disadvantage to every advantage! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
11-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Someone posted on here a month or so ago pacific_aa.avi. They were talking about the unsycrnonized .50cal tracer fire (as opposed to teh synced stuff we have)...but the video shows, in color, a goood amount of gun camera footage with Zero's as the target and Hellcats as the ones doing the shooting.

The Zero's come apart very quickly once hit.

Saburo_0
11-22-2004, 07:33 AM
if turning hard the strain from G-load would increase the liekely hood of losing a wing if hit.

Still i suspect the frailnes of the Zero is a bit overdone. I have a clip of a corsair exploding 190 m ahead of a Zeke & the entire tail section of the Zero disintegrates.
Also dropped 2 60k bombs in front of the concrete implacements around aircraft & destroyed 4 different zeros, the furthest was 3 doors down.
Zekes should burn & explode but most guncam footage i've seens shows bursts of several seconds before they burn. If up close they should go up very quickly tho. So if you're getting within a 100 m i'd expect them to go up very easily.
Ok guys flame away.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

actionhank1786
11-22-2004, 08:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

As for how realistic it is, I have no idea... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's an article at AvWeb by a chap who flew a restored Zero. His comments about the engineering of the things is that they're so lightly built he was afraid to use the steps provided when climbing into the plane for fear of damaging them and the structure around them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Solution: My Man Slingshot!
I've been looking for a market for it, and i think i've found it!
Men who own restored Zeros! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Dont want to wrinkle your plane? Simple, my clever device catapults you into the cockpit!
YES THIS IS BRILLIANT!!!

chris455
11-22-2004, 09:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
There's an article at AvWeb by a chap who flew a restored Zero. His comments about the engineering of the things is that they're so lightly built he was afraid to use the steps provided when climbing into the plane for fear of damaging them and the structure around them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not surprised, the steps are little push activated plunger types. Considering the average Japanese pilot probably weighed only &lt;120 lbs, it would be rather easy to bend / break one.

mortoma
11-22-2004, 11:00 AM
What does the Hellcat have to do with anything?
I can shoot and kill a Zero just as easily in anything else with .50 cals!!! Especially a plane six or eight of them. The type of aircarft used for the Zero killing should be totally irrelevant in this case. If you wish to discuss the DM of the Zero, well that's another issue, but keep the Hellcat out of this. But wasn't the Zero legendary for being a Molotov Cocktail waiting to happen anyway?? So why any issue at all?? I don't get it......

cpirrmann
11-22-2004, 02:40 PM
It's the other way around for me. I hit zeros and see pieces fly off and then nothing happens. I see AI pilots and what others here say turn zeros into fireballs with one shot but I must be using rubber bullets. And..flying a wildcat or hellcat, it seems like one or two bullets and my wing's gone! Or the first hit disables my ailerons or elevators and I become the perverbial fish in a barrel. I'm not complaining, but I find it anything but easy. I fly with all the realisms turned on except for external views (I love to watch the fly bys).

Korolov
11-22-2004, 04:12 PM
My biggest gripe about the Zeke is they tend to flat out explode rather than suffer catastrophic failures. It gets annoying when they blow up right in your face. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

jazman777
11-22-2004, 04:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stathem:
Bettys were also flying fuel tanks, known as a "one-shot lighter". Anything before G4M3.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's why I'm wondering why they didn't include the Betty as flyable. The cockpit is easy: just one large, round button labelled; "explode".