PDA

View Full Version : When to GB after parry?

bartolus6
01-23-2018, 09:09 AM
Hello, could someone tell me why sometimes after parry i can easily GB my opponent, while sometimes he goes too far away from me, so when i try to GB him i miss and then he GB me…

Alustar.
01-23-2018, 09:21 AM
Usually this happens when I fight heroes with longer reaches (Kensei, valkyrie, Nobushi, Raider, highlander) by the time the parry animating had reset both to neutral to allow for the follow up gb your hero is usually too far away.

BarbeQMichael
01-23-2018, 10:11 AM
Depends on the character and attack which you parried. Mostly these:

Usually this happens when I fight heroes with longer reaches (Kensei, valkyrie, Nobushi, Raider, highlander) by the time the parry animating had reset both to neutral to allow for the follow up gb your hero is usually too far away.
and Lawbringer, but for Raider, I have never been out of gb range when playing him or against him. Don't know if it's just blind luck or is there something to it.
But some other heroes can be out of range too, like if you parry shinobi's zone he will too far to punish

Klingentaenz3r
01-23-2018, 10:32 AM
Hi, as alustar stated correctly these are typical examples of characters with longer ranges. Though Gladiator and Lawbringer have to be added to this list too. Not sure about the raider though.

The rule of thumb is you can't GB after a heavy parry of those long ranged heroes if they throw it from mid range or so. There are a few variables and exceptions. If they are really close (and/or if there is a wall nearby) you can still gb them.

Shugoki can usually gb those characters heavies no matter what (he reaches far)

The usual punish after parrying an out of range character heavy is a light or any other attack which is quick and reaches far enough.

If you parry the light attacks you get a GB (although a top-damage heavy is usually the much preferable choice instead of a gb that gives you at most the weakest one of your heavies guaranteed). The exception here is Nobushi who is the character with the longest range. You won't get a GB on her unless again you're playing a Shugoki - he gets a GB on everything no matter what.

The punishments for Nobushi's lights vary from character to character. A Warden can get a Top Heavy after a light parry. Centurion can use his parry counter to close in the gab, Orochi his top lights, as a few examples

bartolus6
01-23-2018, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, since im playing mostly centuriun, its not a big problem because i can kick opponent after parry for guaranteed heavy. One more thing – sometimes after parry, when opponent goes far away from me i can Lion’s Pounce him, then charged Jab, and then Eagle’s talons, but sometimes im blocked. Can’t check it ATM (no friends active), but is it always guaranteed? Or maybe some chars can block it?