PDA

View Full Version : 'May the Father of Understanding guide you...'

JudgeQwerty
11-15-2009, 04:20 AM
It just occured to me that I don;t really knpw what that means. I always assumed by 'father of understanding', the Brotherhood was referring to the power of reason itself, as in, 'May your reasoning aid you and not faith in the transubstantial or imaginary'. But in Lineage, Rodrigo says it in Part 2 and then ends it with 'Amen'.
I notice Corey May did not cowrite, so its possibly a continuity error.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

JudgeQwerty
11-15-2009, 04:20 AM
It just occured to me that I don;t really knpw what that means. I always assumed by 'father of understanding', the Brotherhood was referring to the power of reason itself, as in, 'May your reasoning aid you and not faith in the transubstantial or imaginary'. But in Lineage, Rodrigo says it in Part 2 and then ends it with 'Amen'.
I notice Corey May did not cowrite, so its possibly a continuity error.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

ACII_Addicted
11-15-2009, 04:35 AM
I sure do not :P

SupremeCaptain
11-15-2009, 04:41 AM
The Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion?

PWNcracker
11-15-2009, 05:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:
The Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, the Night Mother?

Blessings of Akatosh upon ye...

guipit
11-15-2009, 05:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet

this?

Coolgerb
11-15-2009, 07:55 AM
'Amen' in that situation is more of an 'indeed', instead of it's normal use.

"Damn we need a lot of luck to get through"

can be replied to with

"Amen to that" or "Amen" too, for example.

Hatzego
11-15-2009, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by guipit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet

this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On the Wikipedia page:
Arkon Daraul proposed that "Baphomet" may derive from the Arabic word ??? ???? Abu fihama(t), meaning "The Father of Understanding". "Arkon Daraul" is widely thought to be a pseudonym of Idries Shah." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe...

OSnailsO
11-15-2009, 12:06 PM
It's a templar thing... We assassins wouldn't understand it &gt;.&gt;

JudgeQwerty
11-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Hmm... Baphomet is a fictional demon god invented just to accuse a few Templars of Satanism. I'm sure that's probably related, but still...

I think this one's a bit closer though...

http://www.templarhistory.com/shah.html

In his book "The Sufis", he theorized that Baphomet was really a corruption of the Arabic term "Abufihamat" meaning "Father of Understanding." If this is the case, and the Templars had adopted Sufism into their rituals this possible etymology of Baphomet could simply imply God.

Additionally, Shah suggests the Sufi terminology "ras el-fahmat" which translates to "head of knowledge." This provides an interesting thought connecting the concept of wisdom with the head. Could this be the head allegedly worshipped by the Templars? It is unlikely as the term speaks in figurative terms rather than literal ones.

"Probably relying on contemporary Eastern sources, Western scholars have recently supposed that 'Bafomet' has no connection with Mohammed, but could well be a corruption of the Arabic "Abufihamat" (pronounced in the Moorish Spanish similar to bufihamat). The word means 'father of understanding'. In Arabic, 'father' is taken to mean 'source, chief seat of,' and so on. In Sufi terminology, ras el-fahmat (head of knowledge) means the mentation of man after undergoing refinement- the transmuted consciousness."

See, it is indeed a metaphor for reason itself. This feeds my intellectual vanity to no end! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ike_love
11-15-2009, 03:12 PM
http://vigilantcitizen.com/wp-...ffatimamannequin.jpg (http://vigilantcitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ladygagahandoffatimamannequin.jpg)
http://vigilantcitizen.com/wp-...2009/08/Baphomet.png (http://vigilantcitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Baphomet.png)

Hmmm.....The general consensus is that the term refers to baphomet, but be careful about saying he/she, or whatever you call it, was invented just to accuse Templars. If that was the case, why would the name baphomet still be tossed around today like it is. Just wiki baphomet.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet

JudgeQwerty
11-15-2009, 03:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ike_love:
Hmmm.....The general consensus is that the term refers to baphomet, but be careful about saying he/she, or whatever you call it, was invented just to accuse Templars. If that was the case, why would the name baphomet still be tossed around today like it is. Just wiki baphomet.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...because Baphomet was invented to persecute Templars? Noonme has said otherwuise, only that the word, (not the Satanic stuff) stems from the Middle East, either a bad poem or Sufi mysticism. I just want to know what the heck 'father of understanding' means in AC.

Pendragon_082
11-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I think this is a continuing motif. One of those mysteries that will be slowly revealed to us. I mean, think about it, how much do WE as players really know about the Templars of AC?

If anybody bothered to search the computers at the Abstergo lab at the end of AC1 then you would have seen an email from the Abstergo head honcho mentioning The Father of Understanding.

gamerxclutch
11-15-2009, 04:26 PM
the father of understanding is what drove the templars forward

gamerxclutch
11-15-2009, 04:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OSnailsO:
It's a templar thing... We assassins wouldn't understand it &gt;.&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you would if you took some time to research your enemy and know them

jrutter
10-20-2010, 02:53 PM
the first thing I thought of was deism. this line may go right beside ideas born in the US, such as on the dollar bill "annuit coeptis" - he approves our undertakings. "novus ordo seclorum" - new order of secular things (new secular order). however, the context would be out of date, as deism is the product of the french enlightenment which would have occurred hundreds of years AFTER the crusades and Italian Renaissance.
but the phrase surely implies or alludes to some god-type intelligence that all men might share. perhaps deism is older than Voltaire or Thomas Paine...

magesupermaster
10-20-2010, 02:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deus_necator:
the first thing I thought of was deism. this line may go right beside ideas born in the US, such as on the dollar bill "annuit coeptis" - he approves our undertakings. "novus ordo seclorum" - new order of secular things (new secular order). however, the context would be out of date, as deism is the product of the french enlightenment which would have occurred hundreds of years AFTER the crusades and Italian Renaissance.
but the phrase surely implies or alludes to some god-type intelligence that all men might share. perhaps deism is older than Voltaire or Thomas Paine... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you post in an old thread?

Murcuseo
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by magesupermaster:

Why would you post in an old thread? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a bit of an odd question, would you rather he started a new thread to discuss the same thing or actually put the effort in to find the relevant thread and then post in it...

I think the latter is the obvious choice.

iNt0xiCaT3dSainT
10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robson19822009:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by magesupermaster:

Why would you post in an old thread? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a bit of an odd question, would you rather he started a new thread to discuss the same thing or actually put the effort in to find the relevant thread and then post in it...

I think the latter is the obvious choice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robs got a point ..

godsmack_darius
10-20-2010, 05:40 PM
When I think about it, the templars in AC2 were not really actual templars. more or less amtuars.

Templars wanted peace, but out of chaos.

Order out of chaos,

In AC2 they just wanted power

Starsfan1009
10-20-2010, 06:45 PM
@ godsmack_darius

True...but you need power to create order and you need order to create peace. Catch 22 in a way

godsmack_darius
10-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Well your right

But Rodrigo Borgia didnt seem that way in the vault now did he.

He seemed more focused on getting power