PDA

View Full Version : Assassins... Assassins everywhere!

Hormly
01-29-2018, 05:45 PM
I think it's safe to say we have definitely entered the 'assassin meta'. Everywhere I go I am assaulted on all sides by dodgy little runts, poking me in my tender spots.

Seems with their high mobility, attack speed, damage, stuns and bleeds, the big guys are slowly being phased out :O

Certainly didnt help that most of the DLC roster were assassiny types sporting crazy kits.

Lets hope some of the reworks can bring the fatties back into fighting form, and if we ever get more DLC characters in the future lets hope we dont just get another handful of duel wielding pests.

#fatshaming

Kryltic
01-29-2018, 05:50 PM
They can dodge a lot and they rule in Duel and Brawl (as they should tbf) but in 4vs4 they don't appear more than anyone else (Shaman excluded).

Without sounding too patronising you just need to practice more vs them and learn to read their moves. You'll learn to love killing them as the dodge into your attacks :')

Tundra 793
01-29-2018, 05:56 PM
Lots of people have voiced concerns about this the past few months, myself and others at length here; https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1828990-Vanilla-and-DLC-Hero-Comparisons
Archo also made a thread last year sharing the same sentiment.

I agree, we need more heavies, and the Assassin's need to be carefully re-balanced. Since the whole first year of For Honor gave us all Assassin's, and Hybrids (but lets be honest, the hybrids are just hybrids of more assassins).
I'm worried seasons 6+ might only give us heavies though, to counter-balance all the speed freaks we got.

Enter the Thick Meta.

Hormly
01-29-2018, 06:01 PM
Lots of people have voiced concerns about this the past few months, myself and others at length here; https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1828990-Vanilla-and-DLC-Hero-Comparisons
Archo also made a thread last year sharing the same sentiment.

I agree, we need more heavies, and the Assassin's need to be carefully re-balanced. Since the whole first year of For Honor gave us all Assassin's, and Hybrids (but lets be honest, the hybrids are just hybrids of more assassins).
I'm worried seasons 6+ might only give us heavies though, to counter-balance all the speed freaks we got.

Enter the Thick Meta.

hey, at least we got the highlander.... ha, ha, ha :p

Knight_Raime
01-29-2018, 06:05 PM
All 3 dlcs brought 1 assassin and 1 hybrid. So I would say it's assassin/hybrid meta.

Heavies are not really used often and really haven't been once people figured them out sans warlord.
I still see plenty of the vanguards as well.

in my experiences there are only 3 heros I don't see often. Those are: conq, valk, centurion.

Hormly
01-29-2018, 06:16 PM
All 3 dlcs brought 1 assassin and 1 hybrid. So I would say it's assassin/hybrid meta.

Heavies are not really used often and really haven't been once people figured them out sans warlord.
I still see plenty of the vanguards as well.

in my experiences there are only 3 heros I don't see often. Those are: conq, valk, centurion.

I typically label characters assassins more by how they play and feel rather than the label the devs gave them, ex; Aramusha is a 'hybrid' officially, but to me hes still a dude with low HP who gets in my grill and spams lights. whatever he is a hybrid of, its certainly one part assassin, and one part not a heavy

so in my eyes our DLC roster was 4 assassins, one hybrid and one heavy

Arekonator
01-29-2018, 06:21 PM
I assume you play mainly duel because dominion, there is decent number of conqs and cents running around.
But i have to admit the assassins are certainly more numerous by some margin, and i would like to see some different character archetypes introduced into the game, because when 5 out of 6 new characters relased are (often dual wielding) speedsters, it gets really stale.

CandleInTheDark
01-29-2018, 06:24 PM
The devs kind of had to give the same classes (so an assassin and a hybrid combination the faction doesn't have) otherwise they would have gotten the opposite problem, there are enough who are trying to push the devs into a means of making players only play in their faction (major bugbear of mine that they try to push the devs to force people into less choice if they want to take part in faction war because that is how they play it) if we hadn't had the Gladiator or Shaman after the Shinobi people would have been asking where their new assassin is, especially given there has a always been accusation that devs favour one faction or another.

That being said I do hope that the reworks balance the field a little starting with the Conq and that if and when we get more heroes they are heavies and vanguards to balance numbers out, there is still no pure heavy I would play outside the Conq though I do plan on Lawbringer and maybe later Highlander when dedicated servers mean I can more reliably level up.

Hormly
01-29-2018, 06:26 PM
I assume you play mainly duel because dominion, there is decent number of conqs and cents running around.
But i have to admit the assassins are certainly more numerous by some margin, and i would like to see some different character archetypes introduced into the game, because when 5 out of 6 new characters relased are (often dual wielding) speedsters, it gets really stale.

Ubi is following some strange logic where the smaller a weapon is the more deadly. i.e. a highlander swinging a 6 foot blade doesnt scare me as much as getting bopped by a buckler or bitten by a crazy lady.

I understand peoples mouths are full of bacteria and a bite could eventually be fatal in the dark ages but if you tried to bite someone in a fight with swords you'd probably get your head cut off

Titanodragon
01-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Ubi is following some strange logic where the smaller a weapon is the more deadly. i.e. a highlander swinging a 6 foot blade doesnt scare me as much as getting bopped by a buckler or bitten by a crazy lady.

I understand peoples mouths are full of bacteria and a bite could eventually be fatal in the dark ages but if you tried to bite someone in a fight with swords you'd probably get your head cut off

That and biting threw metal and leather is kinda hard and most like painful

UbiInsulin
01-29-2018, 08:37 PM
Enter the Thick Meta.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1jnyRP4DorCh2/giphy.gif

We have let the team know that there's some concern about the preponderance of Assassins lately.

Tundra 793
01-29-2018, 08:41 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/1jnyRP4DorCh2/giphy.gif

We have let the team know that there's some concern about the preponderance of Assassins lately.

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/youre_awesome_jensen_ackles.gif

Knight_Raime
01-29-2018, 09:11 PM
I typically label characters assassins more by how they play and feel rather than the label the devs gave them, ex; Aramusha is a 'hybrid' officially, but to me hes still a dude with low HP who gets in my grill and spams lights. whatever he is a hybrid of, its certainly one part assassin, and one part not a heavy

so in my eyes our DLC roster was 4 assassins, one hybrid and one heavy

ah okay I understand you.

yes I really only duel.

The_B0G_
01-30-2018, 03:26 AM
Most matches I've seen lately are mostly assassins, I see a lot of LBs lately with all 3 grenade feats on as well.

I parried an Orochi that was being super turtley today and he parried my HL light attack afterwards, not sure whats up there but assumed it was because of lag.

I have high hopes for HL major balance, any buff will be much appreciated.

It's very hard to fight aggressive light spamming characters with him.

Tyrjo
01-30-2018, 08:20 AM
On console the assassin meta has been prevalent for quite a while. 30FPS together with fast lights, soft feints you have like 100ms to react to, is making it really hard to counter the most powerful assassins.

PDXGorechild
01-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Numbers wise, there are too many Assassins. That much is obvious what with 1/3 of the roster being pure Assassins plus a few hybrids. But in terms of balance I don't really see it as a huge problem.

I'd much rather fight a team of Assassins in 4v4 than the Raider/Lawbringer/Nobushi/Centurion gank brigades going about. Swap any of those with a good Aramusha and you've got yourself an Assassin meat grinder team. If peoples concerns about Assassins are aimed toward 1v1, I get that. But the stuns/charges/disablers that some of the heavies, vanguards and hybrids get are far more valuable in an organised 4v4 team game than spammable light attacks and fast dodges.

I'd like to see more heavies too, but purely for variety.

SwellChemosabe
01-31-2018, 06:24 PM
Yeah i'm starting to notice that about half of my games have like 5 assassins altogether in a match.

I'm a little torn on the issue at hand.

I've played assassin characters for the majority of the year, berserker and orochi in particular, so knowing how hard it is to learn all the moves and then perfect them makes me want to appreciate that more players are taking on the challenge as well. However, i'm getting real tired of fighting other assassins. I know the moves, so it's not very hard to beat them, some of them are better than i am so i learn something new everytime i lose, but give me something different. I wanna play against raiders, warlords, conquerors, shugoki's, hell even a Valkyrie every once in a while if not more. Where'd all these mains go?

Also i'm not gonna bash on other players, we all like to have fun, but it'd be nice if the particularly salty players could refrain from playing my main, you're making zerker look bad my dudes, don't do that to him, he's been good to us.

Devils-_-legacy
01-31-2018, 08:50 PM
I want to see more vanguards then heavy's I feel we need a good jack of trades that suits the acrtype other then assassin that's the best all rounder(shaman)