PDA

View Full Version : OT,, this sucks

Snyde-Dastardly
05-14-2005, 02:05 AM
I came home today to find my front door wasted and me being ripped off! What sucks the most is the silver dollers my grandfather took to the air in his P-47, P-51 as his good luck charms are now gone as well! Im stumped and totaly pi**ed off. What kind of animal does that kind of SH*T !!!!
I guess Im venting,,,,,,I guess I have every right to as well,,,,,,,,Hell Im really ticked off

Thanks for listening.
CARPE DIEM

Snyde-Dastardly
05-14-2005, 02:05 AM
I came home today to find my front door wasted and me being ripped off! What sucks the most is the silver dollers my grandfather took to the air in his P-47, P-51 as his good luck charms are now gone as well! Im stumped and totaly pi**ed off. What kind of animal does that kind of SH*T !!!!
I guess Im venting,,,,,,I guess I have every right to as well,,,,,,,,Hell Im really ticked off

Thanks for listening.
CARPE DIEM

carts
05-14-2005, 04:20 AM
God theres some scumsucking pond life out there,hope you get your grandfathers stuff back

F19_Ob
05-14-2005, 05:25 AM
ough..that really sucked....bad luck mate. Hope it sorts out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Lucius_Esox
05-14-2005, 06:31 AM
Bummer m8. Just think people like that have no conception of the real value of anything so apart from the real pain thay have cause you they are to be pitied because they are "lesser" human beings. Still very sad about the thefts though..

Bearcat99
05-14-2005, 06:33 AM
That does suck......

Aside from all the missing stuff it also pisses ypou off to have to fix or replace your door as well.. then there is always the possibility of them coming back. It's a good thing you didnt catch them.... who needs a murder on thier hands or the memory of beating someone to a pulp on thier minds.... I hope you get some of that back. Check the pawn shops.

SeaFireLIV
05-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Sorry to hear that. Hope things turn better for you and you get your Grandad`s stuff back.

And if he comes back- don`t hold back.

LW_Icarus
05-14-2005, 07:02 AM
The last apartment I lived in was burglarized 3 times while I lived there, they were coming in through a garage door in the middle of the night. took us awhile to figure out how the heck they were doing it.

I didnt lose anything except cash and consumables, but was mostly pissed because someone had the nerve, the audacity to come into my house while I was asllep. I felt violated. and a little insecure, imagine if they were armed...

sorry to hear about your lost memorabilia, that really sucks.

LStarosta
05-14-2005, 09:10 AM
I sleep with a rifle by my bed.

BuzzU
05-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Sorry. I know that must suck. It happen to me one time too.

If someone breaks into my house now, they'll run into an 80 lb pit bull.

Lucius_Esox
05-14-2005, 10:00 AM
A few years back in England a couple of "erberts" did this to a bloke who lived out in the country in a farm. They picked the wrong bloke, one ended up dead!!

Someone who remembers the story will no doubt me more precise with the facts. I do remember though the issue of payouts to the victims,, the victims in this case if I remember right were the two a****holes who did the robbery, the relatives of the dead, and the survivor.

The PitBull sounds a viable alternative http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T_O_A_D
05-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Yep that totally blows!!!!!!!!

Happend to us awhile back too, Got all the guns My dad had passed down from several generations of the family.

LuckyBoy1
05-14-2005, 10:49 AM
I've heard the argument that when you've suffered a crime of property, you have not suffered a loss of life. To that I do not agree. Most of us work to get what we want. So, our life is pretty much on hold until we can leave work. Yes, it's not as bad as all that, but you are still trading away part of your "life" in order to have your things and fair enough.

Then adding insult to injury is the loss of history. I'm sure losing that silver dollar was like losing a bit of your Grandfather. I know that if I lost a patch that I got from my Brother, he died in Vietnam... the patch was not an officially produced U.S. Government approved item and cannot be reordered. I know that if somehow the patch was lost, it would be like having a last bit of him ripped from me.

jurinko
05-14-2005, 11:15 AM
one would want to kick them in the balls.. hope the damage is not too big.

heywooood
05-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Oh man, the loss of those coins is heartbreaking.

Trashing a locked door makes a lot of noise...any of the neighbors see anything?

Usually that kind of entry means more than one thief...loners look for screens/windows/quiet entry. Also Aholes that hit like this usually try 2 or 3 in the same area / same day...because they are geeked up for it.

Remember seeing a couple of guys walking around recently? maybe looking for a 'friends' house? or a lost dog?...

Try the nearest swap meet / flea market or pawn shop...believe it or not I have retrieved a stolen guitar and a full set of tools that were stolen from me.
The guitar had my name under the pickguard so when I saw it in the window (recognized it by the sight of a good sized nick I had put on it...playing whilst intoxicated...again) I told the proprietor he needed to be handing it over.

If those coins are recognizable in any way at all you might want to give it a shot...or if you find any of your other stuff this way - chances are the coins were offered at the same time.

Now - you and I and the American people all know what a long shot it is to find this stuff - but what the hell...its either worth the effort or its not.

I had fun at the pawn shop when the cops showed up and I unscrewed the pickguard on that ol' Ibanez for 'em. One of my better days actually.

Old_Canuck
05-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I remember the feeling. Came home to our house one day and found the front door kicked in and stuff all over the place. Got a condo and wired it with an alarm to make the wife feel more secure. RCMP officer told us if we shoot the next one to make sure we get him in the front so we can claim self defense. You want to borrow my gun?
http://www.woodbuddies.com/PF/ButtBullets.jpg

LuckyBoy1
05-14-2005, 04:30 PM
And yes, common sense would say the neighbors would hear it, but even with good neighbors they rarely do and if they do, they generally think the noise was something else.

Speaking of pawn shops, I dunnow where you live, but you could do a tour of the local pawn shops and coin dealers. I would not approach it from a...

I'm just gonna take my coin back.

type of perspective. Leave a description of the item and what it means to you. Give instructions that you will pay the merchant for it, but if they get it, chances are, you'll have a hard time giving them the money, because as long as it's not too much, most won't take the money.

Aaron_GT
05-14-2005, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Someone who remembers the story will no doubt me more precise with the facts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony Martin, aka "Mad Martin" locally. His first brush with the law over firearms was when he had a land dispute with a neihbour and threatened them with a handgun. The second was when he had a dispute with his brother and went round to his brother's house and shot his windows out (I think this brother was out at the time). His brother left the country. The third was shooting at someone for scrumping apples (this is the point when the police revoked his right to keep guns). The fourth time he actually killed someone when he laid in wait for burglars armed with an unlicenced gun of an illegal type (he also had a sawn off shotgun he didn't use) and shot the burglars in the back as they ran off.

You have the right in the UK to defend your life if someone breaks in, to the extent that you can kill the burglar but Martin overdid it as they were leaving when he shot them. There have only been two cases of trials resulting from homeowners in the UK killing burglars in the last 10 years. One was Martin, the other was a man who stabbed a burglar, who then ran off. The homeowner then chased him 100 yards down the street to stab him some more, resulting in the burglar's death.

I don't support burglarly, but it's not worth killing someone over stuff. It's just stuff.

Aaron_GT
05-14-2005, 04:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Speaking of pawn shops, I dunnow where you live, but you could do a tour of the local pawn shops and coin dealers. I would not approach it from a... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Normally every town has a set of pawn shops where things tend to turn up. A lot of burglary is to fund drug habits (typically heroin) and the criminals want to offload the stuff rapidly to convert it into the next fix. So it doesn't tend to travel far.

Aaron_GT
05-14-2005, 05:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The guitar had my name under the pickguard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get those pens that write in ink that only shows up in UV light. Those are useful to do this sort of thing with. Some burglars are wise to it in obvious locations and will bring a UV light with them, but if it is also in somewhere hidden you can catch them out. Mind you, you never seem to get round to it until you have stuff stolen.

LuckyBoy1
05-14-2005, 05:15 PM
People not from Montana tend to view it as a trigger happy State. When I was growing up, we had shoot on site laws and no being in danger of your life needed. Folks in supposedly more "civilized" places would call that barbaric. Maybe so, but when you call 911 with an emergency, if it is a true emergency, chances are they will be there in a few minutes. Call for the County Mounty in King County Montana and see how fast he gets there!

then people will say things like...

Those people in Montana even let their kids walk around with guns.

Well, that's not exactly true, but the hand guns are for shooting a bear that may attack and we view a gun as a tool and certainly NOT something you would shoot someone with.

As a result, while it is legal for them to do it and most are quite well armed and proficient at shooting (a tool is useless and possibly dangerous if you get no formal training) you just don't hear about the bodies dropping like flies at the DuPont Chemical plant. The reason for that is while legal, it is still considered socially unacceptable to point a gun, loaded or unloaded at someone much less shoot them and heaven's sake, kill over property? While they wouldn't stick you in jail, most would no longer have anything to do with you.

With all that said and prequalified here, I still am not with the Montana thinking on this. Now, personally, I would not shoot someone over property. However, if my neighbor did it, even if he baited the fool and waited for him, I'd still buy him a beer when it was all over! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Taylortony
05-14-2005, 05:34 PM
THat really does suck, I would hang em up by the proverbials then cut em down after 1/2 an hour with a rusty knife...... and i aint talking cutting no rope.................. Do check out tjhe local pawn shops and I DO HOPE you get your dollars back.............. its the bl**dy do gooders in this world that have got us into this state......me i would lop off a hand............. the Arabs do and they dont re offend, well maybe once only after that its use your teeth time....................http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif things like this rankle.......... Guns are thankfully a rarity here, but even thats changing for the worse.....they did a female special needs school teacher for firing an airpistol into the ground near yobs that were terrorising her and jailed her........see
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1546915,00.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1398972/posts

there was an uproar and she was freed........
I hope you get them back, it makes me sad to think of what you have lost http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

LuckyBoy1
05-14-2005, 05:53 PM
In Montana, if someone was threatening a woman or her children like that and she shot the suspects, not the ground, people would be buying her a beer before the bodies even hit the ground! Your civil rights in my opinion are kinda suspended when committing a crime of violence and to me, what she did was not a crime, but simply defending her family. She may have felt on the edge, but trust me, if she wasn't, they'd be picking pellets out of the local teenagers instead.

And ole Robert, if he lived in Montana... after doing what he did... let's just say his only safe option would be to leave the State WITHOUT a forwarding address! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

trumper
05-15-2005, 09:21 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Tony Martin did us all a favour,1 thieving gypsy dead and 1 injured.Don't feel sorry for the gypsies involved.By gypsies i am referring to the ones that contribute nothing towards the community,rob,cheat and commit crime and take over communities,i am NOT talking about any law abiding gypsy that is genuine.[before i am accused of genocide or racism]
http://www.edp24.co.uk/Content/News/Index/TonyMartin.asp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/martin/0,2759,214318,00.html

IcarusXP
05-15-2005, 10:10 AM
The theif has no heart, only an eye for things he can sell quikly. Your best bet is to start looking around in pawn shops and the sort. Thats how my Brother got our Grandpa's wrist watch back after he was robbed.

On a good note, they left your computer. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

My 1983 Buik Riviera Limited edition got broken into about 2 months ago. They stole a $50 stereo, but trashed my dash panels to get it. Urgh, was I P.O'd! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

LuckyBoy1
05-15-2005, 10:20 AM
And a thief could care less what sort of a spot you are in. My car's fuel pump died while out on the highway. In the 10 minutes it took me to walk to the phone, call a wrecker and the 10 minutes to walk back so that's like 25 minutes at the most, someone broke the right window even though I left it unlocked and ripped the dash apart to get a $40.00 stereo and then went and ripped the wiring harness apart and then stole my 36 month old, 24 month lifespan battery and finished off the wiring harness in the process.

I really think the Arab's are on to something with cuttin' the ole hand off! It will at least slow 'em down next time!

Aaron_GT
05-15-2005, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tony Martin did us all a favour,1 thieving gypsy dead and 1 injured </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to remember that Tony Martin had a history of firing guns at or around people before you make him a poster boy for shooting dead thieves. The man has a personality disorder and is not the sort of person who should be let loose with guns. He shot dead a 'theiving gypsy' but he shot at people before that.

LuckyBoy1
05-15-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm more interested in what he's hit rather than what he's missed. I know this seems harsh, and I'm a make love not war kinda guy believe it or not!

PBNA-Boosher
05-15-2005, 11:00 AM
This is why guns are good, and it's also good to proudly display that you have one, loaded, all the time, in many places in your house. And you should show it to everyone, your neighbors, the nearby gun enthusiasts, your daughter's prom date, your son's prom date.

AND most importantly

teach these people about firearm safety.The more aware you make them, the more sure they are that you're in control of the situation, and less likely to rip you off, as they know that they won't like a .357 bullet up thier butt.

LuckyBoy1
05-15-2005, 11:16 AM
One of the first things I was ever taught about guns was that they are always loaded. A demonstration seemed to be in order and my oldest brother took out his 30/30 and set up a watermelon and said...

Now structurally, this thing will react to my gun about like how your head will, so watch carefully.

I'm still in therapy trying to get the image of that watermelon as the slug slammed into it out of my head!

Oh the humanity!

The flip side of this gun stuff is I learned as a Paramedic that you stand something like conservatively an 8 times greater chance of being killed with your own gun than you do defending yourself with it. Why? The criminal always has the element of surprise on you. You can stay paranoid all the time... in that case, you'd be better off turning the gun on yourself... or you stand a chance of coming home ans surprising the burglar just AFTER he's discovered your loaded gun! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Ok, now to talk back out of the other side of my mouth again... These statistics I point to yes, are true, but they don't take into consideration how many lives are saved because they prevent attacks.

In the end, I will never condemn someone for wanting to have a gun or instisting that no guns enter the house ever! It simply isn't my call because the issue is not so cut and dry. However, you scare some person while you are in the commission of a crime... geeze baby, you may even be my best beer drinking buddy, but I ain't about to cry for you when it happens!

IcarusXP
05-15-2005, 11:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
This is why guns are good, and it's also good to proudly display that you have one, loaded, all the time, in many places in your house. And you should show it to everyone, your neighbors, the nearby gun enthusiasts, your daughter's prom date, your son's prom date.

AND most importantly

teach these people about firearm safety.The more aware you make them, the more sure they are that you're in control of the situation, and less likely to rip you off, as they know that they won't like a .357 bullet up thier butt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could'nt agree more. Unfortunatly I live in the American west and we have been tamed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

There is an unwritten law in American Society that we are no longer permited to deffend our selfs and our property. If you get robbed or attacked, you will be charged if you injure your asailant. they call it Vigilanteism, or somthing like that.

Which reminds me of a great Joke.

"A man wakes up in the middle of the night to a ruckuss in his back yard and finds a gang of theifs robbing his shed.
He calls the police and is told, "No one is available and they will get to him as soon as possible".
The man watches helplessly as the theifs load a truck with his belongings.
He calls the police back and says, "Ya, know those those theifs I told you about a minute ago?"
"Yes says the dispatcher"
"Well don't worry about it. I shot them all dead."

As soon as the man hangs up the phone lights and sirens come from every direction and in turn the theifs are caught red handed.
When the Police Officer asks, "I thought you said you shot them?"

The man replies, "I thought you said you didn't have anyone available?."

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Ankanor
05-15-2005, 11:59 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif B@stards! I hope you find your stuff.

Many of us have been victims to some sort of crime. My father, he is a sports high school teacher, prevented a local vandal from raping a girl. A few week later was New Year and he had just had a tooth operation.It caused great pain and he was on pain drugs. And in the first hours of January 2nd, he suddenly woke up to the smell of smoke. He went out of the bedroom to find the corridor on fire. He woke up my mother and they both extinguished it. The Investigators discovered that quite an ammount of gasoline had been spilled on the door and in front of it. Then the above stated rapist was heard saying he had "visited" us and he was going to do it again. But he was shot dead by his concurrents shortly after that. When I come to think of it, if I knew who killed him, I'd buy him a beer. That SOB never went to jail, he had high police relations.

once again, My hopes are that you find the stolen items. S!

LuckyBoy1
05-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Actually, some societies have very low crime rates like Japan and I don't think handguns are legal there, but I'm not sure. This is yet another reason why I refuse to tell some guy he's wrong by either having or not having a gun.

Ankanor
05-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Maybe the local police authorities are better at doing their jobs. I have read in Japan about it was like 90+ % of the crime cases were solved...

Aaron_GT
05-16-2005, 05:10 AM
You are right, LukcyBoy. There seems to be little correlation between crime rates and gun ownership in general terms, in that some societies have high levels of gun ownership and low crime (e.g. Switzerland) low levels of gun ownership and low crime (e.g. Japan), or high levels of gun ownership and high crime (e.g. former Yugoslavia).

The correlation is more with social structures within society, police force effectiveness, and social conditions.

I am sure that if you change gun ownership policies in an area you might get some small causal change in crime rates but probably relatively small.

As an example in the UK burglarly rates (according to the British Crime Survey *) have halved over the past 10 years even as gun laws here have become more restrictive. Mugging rates have remained relatively static. What there has been is a change in drugs usage from heroin (the chosen drug of burglars it seems) to crack, and also an improvement in economic conditions. The suggestion is that some of the burglars have actually gone and got jobs, and others have migrated to crack which is more addictive and leads to more impulsive behaviour (mugging) to get the money for a fix, apparently.

* BCS has used the same methodology over the last 10 years. Over that same period there have been a number of changes in the way police forces in the UK compile their figures in an attempt to get them to use more consistent ways of classifying crimes. Some of these have led to a big apparently jump in crime rates that are just to do with the methodology. For example violent crime appeared to increase by 25% or something in South Yorkshire over the last year, but it's just a change in cateogorisation. The South Yorkshire violent crime rate is still only half the national average, it just looks like a huge change when it isn't. It's also one of the reasons why comparing crime rates between countries is difficult. For example in the UK if I robbed a bank with a replica gun it would count as an armed robbery even though no real gun was involved. The logic is that if you don't catch the people then you don't know if it was a real gun or not, it is just that if it turns out to have been a fake it doesn't get reclassified.

Hmm... can you tell that my sister worked as a statistician for the police?

mynameisroland
05-16-2005, 05:21 AM
Sorry to hear about it m8

My great grandfather left me memoribilia he was left from WW1 and my Grandad left me his watch that he took to WW2. These items have no real value other than to me so i'd assume nobody would steal them if they robbed me, a more likely target would be my PC and all my other gear !

I used to live in a basement flat and kept a baseball bat under my pillow as it was a dodgy area. Once a guy was fiddling with my window in the middle of the night. I got up and flicked the light on and off a few times. I was so pumped up with adreniline it was quite exciting - but scary too ! He /she left at that point. They would certainly have had a shock if they'd broken in and found a naked baseball bat wielding Scotsman running at them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif lol !

B16Enk
05-16-2005, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They would certainly have had a shock if they'd broken in and found a naked baseball bat wielding Scotsman running at them Big Grin lol ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never seen a naked baseball bat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Back OT:

Sorry to hear of your loss, having experienced a burglary personally I know a little of what you feel.
Here's to hoping that you find your mementoes.

Blutarski2004
05-16-2005, 11:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
I remember the feeling. Came home to our house one day and found the front door kicked in and stuff all over the place. Got a condo and wired it with an alarm to make the wife feel more secure. RCMP officer told us if we shoot the next one to make sure we get him in the front so we can claim self defense. You want to borrow my gun?
http://www.woodbuddies.com/PF/ButtBullets.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That must have been back in the days when Canadians could legally possess firearms .....

HerrGraf
05-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Aaron, you are right about gun ownership having nothing to do with crime rates. However a gun owner should never broadcast the fact that they posses firearms- the criminal element will mearly break in when you are not about and then steal your guns. Years ago some antigun freak wrote in the L.A.Times newspaper that thieves should follow every N.R.A. member home and then steal all thier guns. Just what one wants, only the criminal element to have guns.
For any uninformed that desire a firearm for defensive purposes- do yourself a favor and get a shotgun (preferably a pump) instead of pistol. It has a great intimidation value and you can load it with a nonlethal rock salt load (which will make the intruder wish they were dead). If the situation gets more tense, then you can step up the ammo to more lethal status.
Rifled deerslug will ****ed near blow a human body in half.

Back to the topic---------
Sorry to hear of your loss. If you have any druggies in your neighborhood, then you have someplace to start your search. Put out a reward poster for those keepsake items that you would really liked to have back. You never know.

han freak solo
05-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Crime victim here, too.

In twenty five years:

Home broken into = 0 (lucky, so far)

Vehicle stolen = 1

Vehicles broken into = 3 (2 times in the last 6 months)

Robbed at gun point = 1 (Three young women, 1 with gun, in Waco,Texas: lost money but not injured)

The guns I've got never prevented these crimes. It's a good thing I wasn't carrying on some occasions because I probably would have died long ago.