PDA

View Full Version : Parry changes and the consequences

Sauronbaine
02-05-2018, 09:58 PM
If the parry changes go thru as is.... you're going to see alot less executions and alot more light attacks ending an opponent... Thats kind of a bummer.

S0Mi_xD
02-05-2018, 10:04 PM
I don't see a problem here

EvoX.
02-05-2018, 10:04 PM
True enough, but the bright side is we'll see less Wardens doing their Blackstone Bash - seriously the most overused execution out there.

bob333e
02-05-2018, 10:05 PM
At first it's going to feel very alien, because let's face it, almost all of us are used to GB after a parry. With that gone, we'll have to adapt to a new rule in the combat mechanics. It's all for the better, this greatly enhances the basis of combat and puts less emphasis on free damage and guaranteed hits. I've already gotten to practicing before S5 is out.

The only drawback so far is that heroes like Centurion and Raider are losing a lot of punishes. I'm still awaiting the reveal and full patch notes to know more on whether some heroes have been readjusted to fit the new rule.

Sauronbaine
02-05-2018, 10:18 PM
True enough, but the bright side is we'll see less Wardens doing their Blackstone Bash - seriously the most overused execution out there.

ahaha. Fair enough.

I just find it a pity that executions, which are a huge part of For Honor, are pretty much pointless now as when the hell are you going to get a heavy off to kill an opponent now?

Sauronbaine
02-05-2018, 10:24 PM
At first it's going to feel very alien, because let's face it, almost all of us are used to GB after a parry. With that gone, we'll have to adapt to a new rule in the combat mechanics. It's all for the better, this greatly enhances the basis of combat and puts less emphasis on free damage and guaranteed hits. I've already gotten to practicing before S5 is out.

The only drawback so far is that heroes like Centurion and Raider are losing a lot of punishes. I'm still awaiting the reveal and full patch notes to know more on whether some heroes have been readjusted to fit the new rule.

Starting today, Im practicing without GBing from a parry tho I do think Light attacks should let you GB still.

Tundra 793
02-05-2018, 10:32 PM
I think, or rather hope, the Parry changes (which should have been implemented many many moons ago) will force us all to re-learn how to play For Honor, in a more engaging way, while highlighting certain heroes that ended up being so poorly designed, the only effect way to play them was a very one-dimensional pattern.

I'm a Rep 25 Berserker, and Rep 16 Highlander, and I just recently started trying to get into Raider, and it is painful how limited he is in most fights. Everything he does revolves around getting 1 top light in.
The Parry changes will probably hit him hard, and hopefully this will force the developers into balancing him, and those like him, much better. We don't need more bleeds, stuns or unblockables, just a good long look at combos, and attack properties.

I can't imagine the changes will impact executions much in the long run though.
Wanna execute someone? Whiff a light, land a heavy. Or finish with a hyper-armor heavy. Or an unblockable heavy. There's still plenty of options for finishers.

bob333e
02-05-2018, 10:35 PM
Starting today, Im practicing without GBing from a parry tho I do think Light attacks should let you GB still.

Considering GB can net a lot of guaranteed damage and/or free ledging, I think it's better that any parry no longer nets you a GB. Otherwise Raiders, Warlords, Shamans and LBs who parry lights will still get free ledging. And Shugo will get free Demon Embrace from 1 light parry. These are examples. Overall I think it's better that GB now requires more commitment and more timing, than being free on parry.

Mind the bots. Pre-season 5 they still parry and GB for guaranteed damage. Also don't let yourself fall short because others will do it to you in PvP. Don't go regretting that you didn't do it first. Now's the perfect time to practice a bit. For me, it's a lot more enjoyable now that fights last longer and guaranteed hits are much less.

I think, or rather hope, the Parry changes (which should have been implemented many many moons ago) will force us all to re-learn how to play For Honor, in a more engaging way, while highlighting certain heroes that ended up being so poorly designed, the only effect way to play them was a very one-dimensional pattern.

I'm a Rep 25 Berserker, and Rep 16 Highlander, and I just recently started trying to get into Raider, and it is painful how limited he is in most fights. Everything he does revolves around getting 1 top light in.
The Parry changes will probably hit him hard, and hopefully this will force the developers into balancing him, and those like him, much better. We don't need more bleeds, stuns or unblockables, just a good long look at combos, and attack properties.

I can't imagine the changes will impact executions much in the long run though.
Wanna execute someone? Whiff a light, land a heavy. Or finish with a hyper-armor heavy. Or an unblockable heavy. There's still plenty of options for finishers.

Agreed. Well said. Also feints. Feints are good to sneak a GB in. It will definitely re-rail the combat on a more solid railroad.

Sauronbaine
02-06-2018, 12:17 AM
Considering GB can net a lot of guaranteed damage and/or free ledging, I think it's better that any parry no longer nets you a GB. Otherwise Raiders, Warlords, Shamans and LBs who parry lights will still get free ledging. And Shugo will get free Demon Embrace from 1 light parry. These are examples. Overall I think it's better that GB now requires more commitment and more timing, than being free on parry.

Mind the bots. Pre-season 5 they still parry and GB for guaranteed damage. Also don't let yourself fall short because others will do it to you in PvP. Don't go regretting that you didn't do it first. Now's the perfect time to practice a bit. For me, it's a lot more enjoyable now that fights last longer and guaranteed hits are much less.

Agreed. Well said. Also feints. Feints are good to sneak a GB in. It will definitely re-rail the combat on a more solid railroad.

Are you saying Shugo wont be getting a demons embrace anymore from a light parry?

Also, Feinting into a GB doesn't always work. Depends. Good players rarely fall for it. xD

PepsiBeastin
02-06-2018, 12:30 AM
Are you saying Shugo wont be getting a demons embrace anymore from a light parry?

Also, Feinting into a GB doesn't always work. Depends. Good players rarely fall for it. xD

This has been stated yes, no Shugoki will ever get a Demons Embrace now.

bob333e
02-06-2018, 12:34 AM

Quoting from Tundra's abridged patch notes thread:

Shugoki - Reduced forward movement during parrying to 1m (from 2m), to match other heroes. - Shugoki used to be able to act 700ms into the 800ms Parry. Now, Shugoki can launch Light, Heavy or Zone Attacks at 600ms, but must wait until 800ms to perform other moves like Dodge, Guard Break or “Demon Embrace”.
Developer’s comments: This means Shugoki can punish a Heavy Parry with a Light into Headbutt, and punish a Light Parry with a Heavy Attack as before. Shugoki no longer needs to switch stance to make this happen (he did before).

So yes, upon light parry, it's still possible to land a Demon Embrace, provided you input it quick enough and within 900ms, since the attack window will be 900ms on light parries. Miss the tiny window, and it misses. It's a better trade than having it guaranteed on wallsplat after a guaranteed GB on parry.

So technically, you have a 100ms window to initiate Demon Embrace. Now I'm not sure how this will be on practice, I'd like to try it out myself. But I suppose it's gonna be pretty tight. Otherwise, you'll need to GB through a light attack, wallsplat, then DE.

bob333e
02-06-2018, 12:38 AM

You can always do this. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVJ_eC5pJZc

Knight_Raime
02-06-2018, 01:44 AM

you can easily GB someone through an attack with armor up.
it'll happen less often but it's still there.