PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids and tails?

KIERROK
01-13-2018, 04:57 AM
I wrote this in another thread and was requested to put here.

I think they should include tails for hybrids, or give the choice to have a tail or not. It could also be a status thing. Docked tail = slave and/or created, where as a hybrid with a tail = a hybrid born free. This could help with RolePlaying, too. Because you could choose if your hybrid was or wasn't a slave. What are your opinions?

Legion-495
01-13-2018, 11:13 AM
I would say if a Tail is shaved should indicate that.
Which also brings up the mechanic of letting fur grow much like Geralts beard in Witcher 3. On top of that a hybrid could sneak in as "slave" that way too. Also it might inidicate how many you have helped.

I somewhat hope we get physical objects for tails rather than animated ones. But that is probably very complicated. If we even got a option for that.

KIERROK
01-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Now back in 2003 we can assume this would likely be due to animation problems. This could work with the lore too. This would explain why the Hillys hybrids had no tails. Maybe the Hillys hybrids were all once former slaves? They're all adults, so this could be a probable reason.

As for the orphans, isn't the goat kid the only hybrid? If so, it could just be said his tail in stuffed in his pants (no pun), because goats have small, almost stub like tails. The status of tail or no tail would also (hopefully) keep lore buffs happy "BGE2 is lore breaking, Hybrids didn't have tails in BGE1"--- yada yada etc etc. This would actually explain why the hybrids of Hillys had no tails.

Legion-495
01-13-2018, 06:51 PM
I would write it down on a uncontrolable defect which ended up in the majority of the first gen hybrids having no tails at all. I want to avoid the docked tails here to be honest^^

But yes it would be lore friendly to have the tails docked. Maybe we can write that down as being a city thing too.
Or also indicate the slave rank. I could imagine slaves under slaves being a thing.
A hybrid only gets his tail cut if a certain condition is reached? Like being freely available on the market.
I imagine that hybrids are probably made for someone and if for any reason that person doesn't want his "product" that happens. Hybrids not turning out as they wanted yet they try to make money from a hybrid.

I would want to have a mix between tails and non-tails in a city.
Anyway we need them tails. I would like them, even tho I know it is probably a hard task. I think if modders made a physical tail with the havok physics engine for Skyrim this dev team could make that too... it is complex... kinda the ultimate physics challenge^^ Probably not worth the time :/ I would be happy.

The-Pancaker
01-16-2018, 07:37 PM
I like the tail idea. But is the bottom of the body not the humanoid part?
Anyway, i like the idea...
I am trying to picture what would the shark hybrid would be looking like...... haha :-)

KIERROK
01-17-2018, 02:23 AM
I like the tail idea. But is the bottom of the body not the humanoid part?
Anyway, i like the idea...
I am trying to picture what would the shark hybrid would be looking like...... haha :-)

I don't know your beliefs, but just for argument sake (actually a calm conversation but you get the gist) according to evolution, as well when we're embryos, humans had a tail. We lost them because we don't need them anymore. So, being humanoid wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

As for a shark:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warriorsofmyth/images/6/63/Rokea_by_Secolin.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/358?cb=20120527012455
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warriorsofmyth/images/c/c7/D6ae868ecd43af810f32b49eb9f9451e.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/339?cb=20131022022837
https://orig00.deviantart.net/eb47/f/2014/183/9/e/shark_humanoid_concept_by_lionsketch-d7oyy0u.jpg

Can't show the next for whatever reason, just follow link. This one is actually cool.
https://d-infinity.net/game-content/runequest-thursday-37-infestation-carcharids

The-Pancaker
01-18-2018, 12:42 PM
...humans had a tail.

Yes indeed, you are right... I have to say that the shark does look great. In fact, the tail makes more sense. like the picture with the fins, it also makes more sense...
I believe the attributes of each species would make sense to be integrated in the hybrids.
The long hears of the rabbits or the shell of the snails... (idea?)

http://cdn.wolfire.com/blog/Mystic.jpg
https://cdn.weasyl.com/static/media/4e/b4/a5/4eb4a549ced0283817a643d545a941a07e914be9a48a8a8b9f 81f5289b5fb2eb.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0d/22/18/0d2218579c5210ca9f9383e19faed1c2--snails-jack-oconnell.jpg

Legion-495
01-18-2018, 02:58 PM
I see "Flash the Snail" becoming a thing. But I expect this is not a thing since I don't see any valuable reason to create a hybrid snail... Maybe like to carry a lot of stuff?
Then again in the BGE2 Universe one with money could do that probably.

So to sum that up. We want each hybrid to have clear traits like tails, fins, ears, fur patterns, digitigrade and stuff like a snail house.
Btw that totally reminded me about that music video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nlSDxvt6JU)^^

Ha I just had a Idea like big giant snails where people live on ^-^ We have big planets so we could use them to fill out the landscape a bit with like snail tribes or so. It would make sense to do the same with Turtles.

KIERROK
01-21-2018, 05:22 AM
Yes indeed, you are right... I have to say that the shark does look great. In fact, the tail makes more sense. like the picture with the fins, it also makes more sense...
I believe the attributes of each species would make sense to be integrated in the hybrids.
The long hears of the rabbits or the shell of the snails... (idea?)

I tried to reply earlier, but I had an issue with my email. I had an old hotmail/MSN email associated with this account and needed verified, but it no longer exists. So I had to switch my main email... x_x It was a headache. I hope this gets through the chains of command, but someone in support chat by the name of Christopher H, was EXTREMELY nice and helpful. I hope he's showered with good fortune, that's no joke.

Now to my reply, @The-Pancaker When you say atts, do you mean like sharks able to use gills to breath underwater? It was said by Gabrielle Shrager, during the stream video, that (at least that's what I think) certain hybrids would have traits. So maybe a shark won't run out of oxygen, due to its gills.

The-Pancaker
01-27-2018, 12:58 AM
Now to my reply, @The-Pancaker When you say atts, do you mean like sharks able to use gills to breath underwater? It was said by Gabrielle Shrager, during the stream video, that (at least that's what I think) certain hybrids would have traits. So maybe a shark won't run out of oxygen, due to its gills.

Fire the attributes, I meant all that we would associate with the animal. So your first shark picture is my favorite für the gills indeed but also fins on the head and on the arms. The second picture only has the head fin and the third picture, well... it is more of an hair cut... lol.
So yes, gills definitely. Fins also.
And for other animals:
Rabbit: long hears, long and powerful leg
Bits: feathers ask over the body. The question could be to have hands covered with feathers or wings?
Camel: the hump ok the back
Snail: the telescopic dues and shell
Tiger: the task, face and the stripes.
Etc.

And since I started the subject, what about the hands of all those hybrids, are the hands will be a decision of our five fingers including the opposite thumb? Or the number of finger will depend on the animal as well like the concept of the pig prostitute with 3 fingers???

Because then, the shark well have difficulties to hold a gun if the "hands" are fins... I don't see nemo shooting a plasma gun. Haha

KIERROK
01-27-2018, 04:54 AM
I think it'll depend on species, because Zhou Yuzhu in the announcement trailer had two fingers and a thumb.

ElPrimordial
01-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Well I think would depend on the task each hybrid is designed for, since there are printed like a tool, scientist would create an hybrid that satisfy the particular needs that certain task or job require. That's why we can see five finger hands in some hybrids like the shark and rhino meanwhile others have less like the piggies. Apparently all piggies so far were mascots, and that's the reason they have only three fingers...

Of course this is my very personal opinion, thinking in very practical, realistic way, since create an hybrid must have a cost and a reason to be.

KIERROK
02-01-2018, 05:06 PM
I just spotted a monkey tail in the latest dev question, concept art https://bgegame.com/2018/02/01/devs-ask-space-monkeys-3 at bottom left. Granted, we've seen this art before, but I JUST noticed the tail. Soo... tails are a "maybe"? :confused:

Legion-495
02-01-2018, 05:21 PM
I just spotted a monkey tail in the latest dev question, concept art https://bgegame.com/2018/02/01/devs-ask-space-monkeys-3/#comment-3913 at bottom left. Granted, we've seen this art before, but I JUST noticed the tail. Soo... tails are a "maybe"? :confused:

Did not notice. Thanks for that information!

Ganet2
02-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Oh I see it! I want them in. <_<

Optional mayhaps? That's always nice.

IT-Tom
02-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Yes! Just, yes! ^_^

atubaboun
02-04-2018, 03:00 PM
It must depend on species, if the one that has been crossed with Homo sapiens has a tail, cuz it can't come from the human part.
Like, Knox can't have a tail, because none of the species he's made of have tails.
And it may also depend on the imprtance of said tail for the specie, in some cases they are an instrument for balance like for felines, primates and squirrels. Some have roles that are social like mice or dogs. And some have tails which are roles that are 'less important' or are vestigial ( have very little to no importance but are present as a remnent of evolutionary history)

Rhinos have tails, but they are relatively small compared to the entire body and its role is primarely protecting the anus from infections. So we could imagine that Rhinoceros sapiens have no tails, ot that they are small and dispensable enough to hide in clothing.

And the presence of a tail is likely to be function of the way the different genes of a species have been recombined to create a viable hybrid, which is still very mysterious.
I think we even saw in the space monket live report that the character creation tool could mix Homo sapiens with MORE THAN ONE OTHER species (they showed sharks, apes, crocodile and dog hybrids) to different degrees.

Ganet2
02-04-2018, 05:17 PM
That'd be curious. Can you imagine a crocodile tailed shark eyed rabbit? So odd.

That's the risk with gene-splicing I guess. Someone's going to try it because they can.

KIERROK
02-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Knox's been called a monkey, both in trailer and Michel Ancel. I assumed in trailer, it was a derogatory racial slur. Like, all monkeys are apes, but not all apes are monkeys. I always think of Knox as a chimp.

atubaboun
02-04-2018, 07:43 PM
that's another thing. In nature hybrids between two animals of different genus can never produce viable hybrids, if they can even mate their offspring will be dead before birth of at least sterile.

So there must have been some discovery in genetics and GMO production that allow to create animals with genomes made from genes of different species and still be viable. In theory it's "possible", but would require extreme knowledge of the genomes of the species used, perfect precision and conditions for eventual zygote devellopment & a high number of attempts to get one right. not to mention lots, LOTS of MONEYMONEYMONEY

But I imagine a 300 years jump and a bit of video-game magis makes it a lot easier ;) .

ElPrimordial
02-04-2018, 08:01 PM
That'd be curious. Can you imagine a crocodile tailed shark eyed rabbit? So odd.

That's the risk with gene-splicing I guess. Someone's going to try it because they can.

Oh man! Your post made me remember the Wuzzles!!!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NNOvO2ahcNs/TBI-dPOKgCI/AAAAAAAAAa4/koq6AFYSiZY/s1600/wuzzles.jpg

Ganet2
02-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Heh. I never saw that one as a kid.

To be honest can't remember which I saw off the top of my head. I think I was more of a documentary and sci-fi kid. But those be some curious looking critters.

ElPrimordial
02-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Yeah, probably if you're in 20s-30s, you didn't have the chance to watch it.

atubaboun
02-04-2018, 11:19 PM
Knox's been called a monkey, both in trailer and Michel Ancel. I assumed in trailer, it was a derogatory racial slur. Like, all monkeys are apes, but not all apes are monkeys. I always think of Knox as a chimp.

Oups, that's what I meant too :/ Excuse my english, i though apes was a synonim for chimpanzee
But i'm confused tho, i thought all apes were monkeys, like all monkeys were primates. Did i get my definitions wrong ?

KIERROK
02-04-2018, 11:51 PM

Sounds like the Hindu god Makara. Except he has a crocodile/elephant torso/head and a fish tail. His look varies.

kenonu
02-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Not all creatures have tails so not all hybrids will, (and I hate to say this cause I'm African)so there has to be some sort of slave mark or tattoo for none tailed hybrids and tailed hybrids who are not slaves should be rare to find.
As for the option of choosing if your hybrid is free or slave, who would want to choose slavery? except there's some kinda perk that comes with it eg. cutting the tail of a dog makes it more aggresive and huge.

KIERROK
02-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Not all creatures have tails so not all hybrids will, (and I hate to say this cause I'm African)so there has to be some sort of slave mark or tattoo for none tailed hybrids and tailed hybrids who are not slaves should be rare to find.
As for the option of choosing if your hybrid is free or slave, who would want to choose slavery? except there's some kinda perk that comes with it eg. cutting the tail of a dog makes it more aggresive and huge.

You don't roleplay, often. Do ya?

And yes, we're aware not all animals have a tail. Knox is a chimpanzee (I feel monkey was an offense name, not actual species). No, cutting a dog's tail don't make it aggressive, and please don't use Dobermans as an example. Dobies are some of the sweetest dogs, and if you don't crop their ears and dock their tail. They look like silly dopey dogs. Same with Pitbulls and Boxers. Media and idiot trainers (Dog fighters) are to blame. The docking and cropping, are done to make the dogs look mean, but it doesn't make them aggressive or huge. A tail has no hormones, its job it to keep balance in trees, slippery surfaces, and as a signal. You can learn alot from a dog, just by the way it's holding its tail. Like cats, I've had a dog all my life.

UbiBorghal
02-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Oh man! Your post made me remember the Wuzzles!!!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NNOvO2ahcNs/TBI-dPOKgCI/AAAAAAAAAa4/koq6AFYSiZY/s1600/wuzzles.jpg

Wow, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I used to watch this with the Latin American dub, and the character's names were hilarious.

ElPrimordial
02-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Wow, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I used to watch this with the Latin American dub, and the character's names were hilarious.

Yeah I also found their names very funny and quite imaginative.

So_sly_354
02-20-2018, 04:33 AM
I think you should have options like whether or not to have a tail or fins or any thing like that, also fur growth like geralts beard in the witcher 3 that would be so sick that and also barber shops. Please see this message.

Legion-495
02-20-2018, 03:29 PM
I think you should have options like whether or not to have a tail or fins or any thing like that, also fur growth like geralts beard in the witcher 3 that would be so sick that and also barber shops. Please see this message.

I so agree with that xD
If there is no in house tech I would really like to see what TressFX3.0 can do.

KIERROK
02-20-2018, 04:27 PM

Cool idea but personally not sure about growth (at least not with a toggle). It was cool at first in Witcher, and a surprise. I had a look I liked, then after a while after a cutscene *BOOM* beard. Eventually it got annoying. I'm not against it, there should be an option for those who don't want hair growth and those who do.

Legion-495
02-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Cool idea but personally not sure about growth (at least not with a toggle). It was cool at first in Witcher, and a surprise. I had a look I liked, then after a while after a cutscene *BOOM* beard. Eventually it got annoying. I'm not against it, there should be an option for those who don't want hair growth and those who do.

Or we need a free shaving at the mothership xD
Well I wonder if that could even made visible to have hair growth.
As it stands I do not think that such a option would be a lot work if this feature exists. So having a option to turn it off should be a rather easy task.

KIERROK
02-24-2018, 02:03 AM
Or we need a free shaving at the mothership xD
Well I wonder if that could even made visible to have hair growth.
As it stands I do not think that such a option would be a lot work if this feature exists. So having a option to turn it off should be a rather easy task.

That too