PDA

View Full Version : The name of your character...

LordKrillos
01-13-2018, 09:50 PM
There is something I have been wondering about the name of the protagonist. Will you be able to name the character yourself (the one that will never be mentioned in a spoken dialogue) or will the game pick a unisex name for your character (similar to Shepard’s name in Mass Effect-series)?

Personally, I like it if it were the latter. It feels more engaged if your character’s name is mentioned in cutscenes and such.

What do you guys think?

KIERROK
01-14-2018, 01:50 AM
It's likely we'll be able to create a name for our character(s), but it'll show up in books and computers. We probably will get a spoken unisex nickname like Elder Scrolls Online: Vestige, Skyrim: Dragonborn, Ghost Recon Wildands: Nomad and as you mentioned, Mass Effect.

This also brings up the question... will our character be voiced? Who'll be the VAs, and will we get a slider for tone to fit certain character types. OR. Will we be silent? I'm ok with either.

Cara2100
01-14-2018, 05:46 PM
I would still rather have a character already created for me, the immersion gets bigger

Legion-495
01-14-2018, 07:46 PM
We should clarify. Any VoiceActor is okay. DO NOT take people for promotion.
I have seen it and it is terrible. That happend in the german version from Just Cause 2 to Just Cause 3.
Voice Actors should be taken on their skill.

I would still rather have a character already created for me, the immersion gets bigger
I personally believe the majority of players deny that. Like almost any great OpenWorld title features character creation.
It would be missed. That is probably why "Geralt of Riva" got more hair styles later.
The point of a creator is a mental thing. It lets players be in the game and or what a player wants to be. It is something people can identify with. The more you know about human brains :)
Not saying there aren't exception but there is a reason even shooter have character styles to choose from. Being a individual and here it gets very important due to the multiplayer feature. Showing your character, yourself.
You have to admit it would be weird having 2 or more identical protagonists due to multiplayer or something.
Presets will probably exist for the people wanting a fast entry.

After all effectively no one losses something on a creator but everyone gets more options... in general I greet options. You would have to explain to me how being forced to play as a certain person makes a immersion bigger rather than having my virtual self being in the very same position?

Also like almost any great OpenWorld title ended up having a Nickname for the player :)
Quite predictable this situation.

atubaboun
02-02-2018, 03:08 PM
After all effectively no one losses something on a creator but everyone gets more options... in general I greet options. You would have to explain to me how being forced to play as a certain person makes a immersion bigger rather than having my virtual self being in the very same position?

The immersion is not necessarely bigger, but its different in a way that can make it more intense.
When creating a game, You set the story so that it is lived by the protagonist: You in most cases. Thats where you see the difference in stories between games that let you create a full character and play as YOU and games that let you EMBODY a character.
take skyrim and BGE1:
In skyrim you are basically what you choose to become and you can interact with people the way you please, but the game has to make so that the way you interact with them doesn't have too much impact, because you main quest is already set. Whoever you are, you are the dragonborn and you will defeat alduin.
In BGE you are not really jade, but see everything through her eyes. You feel her affection for pey'j and the kids, you understand her determination to work with IRIS.

I know there are degrees of interaction with the universe and the way your character interacts( e.g The witcher 3) But the difference Is in the fact that your charachter Is "real" in its own universe or not. damn it's hard to put in words...

It can be easier to build a good story and a good universe when you know how the protagonist will react, express emotions.
And it make it feel more real if the character has HISTORY, you don't find old friends in skyrim because basically you don't exist before the moment when you start playing, nobody call you by a NAME and that can be a barrier to empathy with the characters. Nobody really knows you because you aren't really here, you're just a projection of yourself in another universe, not a character of this universe that is being led by a player.

That said, i'd really love to create my own charachter in BGE2 and be a part of the universe, i'm sure the team has found a way to make it great.

Legion-495
02-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Oh man I wonder how you think about MassEffect then. It also has a creator^^

atubaboun
02-02-2018, 04:47 PM
never played the games :/

KIERROK
02-02-2018, 07:40 PM
never played the games :/

Pretty good series. Andromeda was ok, nothing like 2 or 3 (Yes I loved '3' people). ME: was more RPG. 2: was 50 RPG 50 shooter. 3: was 30% RPG 70 shooter. Andromeda was kinda like ME2's 50/50, but you chose your skill and play style, where 1-3 had set classes... Biotic space wizard FTW BABY!