PDA

View Full Version : Roundtable - ideas and feedback

iruet
01-17-2018, 11:11 PM
Hello all,

As you might know, there was the roundtable at the annoverse discord (https://discord.gg/V4xhZ8Z) today. Since BB is asking for feedback and ideas for the roundtable, I will start this thread about the roundtable.

What is the roundtable? It is a change for you to speak directly to BB to ask questions about anno 1800 and a whole lot more (eventhough that did not happen). This could either be done via voice or via written chat. There is a special roundtable voicechat and a special chatchannel at the annoverse discord (https://discord.gg/V4xhZ8Z).

For me, it was fun to take part in the roundtable, unfortuanatly I feel really unconfortable when speaking in English nor German, so I used chat to ask my questions.

Here is a picture of the interest for the German version (90 members there, the max was over 90):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/392152516596465664/403261661579968524/snap_screen_20180117195617.png

It was fun to listen to all the questions, some of them were really good and there were some good answers. Some answers were really vague unfortuanatly, but that is due to them not being worked on that much currently.

For me this concept worked well, there was "auto" moderation, the admins and mod didn't have to mute anyone to my knowledge. No-one talked through eachother, nice community like this! Keep on being like this and let's make this community as great as possible!

BB_Volty requested one thing: make the reddit more active, so let's kill the reddit site: https://www.reddit.com/r/anno/!

I would want to thank BB_Volty, Com_Raven and Ubi-O5 for answering our questions. Unfortuanatly not all questions have been answered, like this one:
will there be unicorns in anno 1800?
But overall it was really fun. Thank you again :)

I hope this will happen more often, that is why I made a poll out of this thread, do we want more roundtables?!

Regards,
iruet

Ubi-O5
01-18-2018, 03:38 PM
It was a fantastic opportunity to talk to so many of the community at once and we're looking forward to do it again. :)

Hopefully i can do it with my proper headset headset next time. :D

Raydoovah
01-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Deffo a great idea with the roundtables. Albeit I want to repeat my idea about having better defined subjects going into the roundtable.
It's hard to have a complex discussion when you do not know what you can/should ask about.

iruet
01-19-2018, 08:40 PM
That might be a good idea, but I liked this version too. For me it was nice to be able to ask every question we wanted to ask.... I know we can always ping Volty via Discord and he would answer some questions then, but now you have a dedicated timeframe to do this ^^

The downside with a topic is that it is hard to ask non-related questions while those may the ones you want answered... But it's at least worth the try, if it doesn't work out, you can always go back to the previous "concept".

It was a fantastic opportunity to talk to so many of the community at once and we're looking forward to do it again. :)

Hopefully i can do it with my proper headset headset next time. :D

It wasn't that bad Chris, you had better sound than Com... But I don't mind, as long as I can understand what you say I am happy... Eventhough it might sound laggy as hell

ruuti0
01-19-2018, 09:22 PM
Comment removed because I didn't undertstand idea of Discord and Roundtable because I had hurry to read about it.

Sting_McRay
01-19-2018, 10:13 PM
I have missed this first one, because of private reasons, but.... I hope i can join one in the future, so yeah, let them have an other one :)

waffeltoaster32
01-19-2018, 10:23 PM
Yeah, Im seeing my face :). I really enjoyed it!

iruet
01-19-2018, 11:06 PM
Most important thing, I think that Anno Union users should be able to add their own ideas to pool too. Developers don't have to select them to 1800 even they success really good, but at least they get our opinion on how we would like things to be and what players really like.

We were allowed to ask anything, just not everything was answered ^^

I know on the German side there were referations to the older anno games, on the English side this happened less, but there were referations about those too, mostly regarding features people liked and if they want to implement features the same way...

Roundtable should also be in place that get maximum number of Anno Union users to see it easily and it should have long active time to get as big sampling as possible.

This was possible, everyone can join the Annoverse discord (https://discord.gg/V4xhZ8Z), it's free...

And just another picture to prove the popularity (just over 3,5 hours of that chat being open):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/372128553031958531/404031278346665994/snap_screen_20180119225524.png

And Admin Medaurus talking about the popularity:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/372762637739753472/404032631534125057/snap_screen_20180119230105.png

So yes, you could join, eventhough the time for BB is limited and you need a discord account to join!

I think that 3hrs of speaking with BB is more than enough for them and us, why would you want it to be online longer? Just so others who haven't spoken yet can join? I guess that is too intensive for Ubi/BB to do that, eventhough it would be nice for us players to have a 24 hr talksession.... But keep it realistic please, it is an extra they offer to the community, so let's be happy they offer this 3 hr talksession :)

I would have loved to see the session go on for longer, but unfortuanatly BB just doesn't have the time and resources to do so :)

AgmasGold
01-20-2018, 12:35 PM
You have to remember, this is a completely optional thing for BB to do, they are under no obligation to hold any of these events or even maintain the Anno Union. Volty's voice was already pretty much worn out by the end of the roundtable before, it just wouldn't be feasible to have the roundtable any longer than it already was.

ruuti0
01-20-2018, 12:57 PM
There has been some big misunderstanding from my side, since I had very hurry to read information and I didn't get it right what whole point was.

I didn't understand what Discord was and how roundtable idea worked.

I thought that people could vote different things (even before chat part opening) that what you wanted to 1800 and then you could take part of chat (not voice chat) where Ubisoft workers could tell their opinios about votes and you could talk about them.

3 hours non-stop speaking is surely taxing for anybody, no doubt.
I didn't mean that anybody would have to speak for 3 hours or even have 3 hours long session for questions,
With "Roundtable should also be in place that get maximum number of Anno Union users to see it easily and it should have long active time to get as big sampling as possible." I meant that we should had vote pool in place where most site visitors could see it easily (like front-page) for long time (obviously I had really badly misunderstand idea of Discord and Roundtable). Roundtable (or Discord) clearly didn't have anything to do with voting, what I didn't know.

Is there somewhere record of first roundtable?

If I am not working next time when they make roundtable I will take part of it.

Is it possible that people who for example have work during roundtable time, could leave their question there early somehow and later listen roundtable record?

I admit that I still don't competely understand how Discord or Roundtable works.

iruet
01-20-2018, 02:49 PM
There has been some big misunderstanding from my side, since I had very hurry to read information and I didn't get it right what whole point was.

I thought that people could vote different things (even before chat part opening) that what you wanted to 1800 and then you could take part of chat (not voice chat) where Ubisoft workers could tell their opinios about votes and you could talk about them.

3 hours non-stop speaking is surely taxing for anybody, no doubt.
I didn't mean that anybody would have to speak for 3 hours or even have 3 hours long session for questions,
With "Roundtable should also be in place that get maximum number of Anno Union users to see it easily and it should have long active time to get as big sampling as possible." I meant that we should had vote pool in place where most site visitors could see it easily (like front-page) for long time (obviously I had really badly misunderstand idea of Discord and Roundtable). Roundtable (or Discord) clearly didn't have anything to do with voting, what I didn't know.

If I am not working next time when they make roundtable I will take part of it.

Is it possible that people who for example have work during roundtable time, could leave their question there early somehow and later listen roundtable record?

I admit that I still don't competely understand how Discord or Roundtable works.

This is some information about discord: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discord_(software)

Yes there is, but it aint public. The recordings are used for BB themselve, so they can review the discussed topics and use them as ideas for ingame features..

Coma and join the discord, it's fun there: https://discord.gg/V4xhZ8Z. You will find out what it is to be there (and you can join for the next roundtable then (it has been practically confirmed there will be another one ^^)

AgmasGold
01-20-2018, 03:44 PM
You can also look through the chat to see some of the questions people asked (its locked so BB can also use it without it being changed or edited) - but all the answers (and some questions) were verbal.

Ubi-O5
01-24-2018, 04:43 PM

Hey ruuti0,

at its core, Discord (https://discordapp.com/features) is a text-based chat with voice chat capabilities where everyone can create their own Server and two members of the Anno Community, made the Annoverse (https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1774720-Annoverse) Server for Anno Fans who speak English or German.
So it's not hosted by Ubisoft or BlueByte, but a few hundred Annoholics are on this server, ready to talk about the gameseries in general and you can also join several different servers about various topics or create your own to have a voicechat with your friends. You can also join the server without having to create an account, but having an account adds a bit of persistence and people know that it's going to be you once you register the account.
It's also got a great synchronisation with it's mobile app, which i particularly cherish.

Now, the roundtable itself is basically us Ubi and BB guys hosting a short session of QnA that people can ask us live, either directly in voice or in the accompanying text-chat - so you don't have to talk if you're not comfortable with that. Basti made a point in switching between taking questions from chat or from voice so nothing was missed. The focus of these round tables is, that it's a live event, so there's no pre-submitting of messages.

There is no public recording of it available, but as others have said, the server kept a log of the roundtable accompanying text-chat which is viewable for anyone.

banan1996.1996
01-24-2018, 07:24 PM
Unfortunately I was very busy during the week when roundtable had place so I didn't take part in it. But I think it's a great way of communication between Annoholics and a BB team. From what I've just read I assume it could have been quite messy as no specific topic was chosen. I think those roundtables should have some specific topic which should be announced beforehand so that we can prepare some questions. I know it was the first roundtable so that was more of a test - I guess.

Another thing is that recordings of those roundtables could be really useful for those who couldn't be present. I just hope I wouldn't miss anything important if I weren't there.

ruuti0
01-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Hey ruuti0,

at its core, Discord (https://discordapp.com/features) is a text-based chat with voice chat capabilities where everyone can create their own Server and two members of the Anno Community, made the Annoverse (https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1774720-Annoverse) Server for Anno Fans who speak English or German.
So it's not hosted by Ubisoft or BlueByte, but a few hundred Annoholics are on this server, ready to talk about the gameseries in general and you can also join several different servers about various topics or create your own to have a voicechat with your friends. You can also join the server without having to create an account, but having an account adds a bit of persistence and people know that it's going to be you once you register the account.
It's also got a great synchronisation with it's mobile app, which i particularly cherish.

Now, the roundtable itself is basically us Ubi and BB guys hosting a short session of QnA that people can ask us live, either directly in voice or in the accompanying text-chat - so you don't have to talk if you're not comfortable with that. Basti made a point in switching between taking questions from chat or from voice so nothing was missed. The focus of these round tables is, that it's a live event, so there's no pre-submitting of messages.

There is no public recording of it available, but as others have said, the server kept a log of the roundtable accompanying text-chat which is viewable for anyone.

Thank you for very detailed answer!

I just installed Discord and joined your channel and I have to admit, Discord looks really good and solid program!

I will start reading earlier messages when I have more time, looks like there are plenty!

Keep up good work! :) You guys are doing really important job and we Annoholics are very thankful!
Anno series have gave me so many good moments in life. :)

AgmasGold
01-24-2018, 10:53 PM
@banana1996.1996 I can say that the Roundtable was very organised and not chaotic at all, at least in the English one. I kind of went into it with the same idea as you, that it would be a bit messy, but it was actually really civilised, and I can definitely recommend it if you get the chance to attend the next one (whenever that may be).

iruet
01-26-2018, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately I was very busy during the week when roundtable had place so I didn't take part in it. But I think it's a great way of communication between Annoholics and a BB team. From what I've just read I assume it could have been quite messy as no specific topic was chosen. I think those roundtables should have some specific topic which should be announced beforehand so that we can prepare some questions. I know it was the first roundtable so that was more of a test - I guess.

Another thing is that recordings of those roundtables could be really useful for those who couldn't be present. I just hope I wouldn't miss anything important if I weren't there.

Actually, it was not really messy. Questions from both chats were answered and the topics were quite good. It barely happened that anyone interfered with other speakers, and if that happened appologies were made :)

I think that is the power of the Anno community, it's a friendly bunch players which repect eachother :)

OOPS: I did not notice agmas already answered :(

But I agree with the point agmas made: it was not messy. And it was very usefull for us players :)

iruet
05-07-2018, 01:24 PM
I have seen that new preperations for streams are happening, is there going to be a roundtable again too?

Yeah I know you did it in your own time Basti, but I really liked it and you said it was really usefull to you as dev too :)

I am interested to learn more about the questions from the community and I would really love to know what others want to know and the answers to these questions :)