PDA

View Full Version : [Feedback Request] What Do You Wish To See In A Good Tutorial?

Ubi-O5
01-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Hey Annoholics,

during yesterdays Roundtable (https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1826610-Roundtable-ideas-and-feedback), the Community talked to us about Tutorials and we wanted to know your Opinion and Wishes in a bit more detail than general feedback threads would allow us.

There's many different methods to design a Tutorial. Very often, the focus is on the New Player Experience, for people who might not even have touched an Anno game before, but Veterans profit from Tutorials too, either as a refresher or a reminder on how certain mechanics work or have changed.

So let us know your thoughts! Are you fans of tutorialmissions? Or just want hint-texts? Or even a built-in wiki? Let us know in this thread!

AgmasGold
01-18-2018, 08:19 PM
I will post here what I mentioned in the chat on Wednesday (during the roundtable) - The tutorial needs to be variable, so that veterans like me can skip the parts of it that are very similar to previous Anno games, and newbies can still be eased into the game and be comfortable with its controls and concepts. Basically, don't force players to first click this then that, have it so parts of it can be skipped if necessary.

Also, have an option to re-enable it, in case someone skips through a new mechanic accidentally - it would be a small change, but in games in the past when I have accidentally skipped an important part of the tutorial and have had no way to go back and learn what I have missed - it would help avoid a frustrating experience. Either this, or some kind of in game "cheat sheet" would do the same job, so a certain mechanic can be brushed up on and checked by a player.

Tutorial missions are a more immersive way to learn the game, and in conjunction with hints and tips, I feel form the best experience - as long as they are not frustratingly slow and easy. It could be a difficult balance between new and veteran players.

VolkanGurgeh
01-19-2018, 09:31 AM
On a wiki, I don't think you'll be able to outdo a fan wiki. Most in game wikis I've seen just don't have the detail to be considered relevant. With the exception of Civ V (and that must have taken a lot of man hours) I've never been satisifed with an in game wiki and just use an online version instead. That's just a waste of dev time in my eyes.

So I think it was nailed in Anno 2070. The whole initial campaign was effectively a tutorial. But it didn't feel like one. Think of Portal. 80% of that game is basically a tutorial. Teaching you every step of the way. The features in Anno 2070 were slowly revealed to me over time. And it felt less like a campaign legth tutorial and more like an engaging reveal of new mechanics and gameplay elements.

I'd like to link a video. It's a series by a guy who runs a game consulting company. And everything in it is so relevant. Just bear with the cartoony style. There is a wealth of information int here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCPcn-Q5nKE The main takeaway for me are:

1. For the love of god don't make me read. I'm the fastest reader I know and I still hate seeing text in tutorials.
2 . Don't try and teach me everything at minute one. Just hide the content until I'm ready. I'll forget everything later or skip the tutorial.

alleria.sb
01-19-2018, 04:19 PM
What AgmasGold says makes a lot of sense to me: a good campaign-like tutorial eases a new player into the game and makes a big difference in how they first perceive the game.

For veteran players, it would make sense that they can go 'fast-forward' to skip tutorial bits they already know, or that they can selectively view topics that are for more advanced game play to find how to refine in greater detail what it is that they are doing, for example. Feature-tutorials or even small help-like sections / wikis would help in situations where you can't figure out how to use something or how it fits in the greater context: these would help you make a decision on whether you want/don't want to use that feature, and what benefit it would bring you if you did use it; also, how to use it.

I keep referring back to examples from Anno 2205 because this version is fresh in my memory: you had Global Markets and you had Research--both fun features, but you can play without them, too, I found. During the game you get notified about these features when you reach them, then you have a quick look around and either get them to work right away (if they are intuitive enough for you) or you drop them for the time being (when you're busy dealing with something else in the game and you can't get them up and running fast enough). So, when you hit a new feature, or even when you come back to it at a later time, having the option to do a quick tutorial on it, or to simply read about how it works and what's the concept behind it, e.g. how you can make it work in your favour / how it can work against you, would get you up to speed pretty fast. I'm saying "read" because text and pictures/diagrams is what works best for me, but I'm sure you can find more appropriate ways to present the information.

Another way of presenting features, especially for more advanced players, is through short missions that they can only win by making use of a specific feature, sometimes to a very detailed level. An example from Magic the Gathering tutorials: you get a battlefield layout and a hand of cards, and you need to win the game in the next round. At that point, the only way to accomplish the goal is to make use of a specific ability on a card, while sometimes also having to create the right context for it (tapping the right colour/amount of mana, casting the spells in the right order and with the right targets, etc.). Applied to Anno, a short feature tutorial would come with a preset game situation and a challenging goal, and possibly some hints on how to accomplish the goal; other ways of reaching the same outcome should not be possible at that point: limited or no resources, military lockdown, etc.

Hope this helps. Thank you for listening!

iruet
01-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Good question Chris. I kinda like the archive you have at TSO, it's easy to look back at a piece of the tutorial, although it's incomplete...

I think a good tutorial is something which allows you to press buttons yourself without killing the game. I always skip the tutorials cozz I wanne find out myself and if I don't understand it, I ask other players ^^ If the game is understandable in what to do, you barely need a tutorial. For me personally I would want to toggle certain parts of the tutorial on and off, or make a special tutorial map containing the different tutorials, for instance:

trade tutorial
how to play
ships tutorial
economics tutorial
etc

By doing this, people wo want to do the tutorial can do this over and over again, without being intervered in the actual gameplay for the experienced players. This allows people to choose if they want to use the tutorial, or if they want to play without going through the tutorial. I would say make one tutorial that covers everything and make several chapters you can visit independantly. So like the how to play in the list above would be the complete tutorial, the other parts are important chapters from that tutorial. And as said above, let players make wiki's, those are usually more reliable and those do not take that much time so the devs can spend more time on developing the gameplay and add something they wouldn't have done otherwhise.

Darenk42
01-22-2018, 05:24 PM
I think a mini campaign tutorial would be fun. It is always pretty dry if it is text after text, but if you put it into a little story it might be more interesting. If I remember correctly Anno 1404 did that and it worked fine for me. Plus it is less daunting to new players if concepts are introduced in the game environment itself and it can be used as a template for a sandbox game. But as others said before, make it possible for more experienced players to skip it.

ruuti0
01-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Hello!

I am personally not a fan of tutorial missions, never been in any game.

From my experience they are way too slow way to learn game, it takes too long time to carry them out compared to other alternatives.

I am big fan of hint-texts (that you could turn on or off) and (built-in) wiki. Those tell you much faster how to do something.
In my opinion it is better way for both new people and for Anno veterans, that they can use hint-texts and/or wiki.
If I have to choose between hint-texts and wiki, I would say wiki.

I have myself many times in past used different Anno wikis online to get information how to do something that I didn't know how to do and they worked perfect and I am sure that built-in Anno wiki would work too as good.

If you are going to add tutorials to Anno 1800, I as Anno series veteran hope there will be also option to skip them too, because there is big chance that tutorials try teach things that we already know or things that we want to learn by playing the game / other way.

banan1996.1996
01-24-2018, 07:54 PM
I like tutorial missions. But as others already said you should be able to skip parts of it as it might be boring otherwise, especially for veterans (like me :D). I didn't like that campaings in Anno 1404 and 2070 actually served a role of a tutorial. They told us a story but they really led me by hand - for me they presented no challenge. A story-telling campaing should be definately separated from the tutorial.

I really liked hint-texts in Anno 1404 which appeared next to quests on the left of the screen. We could disable them totally or make them appear very soon or very late after relevant situation occured.

I didn't like the built-in wiki in Anno 2070, I never used it. If I needed I used a fan-made wiki which would always be more complex and detailed than a wiki made by developers in game. The built-in wiki was so brief that I wouldn't understand some features if I didn't know Anno beforehand.

So I prefer tutorial missions which parts can be skipped and returned to and hint-texts appearing at the side of the screen which you can read but don't have to. Leave making a wiki to fans and Annoholics, please.

Raydoovah
01-25-2018, 02:29 PM
This might not be a tutorial per se, but man, I would love for more info to be available. Then again, I guess tutorials are about giving info to the player, so...

You know how Civilization games have the civilopedia? That contains info about everything in the game?
Well I want that.

Here are examples of a frustration I had :

Anno 2070:
I wanted to know what upgrades could I get for the ark. Is this information available anywhere in full? Nope. The Wiki has less than half of the items listed.

I wanted to decide on which item to sell on my islands. The sell price was not shown anywhere. I needed that info.

I wanted to figure out how many Pasta Dishes production facilities I needed for my 10 farms. I don't know how to figure that out without either googling (and the info for 2070 is scarce AF) or counting myself.

Also don't get me started on the interface being essentially mono-colored. How am I able to quickly figure out if item A is better than item B? Gotta look for the micro-stars or read the stats. That's not cool.
Anno 1404 used great color-coding for items (the same as in WoW). And it was great. Why? Because EVERYBODY knows the WoW item colors. You don't need a tutorial for that.

So what I'm trying to say, is that if the interface is good, and the info is accessible - you don't need a tutorial for stuff, if your stuff is intuitive.

PART 2

Now, also I am a fan of seamless tutorials. Tutorials that you don't have to read (Need them, but they shouldn't be the main source of info).

So here's an example of what you could implement for newbs:

Player starts on their first island. If they don't click anything for 30 seconds - we give them an audio que to "click this button to build something".
When they open it, if it's the first island that they've settled - the market will be highlighted. After plopping the market - the houses will be.
Then the fishery...
(IIRC it was built into the game in some way)

So the idea is that this will be invisible for the Veteran player, because he'll do everything automatically. But for the newb? He's gonna see it all, and not feel like he is in a tutorial. Which is the best experience imo.

The ability to request information on a resource, say , by middle clicking on a resource (say Spices in 1404). You could click it either in the need window or inside the warehouse. This should open a popup with the info about how to get it, how much is consumed by the population and how much is produced by 1 farm at 100% productivity. Quick info tidbit that everyone would find beneficial.

So yeah, this is for starters. Might come up with more eventually.

AgmasGold
01-25-2018, 08:46 PM
http://anno2070.atspace.eu/ is a calculator you can use. Also, the wiki does have all the items, they are just split up into different categories like vehicle items and warehouse items.

An in-game wiki would be a nice feature, so you don't have to exit out the game and google everything.

OptimaForma
02-04-2018, 01:17 AM
No tutorial at all needed, i get the most fun out of learning while i do it.

Raydoovah
02-04-2018, 02:39 PM
http://anno2070.atspace.eu/ is a calculator you can use. Also, the wiki does have all the items, they are just split up into different categories like vehicle items and warehouse items.

An in-game wiki would be a nice feature, so you don't have to exit out the game and google everything.

This is the problem. I don't want a 3rd party resource to learn how many Algae Plants are needed per Functional Food Factory.

Also, there is literally no list of all the Ark Upgrades on the internet. All of them are incomplete

ruuti0
02-04-2018, 05:31 PM
This is the problem. I don't want a 3rd party resource to learn how many Algae Plants are needed per Functional Food Factory.

Also, there is literally no list of all the Ark Upgrades on the internet. All of them are incomplete

I personally think using such tools (like http://anno2070.atspace.eu/ ) is like cheating, at least in multiplayer games.

It is one part of skill in game to learn how much you need X, Y, Z for Q, W, R and so on. Then you intuitively (or maybe you know exact number in some cases) try optimize different things.

About Ark Upgrades, there is guidelines how you can get them all (I know this wasn't thing you said, but you find all Ark Upgrades yourselves if you follow guidelines):

http://anno2070.wikia.com/wiki/Academy_Research_Projects

iruet
02-05-2018, 12:38 PM
I think it'd be nice to link to mayor fansites, since those usually offer more information than BB can gather on their own :)

It can either link to fansites directly or to a Ubi thread/website which lists the mayor fansites. This way BB would only need to add the "playthrough" tutorial and not all excess information which fansites usually gather and offer :)

ruuti0
02-05-2018, 10:25 PM
I think it'd be nice to link to mayor fansites, since those usually offer more information than BB can gather on their own :)

It can either link to fansites directly or to a Ubi thread/website which lists the mayor fansites. This way BB would only need to add the "playthrough" tutorial and not all excess information which fansites usually gather and offer :)

That would be problematic at least in begin, because when game is published, it usually take quite some time that fansites actually have enough useful information. Later it might become better idea, but there are always certain risks when linking to 3rd party services.

And if they do it, it would be better if they would direct to Ubisoft forum where addresses are. Otherwise if fansites get hacked or otherwise become endangered, there could be risk that you get virus by clicking something on game / link on game. Forums can be moderated really fast if it come to knowledge that link has become dangerous, but game updates don't necessarily come as fast.

iruet
02-06-2018, 11:04 AM
That would be problematic at least in begin, because when game is published, it usually take quite some time that fansites actually have enough useful information. Later it might become better idea, but there are always certain risks when linking to 3rd party services.

And if they do it, it would be better if they would direct to Ubisoft forum where addresses are. Otherwise if fansites get hacked or otherwise become endangered, there could be risk that you get virus by clicking something on game / link on game. Forums can be moderated really fast if it come to knowledge that link has become dangerous, but game updates don't necessarily come as fast.

Yeah in the beginning that had be difficult, but in the end it helps BB/Ubi get more info which has been checked multiple times...

And yeah, the forums are great or some other sort of site... It's just an idea :)

WorldC
02-14-2018, 12:52 PM
I think the way 2205 explained itself to users was a great way of tutorials. I never really had more need for tutorials in Anno. What I was missing was a WIKI or more detailed tooltips.

In Anno 2005 it was not hard figuring out "how" to play the game. I didn't need any more explanation about how the game works and what I needed to do.
But I was missing tooltips or a kind of WIKI.

For example "Branded modules" in 2205. After 120 hours of playing I am still not understanding what you guys mean with it.
I am missing documentation !!!BUT!!! I rather have 10 options without documentation, than 1 option with good documentation. So don't spend DEV time on this if it will cost you to much time,

Tutorial.. no
Documentation or WIKI ... yes.

iruet
02-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Tutorial.. no Yes
Documentation or WIKI ... yes.

I made both a yes... Tutorial is needed for complete newbe's :)

ruuti0
02-14-2018, 10:16 PM
I made both a yes... Tutorial is needed for complete newbe's :)

Not necesserily, I learned all Annos just by playing them and there are many other people who learned them same way.

I used few times wikia sites onlines to find information on things, like good map seed codes etc. and they worked great!

AgmasGold
02-14-2018, 10:26 PM
I think some basic tutorial is a must. Someone who is familiar with these types of strategy games could definitely learn it by just playing, but someone with absolutely no prior experience playing the genre would struggle a lot trying to learn the game from nothing.

iruet
02-15-2018, 12:01 AM
I think some basic tutorial is a must. Someone who is familiar with these types of strategy games could definitely learn it by just playing, but someone with absolutely no prior experience playing the genre would struggle a lot trying to learn the game from nothing.

Yeah like that, basic is needed... later on in the game, not that much if ya ask me

I'd rather have a bad way too long lasting tutorial than none at all...

ruuti0
02-15-2018, 12:09 PM

I don't know about others, but when I first time played Anno 1602 in year 1998, I didn't have experience of any strategy games, I just learned it by playing and I didn't had any problems learning it that way, same I did with other games I ever played and never had problems with them either.

I personally think that hint-texts would be much better option for total newcomers and beginners, it would be clear and fast way to learn game.

iruet
02-16-2018, 10:54 PM
I don't know about others, but when I first time played Anno 1602 in year 1998, I didn't have experience of any strategy games, I just learned it by playing and I didn't had any problems learning it that way, same I did with other games I ever played and never had problems with them either.

I personally think that hint-texts would be much better option for total newcomers and beginners, it would be clear and fast way to learn game.

I think those are really annoying, cozz u need to close them everytime u gotten a hint... Loads of unnecessari clicking if ya ask me

Also you need to press buttons with those texts, which makes it a tutorial...

ruuti0
02-17-2018, 11:49 AM
I think those are really annoying, cozz u need to close them everytime u gotten a hint... Loads of unnecessari clicking if ya ask me

Also you need to press buttons with those texts, which makes it a tutorial...

What you just said doesn't make any sense, because first you say you like tutorials (earlier post), then you say that you don't like hint texts, and then you say hint texts makes it a tutorial..

And first of all, nobody say you have to close them everytime you get them, its all depend how they are made and I don't think Anno devs would made them that way that you would waste your time closing them. I have seen 10x more games that use hint texts that don't require closing them each time than seeing games that require it.

Secondly they can be added so that they don't pope up to your eyes, but come with small font.

Third, you could of course disable them if you feel you don't like them or need them.

And fourth, hint texts doesn't make it a tutorial(mission). Tutorialmissions (at least I was speaking about tutorialmissions) and hint texts during normal gameplay are two different thing. In later option gameplay is totally normal except that you get hint texts that tell you how to do normal stuff, in tutorialmissions it is outside of normal game and you are forced to do things that tutorial try to teach and when tutorial is over, so is everything you did in tutorial and you can't continue it but you have to start another tutorial that teach different thing, in normal game you can save your game and load it later.

WorldC
02-22-2018, 10:28 AM
I think some tools are sometimes useful and other times not. Usually you have options to enable or disable certain types of tips.

In my case I goes like this.

- I buy a game and start with the functional tutorial. The walktrough/first few missions of the campaign. All the tips in the loadingscreens I ignore at this point. I only use Tooltips in specific cases when I don't know anymore what to do.
- After a few hours I stop the tutorial/walktrough and start gaming on my own. At this point I also start reading the loading screens tips and start searching for more tooltips.

This way the information is flowing segmented towards my brain. With the walktrough tutorial I am learning what the game is, and the overall plan. And with the tooltips I start learning skill.

Before I want to know all the small details, I first want to know what the game is and what the plan is.

iruet
02-28-2018, 05:40 PM
I think some tools are sometimes useful and other times not. Usually you have options to enable or disable certain types of tips.

In my case I goes like this.

- I buy a game and start with the functional tutorial. The walktrough/first few missions of the campaign. All the tips in the loadingscreens I ignore at this point. I only use Tooltips in specific cases when I don't know anymore what to do.
- After a few hours I stop the tutorial/walktrough and start gaming on my own. At this point I also start reading the loading screens tips and start searching for more tooltips.

This way the information is flowing segmented towards my brain. With the walktrough tutorial I am learning what the game is, and the overall plan. And with the tooltips I start learning skill.

Before I want to know all the small details, I first want to know what the game is and what the plan is.

I like this way, I never thought of it that way :)

WorldC
03-05-2018, 08:24 PM
I like this way, I never thought of it that way :)

Thanks!.... I have a friend who declares me idiot for doing it this way... his words "Just read some websites and you know what to do"
And in essence he is correct. But I start looking on site after all the above.

Once I THINK I own the game, I start looking online for pro-tips. I hate starting to read a guide before even playing. Usually most of the guides tend to walk different routes and philosophies. Especially in games like ANNO there are a 1000 ways to "own" the game.

But sure usually after a week I join the forums of a game and start reading some of the datamining/Pro tips.

I think the devs here have a great question and I have read all the comments. It's interesting to see how other people take this.

Within my job I sometimes train new people on a Servicedesk. And I think I do it the same way as learning a game. First one needs to understand the concept, than the basics, and lastly some troubleshooting or fine details.

Implementing detail without understanding the grand plan usually results in a "custom" solution/ workaround. You tend to find complex solution to a complex problem, while you should have thought "why is the problem complex in the first place" , and first try to change to problem.

A customer question could be
"Hi Servicedesk, I am getting lost. 1 customer want 2 ENTERS between some text to differentiate the important from the unimportant text. and other customers want to have TABS instead of ENTERS. I made a program which tells me how each customer wants it, but I cant run it on Windows XP"

So the problem is "can't run my program on Windows XP"

While... the actual problem is "I don't know about the Template function" ..... aka he doesn't need the program in the first place.

Something like that.... :)
I tend to find myself building extreme solutions for the wrong problem in the past with gaming :)

iruet
03-05-2018, 11:24 PM
Thanks!.... I have a friend who declares me idiot for doing it this way... his words "Just read some websites and you know what to do"
And in essence he is correct. But I start looking on site after all the above.

Once I THINK I own the game, I start looking online for pro-tips. I hate starting to read a guide before even playing. Usually most of the guides tend to walk different routes and philosophies. Especially in games like ANNO there are a 1000 ways to "own" the game.

But sure usually after a week I join the forums of a game and start reading some of the datamining/Pro tips.

I think the devs here have a great question and I have read all the comments. It's interesting to see how other people take this.

Within my job I sometimes train new people on a Servicedesk. And I think I do it the same way as learning a game. First one needs to understand the concept, than the basics, and lastly some troubleshooting or fine details.

Implementing detail without understanding the grand plan usually results in a "custom" solution/ workaround. You tend to find complex solution to a complex problem, while you should have thought "why is the problem complex in the first place" , and first try to change to problem.

A customer question could be
"Hi Servicedesk, I am getting lost. 1 customer want 2 ENTERS between some text to differentiate the important from the unimportant text. and other customers want to have TABS instead of ENTERS. I made a program which tells me how each customer wants it, but I cant run it on Windows XP"

So the problem is "can't run my program on Windows XP"

While... the actual problem is "I don't know about the Template function" ..... aka he doesn't need the program in the first place.

Something like that.... :)
I tend to find myself building extreme solutions for the wrong problem in the past with gaming :)

I really feel like this way you would understand more about the game, because you just press buttons and see where it ends, eventhough the ending might not be as positive as you imagined. THe only downside to this method is that you use no guide at all, which can be usefull sometimes to find out which button to push on your mouse for certain actions. I feel like your method would not need a tutorial at all, which is completely the opposite of BBs point of view if u'd ask me :)

Velerios1
03-06-2018, 09:34 PM
I feel as if an interesting to play, thus encouraging to actually complete it campaign is the best tutorial one could ask for- with Anno 1404 being a good example of smoothly increasing the difficulty level in subsequent missions, while allowing for relatively much freedom in the way the objectives are to be accomplished. Veterans can go straight to the sandbox mode and figure everything out by themselves, or feel motivated enough by the story/scripting to play through the campaign (I know i would any time of the day). There's nothing more discouraging (in my opinion that is) than an "absolute starter" tutorial that goes: "click the shiny button and build it exactly THERE. no no no, not a meter away- HERE" What is that supposed to teach anyone?

silentSN0W
03-25-2018, 12:48 AM
Would be cool if the tutorial was done like a history book of the 1800's outlining what the player will needed to know. A book titled Anno 1800's open and the pages turn to tell a story about the beginning and foundation. As the pages turn they tell a story which then cuts to the actual in game screen where the player does the steps outlined in the story, in order to progress to the next page of the story you complete the steps of that tutorial. One area all tutorial lack is an explanation of just how many choices and the depth of what the game play offers, don't just show or tell me how to place a farm but build the story around why I would want to place a farm. The tutorial should continual story of how to setup a thriving settlement including some challenges we often encounter along with pro tips built in that help to show the depth and complexity of decisions to be made in the game.

Kevin_Ar182
03-30-2018, 03:09 AM
I don't use the tutorial, but I still like having hints during gameplay that will help me learn.

*) Hints when you start a game or while a game is loading that describes some advanced concept or feature that is easy to miss (like Factorio does).
*) Plenty of stats on each building and item in the game, so it's easy to figure out what is going on just from the stats.
*) Mouseover Tooltips that describes what something is when you hover the mouse over it.

banan1996.1996
03-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Yeah, stats! Seeing lots of different stats of buildings in the build menu would be awesome! Of course things like required gold, building materials, operation costs, needed workforce but also things like how much does this production building produce per minute and how many resources does it use? Knowing that a bakery uses x tons of flour and produces y tons of bread per minute would be great.
Maybe also seeing how many people can be supplied with one bakery and things like that. Some people like to figure such things out on their own so maybe there should be an option (available all the time) to toggle "advanced stats" on or off?

Kevin_Ar182
04-03-2018, 12:41 AM
Of course things like required gold, building materials, operation costs, needed workforce but also things like how much does this production building produce per minute and how many resources does it use? Knowing that a bakery uses x tons of flour and produces y tons of bread per minute would be great.
Maybe also seeing how many people can be supplied with one bakery and things like that.
Definitely have all those kinds of stats built into the menu of each building ... and include such stats anywhere you can; it makes complex games easy to understand and play. :)

Nox_29
04-08-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here already, but I think it's very important to let you know.

A big problem I've had with 1404 and 2070 is that there is no tutorial for how to use the UI.
There has always been some kind of gameplay tutorial, like an easy first mission where they explain how to build an economy etc. But the tutorial only covers gameplay, never the User Interface. I think that's a problem. See, I have been playing 1404 for almost 10 years now and only yesterday I discovered the menu that lists al your ships. It also took me a very long time to discover things like right-click shortcuts.
Anno games have such complicated UI's that it's very hard to know all it's features without some kind of tutorial.

That's why I would like to see a tutorial that also covers the User Interface. That gives you an explanation for every menu, how you are able to customize the user interface (with shortcuts for example), etc.

Also in general I like tutorials that are in a mission format, explained by a voiced character, but also with the text available on screen so that you are able to read it again after the voice line is done talking. It's fun and immersive in my opinion.

AgmasGold
04-09-2018, 05:54 PM
In my opinion, if a game needs a tutorial for specifically for UI, then its doing something wrong. Sure, you only discovered some elements very recently, but you still managed to get by without them previously.

Maybe something for more advanced UI stuff would be warranted, but I don't think a game should need a full tutorial just for the UI.

Nox_29
04-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Maybe something for more advanced UI stuff would be warranted, but I don't think a game should need a full tutorial just for the UI.

The game doesn't need a tutorial specifically for the UI, but the UI should be included in the game's tutorial. Other strategy games do this.

Sure, you only discovered some elements very recently, but you still managed to get by without them previously.

I think if the developers put so much effort into making an extensive UI, they should make sure the users are actually using it.
I feel bad for the guy who worked hard on a menu that I only noticed after 10 years of playing :p

VladimirM2018
04-26-2018, 05:39 PM
The best strategic game is a game in which there is a factor of great variety and development. And this is the period - with a huge variety and rapid development is the XIX century: from colorful uniforms to khaki, from flint muskets to repeating rifle, from wooden ships to Dreadnoughts, global change of political formations - The Rise and Fall of Empires! 19th century - is the most rapid flowering of industry and technology, the time when new types of weapons (machine guns, mines, pointed bullets, smokeless powder, armor plates, revolvers, repeating rifle, torpedoes, submarine and dreadnoughts, dirigibles and all this can be created for specific purposes and tasks in the game
), in this period began the first ever truly global wars, and the era of the great colonial conquest, that would look great in the overall concept of the game. ( such conventional areas asAfrica, Australia, Oceania, and South America become an arena for colonial wars with local natives and between the great powers for control over spheres of influence, as well as being an object for development). No less interesting are other inventions of this era such as the steam engine, the car, the airship and bicycle. New materials: Bessemer steel, Martin steel, rubber, petroleum, plastic (celluloid), dynamite, nitroglycerin, aluminum, oil production on an industrial scale. Appeared many inventions as radio, telephone, telegraph, cinema, fotoaparat, gramophone, adding machine, canned food (potential sites for study in the civilian sector).

New features of the game:

- Antarctica was discovered in the 19th century and in this regard I propose to add "Antarctic Islands" to the game
- Several types of cultures: European, American, East Asian, " aboriginal"
- Creation of large infrastructure facilities: railway across, construction of telegraph and telephone lines. The ability to dig channels on their Islands on the type of Suez and Panama
- Politically secret societies appear, whose views contradict the current political system in the country and incite to revolution. To fight them will require the construction of a new type of building. For example, in Russia it will be Special Corps of Gendarmes and Guard Department. There it will be possible to hire two new types of agents - political adventurers, inciting revolutions in an enemy state and military scout. A military scout can be re-recruited over and even made a double agent working simultaneously for several special services.
- The new type of building - stock exchange, where on the basis of success or failure of the national economy can (or can not) to regulate the prices of those goods traded your Islands, as well as the creation of opportunities to attract capital to the country, resulting in a new revenue article- " Foreign investment". The exchange helps to establish trade relations with other NPC-players, increase the production of industrial enterprises and increase consumer demand within the your Islands, which helps to accelerate the economy. A new feature: the ability for your state to borrow money from large capital, and the exchange helps regulate borrowing rates. However, the exchange also has a downside-speculative price growth, the size of which must be constantly monitored. If they grow too much as a result of the crisis of overproduction and the sharp demand for goods, on the contrary, it will lead to a fall in trade and cause a financial crisis. It will no longer be possible to borrow money from large capital and you will have to pay your financial obligations immediately. Also, the crisis leads to the bankruptcy of existing enterprises and then they will have to be created again. At the same time, such a crisis affects other countries where there is a stock exchange. Financial crises - another feature of this game
- The XIX century is the era of rapid development of culture and science. A new opportunity in the game - to finance the arts and science. The development of culture will increase the prestige of the country in the world and improve public order, and the development of science will accelerate the process of technology research. To Finance science, it is necessary to build an Academy of Sciences, and to Finance culture to build something like the Creative Assembly:) On their basis it will be possible to build scientific laboratories, as well as group of artists and writers.
- The emergence of a strong socio-economic stratification of society and the need to fight poverty. You can either make allowances in monetary form and in the form of food or attract the poor to forced labour. In the first case, to help the poor need to allocate money from the Treasury and the food which is necessary to build the Almshouse (it increases public order, but it requires spending from the Treasury). In the second case, it is necessary to build a Workhouse, which brings a small profit and reduces poverty, but greatly worsens public order.
- Revolutionary sentiments: the struggle for electoral rights, women's rights, social contradictions and the powerlessness of the working class, the fight against unemployment. The control of freedom of speech, Assembly and the press can become a method of counteraction. For this purpose, a new type of building is being created - Newspaper Publisher in which freedom of speech can be controlled. Maximum freedom of speech will lead to the fact that the Newspaper Publishe will make a profit, but the growth of free thought can lead to a revolution. The minimum freedom of speech will require the allocation of funds from the Treasury to bribe journalists who will write custom-made pro-government articles, reducing the intensity of revolutionary sentiment. The Trade Union movement
- A new type of agent: a major industrialist. He can be employed in large factories and is designed to oversee the quality of work of industrial enterprises, improving their efficiency and productivity. Your industrialist can ruin the Industrialists of other countries, but since the 19th century is the legal age, for the realization of the ruin of another industrialist is required to build a new type of building - the Court. It is through the Court, depending on the level of the building (the Panel of Judges, the Arbitration Court, the Supreme Arbitration Court) and the skills of the industrialist, the probability with which a competitor can be ruined is determined.
- The 19th century is the era of republics, the era of parliamentarism. In the game, this will mean that if a player manages a parliamentary state, then for the functioning of such a country he will need to build a new type of building - a Parliament that improves public order, but increases corruption. The adoption of laws (edicts) in the regions is possible only if the ruling party holds the majority of seats in such a Parliament. It is possible to entice parliamentarians to the party by means of manipulation in the press (it was told earlier) or thanks to direct bribery. In the monarchical countries do not require the Parliament and the laws are easy to make, but corruption is higher by default and the development more slower. At any given time, according to the player's decision, the country can adopt a Constitution and become a parliamentary monarchy, but if the public order is not high enough, the Constitution will not be adopted and the country will remain monarchical
- The 19th century was a period of religious nihilism, which means that building churches to improve public order is no longer relevant, especially since at this time they were not built. To improve public order, a new type of building is introduced: a coffee shop, as well as exhibitions and fairs. Exhibitions can be built only with high levels of development of science (as mentioned earlier) and they greatly increase not only public order, but also the diplomatic status of the country. The fair is just a building that generates income and increases public order.

ANN0nymity
07-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Sorry for this but I don't know how to post pictures :confused:

moryz23
08-27-2018, 02:38 AM
WIth a game like Anno most features are only unlocked after hours of playing the game. Hence, it's futile to create a comprehensive tutorial as nobody enjoys investing 5+ hours into a tutorial before starting the actual game. Of course you can have a brief introduction for those completely unfamiliar with the series who want some guidance regarding the core gameplay concepts.

Apart from that most other relevant information should be conveyed to the player during the campaign or endless mode, maybe through some adviser character or side missions. Here, some sort of customization accounting for a player's experience with the Anno series would be great. Moreover, I think mouseover tooltips can really help a lot to explain certain stats or features without overloading the UI.

Rastfarian
10-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Having played lots of PC games and all of the Anno family, I really would like to see a decent tutorial on trading. I feel it could do with a step by step section as it really does effect so much of the game play.

Derek243
11-28-2018, 11:50 PM
As little text as possible. Some really bad games bombard you with 15 different tooltips at once. I close the game and abandon it.

Also consider a tutorial for new players and a different one for veteran players.

Finally, TEST your tutorial on people who have never played before. If they get confused ask questions to figure out where the confusion began so you can adjust properly.

thorpemark
11-29-2018, 02:15 AM
Been awhile since I played an Anno game and forgot how to rotate buildings. And the camera control I rather expected to be WASD.. so I needed that level of advice while it might just annoy a more recently experienced player.

kog.1
11-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Skippable tutorial campaigns would be quite useful for new players like myself.

It's advantage for already experienced players would be that it is not necessary to go through it.
For the new players a tutorial focused on economics is important since new players will struggle a lot at first. I know I am. Building structures and keeping a positive balance is the main focus for early players and the ability to not go bankrupt fast would keep them from getting frustrated fast.

Vincent88NL
12-02-2018, 05:30 PM
- movement
- interface.
- basic settlement.
- balance of civilization
- trading routes
- disasters
- expeditions
- diplomacy
- end game

Scania-Lady
12-02-2018, 06:35 PM
I like tutorial missions. And I like a wiki with explains for all the game functions.

But I agree: for the hardcore players who are bored after 3 days playing it should be skippable. Or you can create one of the tutorials with "new" functions only.

basman9691
12-02-2018, 09:23 PM
I agree with ruuti0 (https://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1838917-ruuti0). Hint Text and in game Wiki FTW.

Line541
12-07-2018, 03:30 PM
In some games. the people who make tutorial. make them so hard. its easier just to learn the game.

so try to make it simple with someone talking and you get text at the same time. and explain it easy.

As long as you dont over do it. and maybe different chapters for different things or sceniors in the game. i think that could make it easier for new people or old veterans who need to refresh. or to see whats is new.

i am huge Anno fan thats why i own every single one of them.

stylisticsagi
12-26-2018, 04:51 PM
Good tooltips are also counted in apart from a good tutorial.
Some people also like reminders of some things or some stuborn people will never play the tutorial in the first place.

What many games also lack is a good explenation of their mechanics.
-good tooltips would be explenations of each button even if it is as obvious as it is.
-what do things ingame mean, like balance how fast is this balance taking place? it would be nice to see balance chance per 10 seconds or whatever it is.
-production and productivity is it just speed or is a good productivity generating more goods without increased input?
-how to set up warehouse.
-how to set up a trade routes and some examples of diffrent options you can use.

Also the tooltips in the loading screens are often to simple.
some advanced tips are explenations can really have a place there.

SirDavidFirst
12-28-2018, 11:58 AM
I agree, playing the game and learning by playing is the only way for first-time gamers. other could just turn it off.

Veieli
01-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Learning by doing (close to how games on phones do it, without the rediculous hand holding(forcing you to only press 1 thing)

occasial tips(able to turn off and on without going through manu) and skip the tips that you already are aware off.

RazorBlade185
01-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Why not let the community make the tutorials for you? This might sound strange but e.g. Supercell is doing exactly that. They are a huge game company famous for their game Clash of Clans with clearly all the budget in the world to make their own tutorials but they imbed YouTube video's from their fans in their game.