PDA

View Full Version : Bigotry and Hatespeech in For Honor and why it's harming this game.

Archeun
01-21-2018, 12:53 AM
I've noticed a very disturbing trend lately in For Honor. Video games tend to have very immature people and I get that. If you point out flaws or issues within a game system; you're labeled a *** or a whiny *****.

It's become so prevalent that I firmly believe that Ubisoft needs to actually do something constructive to stop it.

The vitriol and ignorance that spews out of some peoples ignorant mouths is not surprising but it's harmful to the game. People don't want to play a game with a bunch of immature loudmouth punks who are willing to spew out stupidity because they are behind a keyboard but most certainly would never say the things they say in person to someone. It not only shows a complete lack of basic manners but it shows a very large amount of ignorance, bigotry, stupidity and flat out hatefulness. I get it. Video games have immature and ignorant people. That doesn't excuse people from their behavior. The vast majority of us have paid for this game as well. I don't think it should be acceptable to simply attack people with hate speech that is completely unacceptable in the vast majority of the civilized world.

Let me help some of you out.

1. The word "***got" is thrown around constantly. You may not be aware of this but it's actually a hate crime to target people and attack their sexuality. Ubisoft needs to make it very clear that this type behavior and wording is unacceptable and should not only suspend players for it but should outright ban them from the game after 1 instance of it. I see it constantly and I don't know if Ubisoft simply doesn't care or if they aren't paying attention to it.

2. Attacking people's families. Not only is it pathetic but it's cowardly. See 1. If you wouldn't say it to someones face; don't say it online.

3. The word C***. I see this thrown around pretty regularly.

Why am I bringing this up? I couldn't care less what people say. Someone who attacks me or my family online is a pathetic and worthless excuse for an individual. They are likely unsuccessful in life or have other issues. I don't hate people like that; I pity them.

Having said that; people like this are a huge problem within the game itself. People want to play games to have a good time. People don't want to listen to homophobic or bigotry being spewed out by a bunch of keyboard warriors who need to insult people to feel like they are tough and important.

I'm fine with cussing in general and the competitive games can bring out unhealthy vitriol. What I am referring to is the blatant and disrespectful rhetoric that deeply offends people and is designed to degrade and hurt them. It speaks volumes to your character, if you do it, regardless of the forum in which you do so. If you regularly do this in video games, just take a few moments to think if you would want your family or fellow employees (if you have a job) to see what you say while playing a game.

BTTrinity
01-21-2018, 01:02 AM
Gonna be honest, this is NOT what they need to worry about in their game. Mute the player, report him, move on.

This game has far bigger issues than someone threatening your family and calling you a ***got. People on the forums, sure. but in game, banning someone for calling you a name? really?

Archeun
01-21-2018, 01:09 AM
I agree. They have many other things to fix. The playerbase is small as it is. I'm also not saying ban people for calling you a name. What I'm saying is, harsh punishments need to be enacted on people who actively harrass and attack other people using a wide variety of hate speech. The game needs to bring in players who want to play the game and have fun; not players who get off on being ***-hats and insulting people like children. They run off players.

Archeun
01-21-2018, 01:10 AM
On that note though. Is there a way to mute players to not see what they type?

UbiInsulin
01-21-2018, 01:17 AM
Hi Archeun! First of all I do want to thank you for giving your take on this, and for letting us know that there's room to improve here. In-game toxicity is definitely a topic that the dev team looks at, so please know that they take the issue seriously. All of the behavior you've described here is completely unacceptable and contrary to the FH Code of Conduct.

Unfortunately I will need to close this thread, simply because threads of this kind tend to get super-toxic. Please know that we do enforce the Code of Conduct (https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1548873), and any in-game hate speech can result in the offending account being banned. You can report any behavior along these lines using the process outlined here (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000026238/For-Honor-Report-a-Player-FH-PC-XB1-PS4).

For reference:

Any language or content deemed illegal, dangerous, threatening, abusive, obscene, vulgar, defamatory, hateful, racist, sexist, ethically offensive or constituting harassment is forbidden. This includes use of the above on the forums, via the in-game chat, or over VOIP.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further concerns.