PDA

View Full Version : ANNO 1800 IDEA - no water just desert with trains?

CoryDeRealest
01-30-2018, 10:32 PM
I know it is not normal for ANNO, but just hear me out, and let your mind think about it.

Now water has always been the great divide between islands and it was an island based game, so I know it would be annoying to switch, BUT

what if instead of islands it was sections of fertile/habitable lands, so the "Islands" would be grass plains/full of life and fertility (Only places you can build on)

Then the "Water" section to section (Island to Island) would be desolate plains/rocky ground and nothing can be built on it EXCEPT army camps, and railroads?

Think about it, the 1800's have the big evolution of railroads and infantry. The boats would be replaced with cavalry or huge supply waggons, and then also you could march infantry around to defend or invade!?

You could build camps or trenches for your units to hunkerdown and defend too? And most importantly your "Island to Island" trade routes would be TRAINS! You'd have to use cavalry to defend your trains from invaders or "Pirate" Cavalry units trying to pillage your trains!

I think I'm onto something here but this seems like a huge opportunity.

AD1701GURU
01-31-2018, 07:08 PM
I'm not entirely sure how they could implement a theme like that at this stage in development, but maybe as a DLC?

I've always wanted a big, open map with just land and various AI settlements spreading around, kind of like maps in Cities Skylines. I think you are indeed on to something.

iruet
01-31-2018, 11:51 PM
Anno has always been around water, that would mean that the game is not anno anymore. The idea is interesting, and they will use trains somehow... Just how hasn't been spoiled yet :(

AgmasGold
02-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Not sure how easy it is to cross the desert with 19th century technology...

ruuti0
02-01-2018, 03:05 PM
I don't like this idea, it would turn Anno to totally different game.

In my opinion most important and central part of Anno is always been that it is about taking new islands and moving with ships.

Everything else come after that like trading, building infrastructure, developing your economy and society, going to war etc.

CoryDeRealest
02-01-2018, 04:20 PM
I don't think you're seeing it the same way as I am, the mechanics of how the game works would all be extactly the same, (Islands are where you can build) inbetween those areas are just unbuildable land (just like the water) but this allows for different units and military gameplay. (Instead of an attack boat you have a squad of cavalry) (instead of the defence turrets at port you have a cannon emplacement or even trenched riflemen) then when going to a new buildable land/ island you would have a big storage cart pulled by horses (like back in 1800's) eventually to make fast trade routs between your islands you'd be able to build your own train tracks

I could see warfare better with conquoring area's so maybe have it more defence focused and have trenches of riflemen along big areas of the unbuildable lands.

ruuti0
02-01-2018, 06:23 PM
I don't think you're seeing it the same way as I am, the mechanics of how the game works would all be extactly the same, (Islands are where you can build) inbetween those areas are just unbuildable land (just like the water) but this allows for different units and military gameplay. (Instead of an attack boat you have a squad of cavalry) (instead of the defence turrets at port you have a cannon emplacement or even trenched riflemen) then when going to a new buildable land/ island you would have a big storage cart pulled by horses (like back in 1800's) eventually to make fast trade routs between your islands you'd be able to build your own train tracks

I could see warfare better with conquoring area's so maybe have it more defence focused and have trenches of riflemen along big areas of the unbuildable lands.

I am not seeing it as you see it, but thats not the problem here.

Problem is that I love game based on water, ships, sailing and islands. It give perfect atmosphere that I love in Anno series.

I don't want Anno: MadMax

AgmasGold
02-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Anno: MadMax lol :)

Yeah, Anno has always been about islands and colonization... having it on land just wouldn't feel like Anno...

savilianan
03-30-2018, 01:40 AM
It could work, as far as it works like the tundra maps form 2250, but with train track connecting a harbor building and a cliff surronded land piece, like a vally for example.

Kevin_Ar182
03-30-2018, 02:47 AM
I must say that I like this suggestion for one big reason: it makes trains super useful.... You would actually be able to build rails that go somewhere.

However, it does make the game more train related (which can be fun too), but I guess the others have a point, that water gives the game a certain feel to it that might be lost otherwise. :(