PDA

View Full Version : OT Von Richthofens Flying Circus paint schemes

nsteense
11-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Everybody knows the Fokker triplane of famed ace Manfred Von Richthofen was painted bright red. I also know that the other airplanes in his Jasta were painted in all kinds of gaudily colors, like yellow-red, white-black,...
But is there somewhere an overview of all the paint schemes of the airplanes and to which pilot it belong?

nsteense
11-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Everybody knows the Fokker triplane of famed ace Manfred Von Richthofen was painted bright red. I also know that the other airplanes in his Jasta were painted in all kinds of gaudily colors, like yellow-red, white-black,...
But is there somewhere an overview of all the paint schemes of the airplanes and to which pilot it belong?

Blutarski2004
11-14-2007, 05:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nsteense:
But is there somewhere an overview of all the paint schemes of the airplanes and to which pilot it belong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... There is an IMMENSE amount of stuff on the web about WW1 a/c. For starters, visit the Aerodrome Forum.

Low_Flyer_MkIX
11-14-2007, 06:05 AM
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/416/59/2

Look for Jasta 11 'planes in the profiles on the right. Hope it helps.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-14-2007, 07:14 AM
I just spent over an hour cruising through that site...Thanks.

luftluuver
11-14-2007, 12:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nsteense:
But is there somewhere an overview of all the paint schemes of the airplanes and to which pilot it belong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The base unit color for the Baron's unit was red.

Other Jastas had common unit markings.

Jasta Boelke had one stab/elevator black and the other side white, white rudder with thin black outline
Jasta 6 had white (5) and black (4 and tips) stripes on the stab/elevator
Jasta 11 had white stab/elevator with narrow redish brown stripes (8) and a white rear fuselage with with redish brown stripes
Jasta 15 had white stab/elevator with wide black stripes (3 per side) aligned with the stab leading edge
Jasta 19 had yellow stab/elevator with 1 wide black stripe per side at an angle
Jasta 27 had a yellow stab/elevator with a black anchor

Cowls and interplane struts sometimes had the primary unit color applied.

luftluuver
11-14-2007, 12:24 PM
dp

luftluuver
11-14-2007, 12:25 PM
dp

PBNA-Boosher
11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Jasta 5, I believe, had Green tails. Jagdgeschwader Berthold seems to have had a fad of black tails for a while, I'd need more time to look into it.

nsteense
11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the answers! Very usefull http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif