PDA

View Full Version : @Ubisoft suggestions about parry changes

AzureSky.
02-04-2018, 05:05 PM
Overall i think the parry changes are great, the only thing i would change to balance the heros more is giving a free guard break on light parrys, since a lot of heros moveset are based on guard break or actions after it (raider with front grab and shugoki with wall splat then bear hug from example) and taking that away would decrease a lot of their fighting powers (introducing issues that makes only characters with good damage after a light parry scale better) let me give a good example with raider.

After Doing a light parry with Raider you get a free top heavy of 45 damage, thats a lot, but doing a grab to a opponent with little stamina and carrying it over with front trow gives me much more tools, since i left him with no stamina and if i have a wall i get 30 damage + 50 damage zone attack mixup after that (that i can chain with a feint to parry it) after that if i feinted the 50 damage zone and get a parry i have 45 free damage when he is on the ground, This is more risky since you need to beat the guy in the mixup but the results are much more risk / reward (also a lot more fun) and its a big part of high elo raider's game, taking that away (since baiting grabs with characters that are not centurion is really hard on high elo) will make a big % of his power useless, so you will need to buff him in other areas after the actual parry changes. (again, causing more issues in the long run if you decide to revert some of the parry changes)

This is why i suggest adding a free guard break on light parry, only light parry, then the players can pick between more mixup power or more flat damage in the form of the highest damage the character has after a light parry (some will get more than others, again, causing more balance issues)

Bjron_Ironside
02-04-2018, 06:23 PM
I agree with this. I've been thinking about all the slower heroes like shugo and raider that rely on a gb after a parry to even be useful in 1v1 situation because getting a gb is virtually impossible (on pc) if you're playing someone that isn't a brainlet. I honestly think this parry change will either be a good change or a downfall of every slow hero.

CandleInTheDark
02-04-2018, 06:36 PM
The thing is that the devs did what they did exactly to prevent the kind of scenario you discuss in a single parry having the capacity to do 80 damage thusly encouraging them to do nothing but wait for a parry. Remember that initially they wanted the reward for parrying both kinds of attacks to be the same and their initial thought was to increase stamina drain as opposed to offering free damage, people rejected that and this is their compromise which they also did a balance pass, including logner range characters no longer being out of reach, to ensure that everyone gets a relatively equal reward for.

Also since you mention the shugoki, this again puts him in line for getting a free demon's embrace off of a parry, you would have someone, above all others, benefiting from the meta that these changes are supposed to fix.

S0Mi_xD
02-04-2018, 07:30 PM
No, i don't think we need a Guard Break from any parry.
The only thing, that parry needs is a stamina cost.

Maybe the machanic GB could use an overhaul.
Or we could have a new mechanic.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1745375-Do-we-need-a-real-Guard-Break
That's a suggestion i made for a additional Block Mechanic, or better say an Add-On.

It doesn't need to be so complex like i made it in my suggestion, but the idea in my suggestion is in benefit for slower chars with more raw dmg.
It also could work with a certain amount of hits.

Let's say:
A block direction can take 10 hit points.
A light attack counts as 1 hit point, a heavy as 2 hit points.
At 5 points your side glows yellow, and at 3 points it glows Red.
If you take all those 10 points from one side, the enemy suffers a - let's call it Guard Burst.
This Guard Burst stuns the enemy for a short time 300-400ms or so, and in this time you get ONLY a safe/untechable GB.
It wouldn't be enough time for an attack.
After the guard burst the counter goes back to 10.
Also, ways to regenerate those hit points:
1. Over time, not blocking with the side that should regen (let's say it starts after 3 sec to regen and regens 1 point every ... 1 or 2 seconds)
2. Parry skips those 3 seconds to start the regen.

I know, the biggest flaw with this kind of idea would be in 4v4, but therefor we could have new gearstats (that's a thing that was planned anyways as far as i know - adding new gears for new stats)
Also, in revenge block sides could be invulnerable.
There are ways to balance such a mechanic out.

Even on PC, you can land a heavy attack and some lights on some blocks - you can always outplay people no matter how good they are.

AzureSky.
02-04-2018, 08:37 PM
The thing is that the devs did what they did exactly to prevent the kind of scenario you discuss in a single parry having the capacity to do 80 damage thusly encouraging them to do nothing but wait for a parry. Remember that initially they wanted the reward for parrying both kinds of attacks to be the same and their initial thought was to increase stamina drain as opposed to offering free damage, people rejected that and this is their compromise which they also did a balance pass, including logner range characters no longer being out of reach, to ensure that everyone gets a relatively equal reward for.

Also since you mention the shugoki, this again puts him in line for getting a free demon's embrace off of a parry, you would have someone, above all others, benefiting from the meta that these changes are supposed to fix.

its over 80 in a mixup situation, that is beatable, all the fighting games have this and it makes the games more fun (tekken 7 for example) just attacking and defending like stationary boxers is usually regarded as very boring (you can see it in some high elo tekken matches when someone picks jack 7 to turtle and poke) absolutely not fun at all, there's already some characters that have this specific mixup games (shinobi and centurion) and are still able to keep doing it so yeah, i think slower characters should still have some power with grabs on light parrys.

Its a matter of fun