PDA

View Full Version : Warlord

Archo-Vax
02-02-2018, 05:09 AM
His Full-Block (which, logically, shouldn't take much time execute, at all) is too slow to catch a lot of attacks. Shaman's jumping attacks, Shugoki and Lawbringers' Light Attacks. His Full-Block is only useful for Heavies. And even then, that's only a fifty-fifty, so there's almost no point. If anything, the Full-Blocks' start-up should be near instant, and/or like Aramushas', and have slow recovery.

He also has pathetically small reach. I don't expect him to have the range of LB, but it's like he's got T-Rex arms. Come on, now. This goes for his Guard-Break and Light Attacks. The only function his Light Attacks actually serve is to smack the opponent in the face to stop them from doing anything, and it can't, half the time, due to reach.

His Centurion-esque ability to punch the opponent after a parry is useless, basically. The blind/stun effect is completely ineffectual, and the only guaranteed hit you get is a small stab. His Headbutt is similarly anemic.

Hormly
02-02-2018, 05:53 AM
Warlord is amongst the most well developed of the OG cast, still overshadowed by the DLC crew but otherwise solid.

Im ok with his fullblock speed, it used to be faster and essentially replaced the need to parry. Heres a trick, hold fullblock stance and wait for your opponent to GB then swing your heavy 😄 50% of the time it works every time.

The headbut doesnt reward much this is true, but it does frustrate a turtling opponent and often forces them to fight or dodge, leading to more parries or gbs.

The shield smack after a parry is pretty much for show i admit 😕

Tyrjo
02-02-2018, 09:50 AM
It's pretty clear that Warlord is going to be a C-tier hero as soon as the hero reworks/buffs are released in two weeks. The series of nerfs he received during the last year has really taken the edge out.

In a nutshell what has hurt him the most:

Lowering his basic attack dmg on the light and heavies. Let's face it, you never land chains on people who know how to play this game.

The introduction of 18% chip dmg. His kit relies on blocking, it suddenly became way less rewarding. Let's say you FB a 40dmg heavy eat 7 chip dmg, are you going to poke for 12 dmg? Nope, that leaves a the heavy as the only reasonable option. Time it wrong by just an inkling, prepare to get parried.

Removal of the left heavy after shield counter. Much more reasonable given the upcoming parry changes, but still a huge nerf.

Throw distance nerf. Now that GB after parry is gone, maybe change it back? He really needs that extra wall splat damage.

Nerfing of dodge recovery values.

Removal of the ability to CGB in FB. A justified change, but still a nerf.

Charmzzz
02-02-2018, 10:04 AM
It's pretty clear that Warlord is going to be a C-tier hero as soon as the hero reworks/buffs are released in two weeks. The series of nerfs he received during the last year has really taken the edge out.

In a nutshell what has hurt him the most:

Lowering his basic attack dmg on the light and heavies. Let's face it, you never land chains on people who know how to play this game.

The introduction of 22% chip dmg. His kit relies on blocking, it suddenly became way less rewarding. Let's say you FB a 40dmg heavy eat 9 chip dmg, are you going to poke for 12 dmg? Nope, that leaves a the heavy as the only reasonable option. Time it wrong by just an inkling, prepare to get parried.

Removal of the left heavy after shield counter. Much more reasonable given the upcoming parry changes, but still a huge nerf.

Throw distance nerf. Now that GB after parry is gone, maybe change it back? He really needs that extra wall splat damage.

Nerfing of dodge recovery values.

Removal of the ability to CGB in FB. A justified change, but still a nerf.

WL was, for ~8 months, the most OP Character in FH. He had everything: Dodge recovery of an Assassin, Damage like a Heavy, Hyperarmor, highest throw distance, most effective HP and passive damage increase in Dominion, an Unblockable from neutral with guaranteed damage. He needed the nerfs as he was literally S+ Tier.

He is still capable of defending a Zone pretty good, and that is his Job in Dominion. As that is the selling point and Main-Mode of FH I think he is in the right spot now. Maybe a bit damage increase, but gtfo with throw distance, dodge recovery and all the fancy stuff he had.

And who knows, maybe he is in the patchnotes as well? I think that the parry changes will result in a big balance patch for every Character.

Tyrjo
02-02-2018, 10:12 AM
WL was, for ~8 months, the most OP Character in FH. He had everything: Dodge recovery of an Assassin, Damage like a Heavy, Hyperarmor, highest throw distance, most effective HP and passive damage increase in Dominion, an Unblockable from neutral with guaranteed damage. He needed the nerfs as he was literally S+ Tier.

He is still capable of defending a Zone pretty good, and that is his Job in Dominion. As that is the selling point and Main-Mode of FH I think he is in the right spot now. Maybe a bit damage increase, but gtfo with throw distance, dodge recovery and all the fancy stuff he had.

And who knows, maybe he is in the patchnotes as well? I think that the parry changes will result in a big balance patch for every Character.

It didn't say everything should be restored back the way it was. I just summarized all the nerfs that has hit him. They did come when all the other heroes were in another place. Now that so many new heroes with insane kits have been released and 5 getting reworks/buffs, those old changes may, in relation to the new state the game is in, be unjustified. Time will tell.

R-a-g-e.
02-02-2018, 11:26 AM
I like playing Warlord but you don't have a chance against experienced players.

- You can only use his strong attack after a parry but the damage is ridiculous. You cannot use the light attack after the heavy because it gets blocked or even parried.
- The headbutt helps to annoy a turtle but you cannot start any combo and the damage is also ridiculous.
- You can use his shield block but you also cannot start any combos after it.
- Yes, his throwing distance is very high but it is useless. Everbody knows that Warlords will try to throw you from ledges. So you avoid ledges und you block all guard breaks.

I think that at least his attacks should make more damage. I fought against a Shugoki and parried most of the attacks to hit him with the upper heavy. This took me about 10 parries and hits.
I could use a Cenurio, Shaman or Aramusha and he would have been dead in seconds. All DLC character have tons of combos that they can use, the Warlord has none that he could really use and that would do more damage.

Charmzzz
02-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Useless throwing distance? Avoiding ledges against a WL? You have a hack to do that?

R-a-g-e.
02-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Useless throwing distance? Avoiding ledges against a WL? You have a hack to do that?

Yes, just dodge so that you are far away from ledges or do not attack him near ledges and just block the guard breaks which should be no problem.

When I see a Warlord waiting near a ledge then I know what he wants to do. So I try to entice him away or I prepare to block guard breaks.
When a Warlord throws me off a ledge then mostly because I fought against another enemy and the Warlord attacked me with his sprinting throw which I didn't see soon enough.

Kryltic
02-02-2018, 11:55 AM
You have played For Honor, right? Fight away from ledges lol thats easier said than done and if a Warlord is waiting by a ledge it's more than likely on an objective so he wont mind waiting, especially if he knows an ally is on the way.

The Warlord is far better off than some other characters and right now can survive as he is. He only needs a few tweaks at best. Come back and complain when he gets to the same power level as the Conqueror is right now.

R-a-g-e.
02-02-2018, 12:03 PM
You have played For Honor, right? Fight away from ledges lol thats easier said than done and if a Warlord is waiting by a ledge it's more than likely on an objective so he wont mind waiting, especially if he knows an ally is on the way.

When he waits then I go to my team, wait until my team arrives or take other zones.
Or just prepare that he will guard break in any moment.
I just wanted to point out that you cannot make a character that can only rely on throws.
The day before yesterday I fought against a rep. 40 Warlord with my rep. 5 Raider (in dominion) and he didn' have any chance although I am not that good.
My Warlord is rep. 3 (nearly rep. 4) so I already played him in different situations and I know how people behave when they meet a warlord.

PDXGorechild
02-02-2018, 12:54 PM
I like playing Warlord but you don't have a chance against experienced players..

What a crock of sh!t. Total exaggeration.

I do well against "Experienced players" with classes far worse off than Warlord. He was a god tier class, and deservedly took a bit of a beating from the nerf bat, but he is still one of, if not the best, class in the OG roster next to PK. High health, good damage, great defensive capability, counter attack, unblockable from neutral, throw distance.. the list goes on. In 4v4 he has some of the most powerful feats imo, and potentially all passive. Extra health, extra damage, damage reduction and regeneration all without having to even think. Insane. Have fun taking a point on dominion on your own if a good Warlord is defending it with his feats up, especially if there's any ledges.

If you feel hard done by try playing conqueror for two weeks before he gets reworked.

Knight_Raime
02-02-2018, 01:29 PM
His Full-Block (which, logically, shouldn't take much time execute, at all) is too slow to catch a lot of attacks. Shaman's jumping attacks, Shugoki and Lawbringers' Light Attacks. His Full-Block is only useful for Heavies. And even then, that's only a fifty-fifty, so there's almost no point. If anything, the Full-Blocks' start-up should be near instant, and/or like Aramushas', and have slow recovery.

He also has pathetically small reach. I don't expect him to have the range of LB, but it's like he's got T-Rex arms. Come on, now. This goes for his Guard-Break and Light Attacks. The only function his Light Attacks actually serve is to smack the opponent in the face to stop them from doing anything, and it can't, half the time, due to reach.

His Centurion-esque ability to punch the opponent after a parry is useless, basically. The blind/stun effect is completely ineffectual, and the only guaranteed hit you get is a small stab. His Headbutt is similarly anemic.

I believe they slowed down going into full block because people were able to basically use it on reaction against anything and entirely negate the reason for him to parry in the first place. It can still be used rather effectively from what i've seen. the timing is just tighter. I don't agree with the comparison of aramusha. as he can't hold his. and it doesn't block. it's basically just a melding of parry counters with one move. One major thing people did with warlord and still do is full block and turtle. and if someone approaches to GB they just heavy out of it.

His zone is his main reach tool for fights. it's still deceptively good. his parry counter is just as useful imo as other parry counters that stun. His superior light attacks can use some work though. Headbutt is amazing. even when slowed down it's still hard for most to dodge on reaction. the guaranteed damage after just further applies pressure. He's still one of the strongest if not the strongest hero amongst the OG cast. He was stupid good in the beginning. he was able to loop with headbutt and other things together. it was insane.