PDA

View Full Version : Map rating system

sly6276
01-22-2018, 03:21 AM
Hi everyone, i wanted to make a suggestion on how the map rating system cauld be improved! First off 0 to five stars is fine but it doesn't stop down votes from crippling some maps, so here is my solution! Remove the dislike option all together and and only allow people to vote 0 to 5 stars! In this way a map can only (rise) not fall. More stars meens you rise faster then some one with less stars, but allso means your map wont go down, it will just not go up! I think this system cauld work.

AKAFootloose
01-22-2018, 03:07 PM
I also am in favor of the 5 star voting system with no "dislike" in it. However, that does not mean a map cannot go down. Say a map currently has 4 stars and gets several 1 or 2 star votes, it will drop below 4 stars.

truesurv1val
01-22-2018, 03:36 PM
If there is a way too dislike a map or downvote in anyway, it will get abused. There too many haters, jealous people, people who think their map will stand out if they take out the competition.

All systems are doomed to fail if you give negative people a tool for their abuse. I guess only positive voting have a chance of working.

Fallen-Champ
01-22-2018, 03:41 PM
It is simple no company likes to have a bad name so that says no one likes been disliked so why have such an option in the game, sure the star rating can be abused by groups down voting the same was as it can be abused by groups up voting and generally if someone has lots of friends they would expect to get more votes and higher ratings than someone with very few friends that's just life.

To have a dislike button I am against that, at the time of clicking publishing most are happy with their work and believe it to be good so having people dislike it is not nice at all, Facebook just has the option to like and not dislike.

I guarantee if it showed up the persons gamertag who disliked then you would have a lot of problems with people falling out and sending each other hate messages so why have it at all.
As already said it won't change the outcome if one person doesn't like another they can down vote the map just the same as they could have disliked it - still I would rather see the dislike option removed.

AW LOST SOLDIER
01-22-2018, 03:54 PM
A group of haters could still down vote a map. Like they could vote 0 or 1 and a map of 4 or 5 rating will drop.
Low life haters will always find a way to bring your map rating down. i just ignore ratings on my maps. if someone has to resort to bringing down your ratings, you have already won and they have lost :) forget the ratings and the haters and just enjoy map building. the haters will always lose.

sly6276
01-22-2018, 04:09 PM
I understand what you mean but what imean is that ubisoft cauld make it so that if you have 4 stars for example and someone only voted 0 stars it shauld not go down in star rating but instead it wauld reman where it is.

AKAFootloose
01-22-2018, 04:13 PM
That would just render the rating system pointless. Every map would have 5 stars. If a map gets less star vote it should go down.

AW LOST SOLDIER
01-22-2018, 04:23 PM
If someone hates on me because of my maps i just get even more motivated, i just make sure my next map frustrates them even more :)

sly6276
01-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Ahh i never thought of that! But surely there are allready lots of five star maps but there still in different positions! So it wauld just be acase of how many people give you a five star rating. Lets say for example you published a map and someone voted 5 stars for your map that doesn't mean your map instantly gets an overall rating off five stars, it wauld just mean it wauld send your map up a bit in the list. It cauld take lots of five star votes to actualy get your map a five star rating. Hope that makes sense. Ps thank for everyones replies :)

Alpha_sgt_14
01-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Or I guess we could do away with the rating system all together. Build a system where you can only upvote. That sort of eliminates those who troll or spam. If you didn't like the map just don't upvote it, simple as that. Also, you can still find popular maps by the amount of upvotes it has vs those with less. Idk, I'm just spitballing here :(

sly6276
01-22-2018, 04:44 PM
Thats exactly what i mean. A 0 star rating cant make a map drop it just wont rise untill someone votes at least 1 star.

AKAFootloose
01-22-2018, 05:04 PM
In a 5 star rating system, there is no "dislike' button. Also there is no "0". Only 1-5 stars.You will never find a perfect system as the people voting are not perfect. But I think the 5 star system would work better than what we have now. If your map doesn't rate very good there is a reason for it. Everybody likes different things but the rating system is designed to represent the AVERAGE players opinion as to whether the map was fun to play. It does not mean it is a good map or a bad map but if you want ratings make you map FUN to play.

sly6276
01-22-2018, 05:14 PM
I don’t see why they can’t add a 0 star rating! 0 to five stars sounds doable too me

sly6276
01-22-2018, 05:16 PM
I don’expect a perfect system just an improved one.

sly6276
01-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Actuaualy i do see your point! A 0 star option is pointless, just upvote or Don't vote wauld be an improvement to the current system:)

Fallen-Champ
01-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Back in the day on Consoles with the Instincts series there was no ratings system so to find out which maps were popular you could tell because multiple people would be hosting them online.
Far Cry 2 brought in the ratings system and map browser, there is good and bad with everything and nothing is perfect.

ALS is correct in what he said about haters voting down a map, if you make a good map you know it's a good map and if you are happy with it that's all that matters, if others don't like it then that's there issue.

If I like a map I will play it no matter who it's by or what others think but the map I like someone else could really hate it so there will never be 100% fair system because we can't force people to say they like a map if they don't and also it can take 3-4-5 times to learn a map layout or to play one properly so don't get upset over votes just enjoy making and playing maps and take no notice.

sly6276
01-22-2018, 08:42 PM
I never played far cry instincts predator but i did have far cry 2 and far cry 3. Ireally liked far cry 2, its whan got me into map making. I never published any maps on far cry 2 but i did publish my first map called dry docked on far cry 3 ps3 and ever since then ive been hooked. I wish we cauld get far cry 3 remasterd for ps4 because i loved the editor in that one.

Steve64b
01-23-2018, 05:52 PM
As a feedback tool, the map rating system sucks. If someone gives any bonus or malus to a map, they can't tell the map maker why they did it. Did they die too much? Did they miss a wingsuit? Was the AI too difficult? Were there too many AI, was the terrain pretty bad? Did they love the rocket launcher?

As a recommendation system, the map rating system could work. However, different players have different likes so someone liking invulnerability&infinite ammo in a map may rate a map highly while others won't due to it being no challenge.A better recommendation system could use different factors, stats (average playtime/stealth completion chance/difficulty) as well as social factors (your friends liked...). Those aspects take into account the personal nature of fun, rather than try and capture it in a numeric scale.

AW LOST SOLDIER
01-23-2018, 06:12 PM
They should just scrap the star ratings and just have a recommend button, if you like the map hit recommend, so each time someone hits recommend, a symbol changes colour over time from red low rec's to orange,yellow and best would be green, but to get to green recommended symbol it should take about 100 hits.

Fallen-Champ
01-23-2018, 06:29 PM
As a feedback tool, the map rating system sucks. If someone gives any bonus or malus to a map, they can't tell the map maker why they did it. Did they die too much? Did they miss a wingsuit? Was the AI too difficult? Were there too many AI, was the terrain pretty bad? Did they love the rocket launcher?
Far Cry 3 had something similar Steve, you would get negative or positive feedback so if there was too much or too little sniping or bad spawns or a whole number of things the map could be tagged.

The problem was that people are lazy and they just tag the first thing they have to so they can go on to the next map, it isn't fool proof either I have played a map I didn't like then later played it several more times and enjoyed it so each map can have a learning curve we need to know the layouts and stuff to get the best experience on a map, it is nice to know where things are.

AKAFootloose
01-23-2018, 08:54 PM
That is the kind of things we had in the Ubisoft Community Maps web site that we no longer have. There was a place to leave comments but it almost never worked due to not being able to login most of the time.

Fallen-Champ
01-23-2018, 10:09 PM
I think some people can be frustrated when they download a map to find it isn't what they hoped / wanted so possibly they leave a bad rating without playing it properly (not a huge number but it will happen)

Back when I first started playing Instincts I used Xlink Kai not Xbox Live so the console worked through your PC and connected with other consoles and you got 16 players online just the same as XBL.

The good thing is you could Host and write a description so you might say Race Map 12 vehicles large or Small Aggressive map with explosions - or Large natural styled map with sniping.
People knew what they were joining so if they didn't like the description then they generally didn't go into the match.

Just saying if maps were labelled better and found better it might possibly help a little so if I tag mine as all Indoor and someone could search for Indoor maps then they would get more in their search that would suit their needs instead of browsing through lots of maps looking for stuff - the result could be the customer in a happier mood so they might rate the map properly (one can only hope)

truesurv1val
01-23-2018, 11:59 PM
Welll in my opinion the star rating is flawed. Good quality maps will get voted down. The rating doesnt say anything on quality. But ratings do matter, cause the masses of player will only see and play the highest rated maps, in general.

Ubi has tried several things now, so hope they get it right this time around. I realize there is no perfect system. But if its up to me, the best system is the one positive vote per person per map.

About labeling, in fc3 they were on the right way. The only mistake was, giving the public the option to label the map. Dont you think the maker who spent hours on the map know it better how to label their own map?

Viragoxv535
01-24-2018, 12:19 AM
The ability to only upvote and the more you play the map the more weight your vote gains. On a scale 1 to 5 - unreviewed maps start at 1 - playing those maps it's like if you voted 1 and can only get them to a maximum of 3 . On the other hand upvoted maps go straight to 3 and the vote can reach a max of 5 the longer you play on it.

AKAFootloose
01-24-2018, 12:55 AM
I'm a little bewildered here. Some of you are saying a well made quality map should get a high rating whether it is fun to play or not? Is that It? The maps are rated by the very people playing the maps, and if they didn't enjoy the map they say so with votes. I am on PC and as far as I can tell the rating system works pretty good but it can be improved. Unfortunately that is not he case on Consoles. The rating system on consoles is broken. So, what are some of you saying? Should map be judged by quality or enjoyment? They are not the same thing. Ubisoft needs to bring back the FEATURED section and keep it updated so these quality maps that fell through the cracks can get a little exposure other than a short time on a NEW list. All we can do is make our voices heard. I don't mean about what we don't like but ideas about how to make it better. So if you want a rating system based on the quality of the maps, come up with some ideas on how to implement that. Most players don't even want to take the time to vote so it needs to be something simple.

Viragoxv535
01-24-2018, 12:58 AM
I'm a little bewildered here. Some of you are saying a well made quality map should get a high rating whether it is fun to play or not?

According to what i proposed if it's not fun it means you're not playing it as much and therefore doesn't get a higher rating.

So if you want a rating system based on the quality of the maps, come up with some ideas on how to implement that.

Done that :p

sly6276
01-24-2018, 03:12 AM
I think we definately need a feedback system because some plays will downvote your map for whatever reason. But the map creater has no idea what is wrong with it, so they Don't how to fix it and improve there map building skills.

AW LOST SOLDIER
01-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Just forget about ratings. if some sad little idiot gets frustrated by you being a much better mapper than him and he wants to brighten up his day by down voting your maps, let him crack on. at the end of the day you are still the better map builder :) just keep building maps and keep frustrating them haters :)

Steve64b
01-24-2018, 01:51 PM
It'd be helpful to have some feedback system on maps. Facebook group is OK, but rather closed off. I think something a bit more public could help expose the map editor online and draw in more players/mappers.

Maybe Ubisoft will bring back the Community Maps site they had with FC4. If that doesn't work out however, and if FC5 has a similar construction to Far Cry 4, I could perhaps expand my http://maps.farcry.eu site a bit.

I can't automatically retrieve the map/creator names for my site. But if the map makers would submit their own map names, I could implement some additional quality/feedback control systems on the site to facilitate map management. Like filtering out "low-effort" maps and map duplicates, something I've been adding recently. :)

sly6276
01-24-2018, 10:57 PM
@ AW LOST SOLDER thnx for the support, and you are right i will just keep building and improving them :)

AW LOST SOLDIER
01-25-2018, 09:18 AM
@ AW LOST SOLDER thnx for the support, and you are right i will just keep building and improving them :)

Just keep building :)

AlexoEx0
02-02-2018, 08:02 AM
A star rating system would be better than an upvote/downvote because, as you mention yourself, there are larger parameters to set quality.

Brigading could still happen, but rest assured, the best maps are always going to overwhelming be positively rated, so there's no need of worrying about a map getting cripples cause a few peple dislike/0-star it.