PDA

View Full Version : Only Great Escape survivor to fly an ME-109 in the BOB movie in 1969

The.Tyke
10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Wing Commander Tim Thomas AFC , OBE. -the only survivor of the Stalg Luft 111 ''Great Escape '' at Sagan to play a Luftwaffe pilot and actually fly a ME-109 Fighter in the 1969 ''Battle of Britain'' movie- has died aged 87.
TIM Thomas was captured in thye 1943 Great Escape as he exited the tunnel entrance and was spared by the guards.
He was liberated at the end of thew war but in 1969 the producers offered him the role of a Luftwaffe pilot in the movie ''TheBattle of Britain'' starring Sir Larry Olivier, Kenneth More and loads of other big screen names and Tim not only played a Luftwaffe piolt but got to fly one of the Spanish owned ME-109'S on screen in the acton sequences on screen

The.Tyke
10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Wing Commander Tim Thomas AFC , OBE. -the only survivor of the Stalg Luft 111 ''Great Escape '' at Sagan to play a Luftwaffe pilot and actually fly a ME-109 Fighter in the 1969 ''Battle of Britain'' movie- has died aged 87.
TIM Thomas was captured in thye 1943 Great Escape as he exited the tunnel entrance and was spared by the guards.
He was liberated at the end of thew war but in 1969 the producers offered him the role of a Luftwaffe pilot in the movie ''TheBattle of Britain'' starring Sir Larry Olivier, Kenneth More and loads of other big screen names and Tim not only played a Luftwaffe piolt but got to fly one of the Spanish owned ME-109'S on screen in the acton sequences on screen

M_Gunz
10-21-2008, 05:28 PM
I remember reading Paul Reid's "Escape From Colditz" long ago. That one would make a good movie
(The Great Escape was one H of a movie wasn't it?) and it did have a glider IIRC.

Beaufort-RAF
10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
I remember reading Paul Reid's "Escape From Colditz" long ago. That one would make a good movie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=44xNDYgmzTo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WTE_Galway
10-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Its odd to think that 1969 was not really that long after the second world war.

Roughly the same time in the past for people in 1969 as the first Afghanistan and gulf wars are to us now.