PDA

View Full Version : Help a nugget take off!

Smakyomama
04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi. I recently purchased IL2 1946. While I am not new to "arcade" style flight sims, the realism of IL2 is proving challenging. I can perform some near blackout high-g manouevers smoothly, and am able to fight vs. ace ai with identical plane 1v1.

One thing I seem to be unable to do is take-off in a heavy crosswind. I am currently playing a I-16 Leningrad front mission that involves taking off during a thunder storm. When the mission starts the plane immediately starts to turn to the left and if I do nothing, it will orient itself at about 90 degrees perpendicular to the runway. I can see in external view that the rudder is being moved by the wind. So far I have been applying full wheel brakes, giving opposite rudder, and locking the tailwheel. (I have yet to really learn about the aircraft, so I dont even know if it has a lockable tailwheel, but the knowledge will come in time.) Next I start the engine. I have been able to use a throttle/rudder combination to get the plane straight again, but when I increase the throttle to take-off power and release the wheelbrakes no amount of opposite rudder seems to do anything and I bail it into the nearby field.

I have been trying different ways to use the throttle from slowly and evenly, to gun it to maximum, but results seem to be the same.

I have read posts for a few days now and am aware of the training missions people have made to download, but I still have to learn my PC better before I go messing with files and directories and such. So anyway, I thought I'd just ask instead and see what kind of help I might be able to get. Anything is appreciated. THANKS

Smakyomama
04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi. I recently purchased IL2 1946. While I am not new to "arcade" style flight sims, the realism of IL2 is proving challenging. I can perform some near blackout high-g manouevers smoothly, and am able to fight vs. ace ai with identical plane 1v1.

One thing I seem to be unable to do is take-off in a heavy crosswind. I am currently playing a I-16 Leningrad front mission that involves taking off during a thunder storm. When the mission starts the plane immediately starts to turn to the left and if I do nothing, it will orient itself at about 90 degrees perpendicular to the runway. I can see in external view that the rudder is being moved by the wind. So far I have been applying full wheel brakes, giving opposite rudder, and locking the tailwheel. (I have yet to really learn about the aircraft, so I dont even know if it has a lockable tailwheel, but the knowledge will come in time.) Next I start the engine. I have been able to use a throttle/rudder combination to get the plane straight again, but when I increase the throttle to take-off power and release the wheelbrakes no amount of opposite rudder seems to do anything and I bail it into the nearby field.

I have been trying different ways to use the throttle from slowly and evenly, to gun it to maximum, but results seem to be the same.

I have read posts for a few days now and am aware of the training missions people have made to download, but I still have to learn my PC better before I go messing with files and directories and such. So anyway, I thought I'd just ask instead and see what kind of help I might be able to get. Anything is appreciated. THANKS

ROXunreal
04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
you do know that by holding/tapping the wheel brakes and applying rudder at the same time you are only braking on the wheel on the same side on which you are applying rudder? So if you pull right rudder and hold the wheel brake key, only your right wheel will brake thus making it easier to turn...

Smakyomama
04-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I keep brakes on the whole time during the start-up of the engine and while im waiting for my lead planes to take-off. If you mean applying brakes while taking off in conjunction with your rudder position - I'll try it and see what happens... This is going to be difficult as I have yet to get a real joystick and am using a gamepad but I digress. Anyway Thanks for the tip and if anybody else has suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Smakyomama
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM
..err correction. I'll let you know what happens - when I get a real flight stick. I can taxi down the runway at a good speed using the brake/rudder combo, but with a gamepad using the index finger triggers for full right/left rudder - things get out of control quickly. Especially if I have to release the rudder and don't release the brakes at the same time! Apparently all full brakes at 80KMH gets you is a face full of dirt! I am sure your advice is sound, I'll have to practice it until I get it right. But I'll have to upgrade my game gear first. Can anybody direct me to a good place to find a flight stick? I had a chance to use the Microsoft FFB once and really liked it, but I hear they're discontinued. Bummer. As always thank you for any advice you may be able to offer.

TipsyTed
04-21-2011, 06:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can see in external view that the rudder is being moved by the wind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about that?

Have you tried to take off any other planes in nice weather since this problem started? Might be a controller problem...

Zeus-cat
04-21-2011, 10:43 PM
You really need a stick to fly this sim.

I have the MS FFB stick and love it.

In the heavy crosswind it helps to use full brakes, full rudder and then run the throttle all the way up. At 100% throttle the plane should overpower the brakes and start to move forward. Let off the brakes and rudder slightly as the plane picks up speed. Once you hit 30 mph you should be good and just need to use a little rudder to stay on the runway.

Romanator21
04-21-2011, 11:58 PM
At 100% power, some planes will nose-over. If the tail comes up, release brakes and chop the power.

The issue with storms pushing your plane around the runway as if it's on ice is an old one. I suggest going into the quick mission builder and setting up some "scramble" scenarios in good weather.

If your rudder is flapping around, it's likely a controller issue.