PDA

View Full Version : Support for Nvidia SLI and AMD CF

alenjenny
01-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Let's face it. ANNO series has always been quite a looker. I've played all of them since the first Anno. In fact, each of the series is no doubt the best looking strategy / city building games ever made at the time of their releases. And Anno 2205 is no exception. However, what seems to be missing this time around (in Anno 2205) is the lack of multi-GPU support for Nvidia SLI and AMD CF that was previously present in Anno 2070. Personally, I really love to game Anno 2205 on a big monitor using 4k resolution. By setting everything to maximum details, I often find myself spending hours just mesmerized in front of the screen at the really beautiful and detailed graphics. However, setting it to maximum setting at 4k resolution can be really taxing if one does not own a very powerful GPU. I myself have two Nvidia GTX 1080 for this purpose alone, but I was a little disappointed when I found out that Anno 2205 does not support SLI, even though it's been more than 2 years after it was released. Please provide multi-GPU support in this coming Anno 1800. Other than that, keep up the excellent work! I really love what you guys are bringing to the table for each of the Anno series :D

iruet
01-12-2018, 12:36 AM
If you ask me it is undo-able to support all graphic cards... Yeah this might sound harsh, but there are currently over 500 different kind of graphic cards to be able to use... Since there are so many it is practically unpossible to support each and everyone of those... Technology is moving faster than human evolution, so keeping up with what has been released will be a pain in the back for every computer/tech fan. I do understand your suggestion, I do not think it's realistic to ask BB to add more then ten kinds of different graphic card to the official support lists....

This does not only affect the graphic card, but also browsers/software and other hardware...

AgmasGold
01-12-2018, 06:15 PM
I don't think he's asking for custom support for all graphics cards, he's just asking support for SLI and CrossFire, or support for dual graphics cards. It does add complexity, as the engine needs to be programmed so that it is aware when 2 graphics cards are available, and it also needs to be able to split its workload between them (or something like that anyway), but its not that difficult if you have the right expertise.

I think probably one of the main reasons it may not be implemented is that most people don't have 2 (or more) graphics cards, so it is a lot of expense to implement a feature that may only be used by a few people, especially as it is not essential - they will still be able to run the game at pretty decent settings with just 1 high-end discrete graphics card.

ruuti0
01-12-2018, 06:31 PM
I agree with AgmasGold that customer base that have SLI or CF is marginal at best. People with dual cards was never big customer segment in games, but that group has gotten even smaller every year and thats why developers all around world have started to not add support for SLI/CF in their new games. I can't blame Anno developers if they don't add SLI/CF support since so few people anymore use dual cards in their computers. They surely can spend that money/resources to more important things that affect to all people who play Anno.

alenjenny
01-23-2018, 05:52 AM
That's right. I was not asking for support for all custom graphic cards (what does that even mean? lol). I'm simply requesting for support for multi-GPU configuration setups, utilizing Nvidia SLI or AMD Crossfire. This support was included in Anno 2070 and it was often used as a benchmarking tool by many websites for GPU test as well as SLI test/benchmark. this shows how much this technology and support is valued by the community. Furthermore, through these benchmarks, it will also be a good 'advertisement' to promote Anno 1800. I'm sure when gamers and tech enthusiast look at these benchmarks, they will start to take notice of this game and will wonder why it is used as a benchmark. This will help further push the game's popularity and sales, thus making it an even more successful game for future Anno series game. I'm looking at this from the long term perspective and I hope the developer can see the same thing because Anno series have really been amazing games

Ferdakin
08-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Je suis tout à fait d accord avec aleny2k, le support du SLI donne à la série Anno une dimension supplémentaire, comme une vitrine technologique. Cette série est parfaitement adaptée au 3 screens (ce qui est mon cas) ou au 4k , on en prend plein les yeux. Les écrans larges se généralisent également et tout le monde veut profiter de tous les détails. Parfois, même avec de l optimisation, il n est pas possible d apprécier le jeu sur une seule carte graphique. Mais la sortie de Anno 1800 pourrait coïncider avec la sortie des Gforce Volta donc... ;)